Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
That green viral junk is destroying historic views, and you defend it because you think it "looks better" than a native like Pine? Wow.

Planting or owning property where a mimosa tree is allowed to thrive in the South is just horrible. It's just like spraying graffiti on a monument.
That's right. I am sick to death of friggin' pine plantations owned by GP, Weyerhauser, etc., not to mention "the timbermen". Any tree would be an improvement. I live in Louisiana and we have a great variety of trees that have been bulldozed in favor of friggin' pine forests. Sick, Sick, Sick!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
When we were in Pennsylvania we had them growing where they shouldn't. THey were all over our A/C condenser unit and we had to weed it often....They were very invasive to us but then again so were our strawberries we planted in a 1'x1' space. The berries doubled their space then doubled etc until they were all over our garden. We love nature and all that goes with trees, plants, fruit trees but evething has its place.

In Florida now and the only Mimosa we enjoy comes in a glass and trimmed with a lime.

Mimosas we love
1 part Champagne 2 oz Orange Juice

Mimosa trees are beautiful but very invasive....

The trees originated from China and their bark is used there for the following:

-calms spirit, relieve constrained emotions – vexation, depression, insomnia, irritability, poor memory
-invigorate blood, alleviate pain – swelling due to trauma, abscesses

I guess I should have tried the bark because I have all of the above ...hahahaha

Last edited by Synergy1; 07-12-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 07:28 PM

290 posts, read 637,356 times
Default Please Don't

Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Beautiful trees...

Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Beautiful trees...
You know your stance on this is like saying, I want a puppy right now so I'm going to go down to petland and get a puppy mill puppy because I want it, I want it, I want it.

Like Veruca Salt...
But Daddy I want an oompa loompa now!

You sound like that. But I want a the pretty flowers now, daddy! It reminds me of happy memories!!

Who cares about the consequences, daddy.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
you go shagbark....

Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,413 times
I was wondering if anybody out there knew how to get a Mimosa to bloom. I have had one for several (7) years and it is about 12 feet tall and has never had a bloom on it. I also was wondering about replanting as I had a long lost friend give me mine and would like to start another one, but all she gave me was a sprig and I stuck it in the ground and it took off, does anybody know what time of year to do that so that it will grow. I have taken cuttings a couple of times to try to start another one and still have not gotten a second one to grow.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
LOL, I guess all you have to do is wait and they will be growing all over your yard and neighborhood. Although, I have never seen it.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurahas1963 View Post
I was wondering if anybody out there knew how to get a Mimosa to bloom. I have had one for several (7) years and it is about 12 feet tall and has never had a bloom on it. I also was wondering about replanting as I had a long lost friend give me mine and would like to start another one, but all she gave me was a sprig and I stuck it in the ground and it took off, does anybody know what time of year to do that so that it will grow. I have taken cuttings a couple of times to try to start another one and still have not gotten a second one to grow.
Once that sucker starts blooming (and, at 7 years old, it will soon), you will have all the mimosas you want and then some. And the thing I hate is that it doesn't take long for those seedlings' roots to get really deep and hard to pull up.

My neighbor had one come up right next to the fence on her side and she was letting it grow. Thank goodness the power company hacked it down (it was under the lines). Now, 3 years later, I still have to keep it hacked down every year....still resprouting! (she doesn't care about it anymore, no time to fool with her yard....I don't want it there because it's too close to the crepe myrtles on my side of the fence, which are about 6 feet away from the fence....it would eventually crowd them out.) I pull up every seedling I find. Alas, one came up in the back yard in the middle of a huge photinia bush and was rather large before we even noticed it. My husband insisted on keeping it because he likes them. The do attract butterflies and smell nice. It's positively LOADED with seeds right now. I may be able to convince him to cut it down in a couple of years before it gets absolutely too big, but I doubt it. It's nostalgic for him, and he's really big on nostalgia.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 AM

596 posts, read 2,876,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchick30 View Post
I have 2 here and thought of putting 1 at new property, but due to this forum have found out they are invasive and did some reading.
I've read and found interesting that "Mimosa seeds have impermeable seed coats that allow them to remain dormant for years. One study showed 90% viability after five years; another Albizia species had 33% germination of seeds after 50 years in opend storage"
WOW!! Where did you find this info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden