Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times

Advertisements

The term American does not suggest a class. The term African America suggests a sub-class or a low class of American...Get rid of the term...Black people in America have no connection to Africa what so ever. Most believe that Africa is a country and do not even realize it is a continent...Here is how stupid it gets when using this term... A couple of years ago there were riots in parts of Europe. They were immigrants from Africa who had taken to the streets...They had a connection to continent of Africa because they directly from there.

Mean while CNN had a head line...African Americans riot in France...what the hell? They were not from America...The should have said -AFRICAN AFRICANS RIOT IN FRANCE.

The term African American started off in good intention - The proud African heritage movement..the ROOTS thing..the black is beautiful ear...NOW when you hear the term...you don't think of noble black people...When you hear the term African American - You have visions of Detroit - of poor people- of criminals. AMERICANS ARE AMERICANS....lately I wanted to vomit...Some idiot in CANADA wants to insert the tilte here...Afro-Canadian..............I could just slap that politically correct fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
OK, if people want to call you African American it is probably in an attempt to show respect. For those who are close to you, you can inform them what you prefer.

I've also been told that American Indians do NOT wish to be referred to as Native Americans. I say, fine. People have the right to be called whatever they want.

But this is a small problem really. I doubt there is any malice in the term African American.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:42 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
OK, if people want to call you African American it is probably in an attempt to show respect. For those who are close to you, you can inform them what you prefer.

I've also been told that American Indians do NOT wish to be referred to as Native Americans. I say, fine. People have the right to be called whatever they want.

But this is a small problem really. I doubt there is any malice in the term African American.
I agree, it's really not. There are plenty of Blacks in this country that don't have a problem being called African American and I am one of them. All it means is that you are an American of African descent. The term wasn't created to establish some sort of class system in which white people can look down on, as that is just silly. I understand what the OP is trying to say but a lot of these other posters are clearly blowing things out of proportion.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 06-26-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Well, some non-black Africans have a five-or-six generation lineage and heritage in Africa. So at what point do they get to call themselves African?
Culturally they can see themselves as African but from an ancestral perspective, they are not African. If they come to the United States they are not considered African American, which is how it should be.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:28 AM

393 posts, read 1,496,990 times
I'm proud of all my ancestral roots (not necessarily proud of certain things they've done), and I see nothing wrong in celebrating the cultures of family members who came before me. I'm part of all of them. My nationality is American. I was born here and raised all over this country and overseas. I don't take offense when people call me Polynesian or Latina or Asian or whatever ethnic term they wish to use. Yes, some people do take offense if they're called Chinese-American rather than just American, but if you have a problem with it just calmly explain to the person why you prefer another term. There's no reason to get angry because someone doesn't know your preferences. They might believe they're using the term out of respect.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:08 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Just because someone moves to the United States, that does not make them a U.S. citizen. They would have to become naturalized. Otherwise, they would still be called German or French, etc. even though they reside in America.
So do you think that every person in the U.S. who, because of their skin color, is labeled African-American are citizens?

I think not.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:22 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Not necessarily because Charlize Theron is not of African descent unlike Black Americans are. Therefore she cannot be African American.
If that's true then only Native Americans can be called American. Africa is a continent, not a race.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
So do you think that every person in the U.S. who, because of their skin color, is labeled African-American are citizens?

I think not.
I think some people would call Nelson Mandela African American. Would he be African-African?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:34 AM

The term exists as a way for people to reconnect with a culture that they were forcibly removed from.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
It IS stupid. You are a negro. Or black, if you prefer. Or whatever. But African American is stupid for the reasons that you said.
Negro....really? What year are we living in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy