Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:02 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times

Advertisements

I am interested to know how many here have ancestors that fought in the revolutionary war. I have several ancestors that were Officers and enlisted personnel that fought in that war. Love to hear from others. What state etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:52 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,379,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I am interested to know how many here have ancestors that fought in the revolutionary war. I have several ancestors that were Officers and enlisted personnel that fought in that war. Love to hear from others. What state etc.
My wife has several. I think everyone with colonial ancestry probably is descended from someone who fought on either side.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:11 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
Several.

I have a 6th great grandfather on my paternal side who was from Switzerland and immigrated to PA in 1769, served in the Revolutionary War for 7 years as a bugler and fifer and also George Washington's barber. After the war, he moved to Ohio.

On my maternal side, I have 5th and 6th great grandfathers (father and son) in my Reiff branch from PA (the elder's father was of Swiss/German origin and immigrated in 1717) who served, though this was unusual because they were Mennonites who are pacifists and also opposed the revolution. But they served in the Pennsylvania reserves so may not have seen any action. Plus, they may have converted to Mennonites after the war though, I'm still a bit unclear on when they converted.

Another 5th and 6th great grandfathers father/son pair from my Cobb/Cobbs branch were from Virginia. The father was a Colonel and is believed to have been in his 50s or 60s when he served! His grandfather and great grandfather had immigrated from England in the 1630s so they were well established Virginians by the revolution.

In another Virginia branch, the Smiths, my 6th great grandfather was also a Colonel. I'm still unclear whether he was born in Virginia or immigrated.

Back to PA, another 5th great grandfather from my Rorer branch served (his father was from Switzerland and immigrated in 1740). I have his pension application which details his service.

All fought for the Revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My wife has several. I think everyone with colonial ancestry probably is descended from someone who fought on either side.
I'm not sure I'd say everyone - most people, yes. But a minority of people may have descended from pacifists like the Mennonites I mentioned above. If this is their only colonial ancestry or their entire ancestry (such as many practising Amish and Mennonites of today), they may not necessarily have any ancestors who served. Though some did, especially in the reserves, it was certainly not encouraged among their communities since the vast majority of them opposed it. In fact, my 1st cousin 7 times removed was a Mennonite bishop who was excommunicated for his vocal support of the Revolutionary War and started this movement: Funkite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. It was a very controversial issue for pacifists who also took their vows to the British government very seriously - most of them being Swiss/German immigrants or sons of immigrants who naturalized as British citizens in the colony.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,453,984 times
The progenitor of my father's family came to Salem Colony in Massachusets in 1630 at the age of 11, and he and at least one son served in the militia during Prince Phillips's War, then the large family he started spread out in Massachusets and Connecticut over the next couple of generations, and thence into New York just before the Revolutionary War.

At that time the family split its loyalties, with some members serving the Revolution, including one of my direct ancestors, who joined the New York Militia, while other members stayed loyal to King George and fled to Nova Scotia to avoid the conflict. That's a story that doesn't often get told.

Then along came the War of 1812 and another ancestor served in the military. I just found his pension records, when he collected $8/month for his service.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:36 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Mine were all in Virginia militia units for the most part stationed in the Western counties of our original commonwealth in what's now West Virginia and Kentucky. Some were fighting for the British immediately prior to the revolution against the Indians in Lord Dunmore's War and just switched sides with their militia units right after they got back and the colony declared its independence. In both the revolution and the War of 1812 they only fought Indian tribes allied with the British out on the frontier as they were all too far West to encounter any red coats. Some were buddies of Daniel Boone and my 5x great grandfather was captured along with Boone during the war but escaped and made his way back to Boonesboro. He later testified against Boone during a trial after he was released, claiming that Boone had sold out the settlers in exchange for his freedom. They were there during the great siege of 1778 when the Indians tried to wait them out, unsuccessfully.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 08-01-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Several from the Boston area. Our family goes back to the 1620s there.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,035,130 times
My gggg-grandfather was at Valley Forge and crossed the Delaware with Washington.

Initially I thought it odd that the man was born in 1756 but was only 4 greats away from my generation. Further investigation revealed that he was 60 when he married my gggg-grandmother (she was 24). They went on to have 8 kids, on top of the 10 kids he had by his first wife

Old 08-02-2012, 02:58 PM

29 posts, read 43,940 times
Default Relatives in the Revolutionary War

Let's see.
5th ggfather was a cabin boy aboard a British warship, jumped ship and joined the colonists. Was with Washington at Valley Forge and lost some toes to frostbite.

His wife's father and brothers were killed at the Wyoming Valley massacre.

A different 5th ggfather, was hanged by General Cleveland as a tory. His father-in-law (6th ggrandfather) and eldest son may have been hanged alongside him.

There are a few lines I haven't gotten that far back on yet so who knows what else I'll find.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Interesting stories. Thank you.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quite a few on my mother's side because they settled in Massachusetts in the early 1600s and by the Revolution had spread out into CT, NH, VT and some still in MA. I had one family who were Royalists and they gave up their land and fled to Canada after the war. I didn't have anyone famous, just men who went to war and fought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy