Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Can't find the backup for it quickly but I remember reading somewhere that the Irish and the Scottish have the least amount of melanin in their skin (on average). If that's any indication of "whitest".
Maybe that explains why sometimes I feel SO pale. Most of the lines are scots or irish or scots irish with a bit of English.

Parts of me tan. Legs never did. I got left with a very elevated light sensitivity from medication even past using it and I no longer do sun exposure. I feel ghostly next to people with tans.

I use henna for red hair so it fits nicely. Of course staying out of the sun for years probably is why people think I'm twenty years younger.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
A couple of thousand years ago my ancesters left Scotland, {because they couldn't get along with anyone} and made their way over a number of years to the very secluded mountains of northern Afghanistan. They have stayed pure through all those generations except they have adopted some names like MacAllah and Mohammedston. They are so white they are almost invisible up there in their snow clad mountains. It's really been the most perfect place for them through the milleniums. All the fighting they want. Lots of sheep and goats to scwabble over and stones, lots of stones. Stones are the dearest thing to these white MacAfghan's hearts. You can do anything with them, build a house, throw them at people and slide them on ice in a game they invented called "The sliding the stones on ice game".
This is a joke, right?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 PM

81 posts, read 106,383 times
Japanese are very white individuals...i was going to respond Canada. You see I took your question to be literal and physical, now you make me wonder why they do wear that white makeup.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
Sean Connery is Scottish and Pierce Brosnan is Irish, I do not keep them very white. There is different skin colors in every country.
Both Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan are White and their natural color is light enough, but they are "dark" within their group which is considered the lightest-skinned group of Europeans(Celtic).

Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Gaelic people are the world's whitest people.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM

207 posts, read 336,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Much has been said about "white people this" and "white people that", and as far as I can tell they've all been referring to those of European extraction. However, in my decidedly unscientific personal experience, the world's whitest people do NOT come from Europe, but from Japan.

I have seen Japanese people, and Japanese females in particular, whose skin is so white as to be nearly transparent. In Japan, it seems, very white skin - particularly on females - seems to be a mark of beauty and desirability. Why else, do you suppose, have Geishas, female actors and entertainers, and other females traditionally worn white makeup?

Thoughts? Comments? Facts? Speculations?

-- Nighteyes
It's not just in Japan that the people with the lightest skin tone are considered more beautiful. I know it's huge in the Phillipines. The people with the darkest skin are considered to be the lowest class, and almost all of the higher class have very light skin. If you watch the Filipino channel, you'll see the soap operas with people that almost look white. There are lots of places in the world, that have similar beliefs.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
It's not just in Japan that the people with the lightest skin tone are considered more beautiful. I know it's huge in the Phillipines. The people with the darkest skin are considered to be the lowest class, and almost all of the higher class have very light skin. If you watch the Filipino channel, you'll see the soap operas with people that almost look white. There are lots of places in the world, that have similar beliefs.
Yep, we also know that 40% of women in the Phillipines and South Korea use skin-whitening products and usually avoids as much as possible the summer sun rays in order not to bronze.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How many of you here realise that a lot of Japanese women use artificial skin whitening/bleaching? It's a cultural thing in Asia, and I'm wondering if many here aren't aware that many of those lily-white Japanese women are not even naturally that colour. Notice how Japanese men often have a brown tan, while their girlfriends are much paler? Compare them with the peasants, the peasants in China and Japan all have definitely olive/light brown colourations - they are as dark as Sicilians. Some Japanese people if they stay out of the sun will be on the pale side, but certainly no paler than Northern Europeans. They just aren't quite AS pale. As for a lot of Asians in the West: I wouldn't be surprised if some use whitening (haven't asked them) but I know many who are religious about avoid any sunlight. Tanning isn't really part of their culture.

The palest skin belongs to the Irish and Scottish, I've found. Scandinavians seem to be able to tan better than them, despite having lighter features (blonde hair and blue eyes).
Corrrect, the fairest skin belongs to those who are most likely to burn as a group. Most East Asian when tanned are just as dark as Mediterranean and sometimes have even lower risk of skin cnaer than European Mediterraneans.
According to this study by dermatologists on various ethnic groups:
below are some generalized characteristics of various skin types from different genetic backgrounds:

Skin Characteristics of people with Anglo-Saxon origins
Fair, dry thin-skinned
Scars heal well
Signs of aging appear earlier
Burn easily in the sun
Bruising more obvious
Greater chance of skin cancer

Skin Characteristics of people with Southern Mediterranean origins
Oily, olive dark complexion
Signs of aging appear later
Cartilage tends to droop
Darker, thicker scars more common
Wrinkles appear later and in more localized areas
Skin cancer rare

Skin Characteristics of people with Northern European origins / German and Scandinavian
Fair, blue-eyed, blonde
Thin skin
Scars heal well
Signs of aging appear early
Bruising more obvious
Greater chance of skin cancer

Skin Characteristics of people with Southern European origins
Dark, oily brunette complexion
Fine wrinkling less common
Bruising lasts longer
Scars may be thicker and darker
Skin cancers less common

Skin Characteristics of people with Northern European/Irish and northern England
Ruddy freckled complexion
Red hair
Scars usually thin
Bruises easily
Pigmentation problems
Skin cancers most common in this type

Skin Characteristics of people with African origins
Signs of aging appear very late
Very little fine wrinkling
Formation of keloids is possible
Pigmentation changes may occur
Thicker cartilage hard to change
Skin cancers very rare

Genetically, this skin type is less susceptible to damage from UV radiation, although the skin can still get burned.

Skin Characteristics of people with Asian origins
Signs of aging appear late
Fine wrinkling does not usually occur
Pigmentation changes may occur
Eyelid surgery more difficult
Skin cancers very rare

We see that those of Irish and northern England, Anglo-Saxon, German/Scandinavian in that order have the highest risks to get skin cancers and not those of Asian descent. The same goes with the whitest people.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:17 AM

There two principal type of pale('very white') skins;

Type I:
Celtic type:
The flesh of this Celtic skin is not only white colored but mostly characterized with tiny pores of the skin and gives porcelain look to your body. Celtic pale skin hair color will be normally red and in some people with Celtic complexion can also have dark brown hair and blue eyes. If you have pale celtic skin, then blemishes, rashes, scars or any other injuries show up very clearly, particularly on face.You are also more prone to sun burns and other allergic reactions and infections.
People of Irish, Welsh, Scottish ancestry are the best representative of this description.

Type 2:
People with second type of pale skin color will not have as much complexion as celtic but usually have pink skin tone and therefore called as “peaches and creams”. Your skin may not be as fair or white as the celtic type but can have pinky undertones.
People with this type of complexion usually have dark blond hair or can have light brown hair.
Even for this type of pale skin, the blemishes rashes and injuries can be easily shown and also tiny small pores appear on your skin. The burning of the skin when exposed to sun is slightly less when compared with celtic skin type.

This type is well exemplified by the people of Scandinavia and the rest of Northern Europe (e.g. Dutch, northern Germans,etc...)

Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell82 View Post
The Phillipines were affected by their years of Japanese occupation---instilling a desire for whiter skin and longing for things "not Phillipino".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy