Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 11:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrlvr View Post
I am not even talking about the health results....which is another discussion, but
things I guess are not what you always think they are...

I always thought my father was almost 100% (if not all) German descent...a little Eastern European did
show up....and mother about 100% Italian....but only a small amount of my dna was confidently attributed to being "Italic".....conservative, standard, even speculative views have me mostly as a non-specified
"Euromutt" ... I am basically all European (with perhaps 3% unspecified) ...nothing exotic--no African, Asian, etc... but no strong ethnic identity....now there are worse things LOL but I thought I would
have a more specific result....anyone else with similar results?
So you're 97 percent European - well, you're 3 percent "more ethnic" than I am because I am 100 percent northern European and 68 percent of THAT is specifically British/Irish!

(And I sent off the genome info to another source - Dr McDonald? - and he verified this - he was like, "You're British and Irish, with a little German and French thrown in for good measure. Northern European. Period. Nothing else. Nada."

Imagine my surprise - all these years I've heard of Indian princesses, gypsies, etc to explain my very dark eyes and coarse, wavy dark hair...LOL

I am not in the least bit "disappointed" though. I think it's AWESOME that I know now where my ancestors really did come from. Why would I be disappointed? It's amazing to be able to pinpoint this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
one of the biggest problem with dna is, it can't test past history, but it compares your dna with everybody today with the same dna at today location. so let say your family from place "A" and everybody moves to place "B" hundred years ago. there is nobody with your dna left in place "A" So when everybody get tested "B" is going show up. what everybody complaining about germany, polish, italy, british, is really a only couple hundred miles apart. they are comparing to where they live today, not thousand years ago.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
one of the biggest problem with dna is, it can't test past history, but it compares your dna with everybody today with the same dna at today location. so let say your family from place "A" and everybody moves to place "B" hundred years ago. there is nobody with your dna left in place "A" So when everybody get tested "B" is going show up. what everybody complaining about germany, polish, italy, british, is really a only couple hundred miles apart. they are comparing to where they live today, not thousand years ago.
But I was interested to see where my haplogroup came from. The Caucasus. Around Turkey. And my haplogroup is similar to that of Dr. Oz. LOL. That's one thing DNA did that was new and interesting.

Also, being northern European was somewhat confirming of what I already thought. And it ruled everything else out, which was a surprise but at least I know.

When I look at the map in 23andMe I see matches all over Europe, the UK and the US and Canada. It tells me something but, no, it is not specific in my case.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:25 PM

10 posts, read 7,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Hmmm I debating whether to do this test.

I can trace my family back 4 or 5 generations to the Netherlands, mainly Freisia(?) or Freisland, whatever. That was through some documents I found online.

So you were hoping to find a stronger ethnic identity?

My great-grandfather gave me the common spiel about someone inour family being Cherokee. Would something like that even show up?

Based on when my family supposedly moved here (both side from Holland) I don't see how that was possible. It would be recent enough to be common family knowledge.

They don't do the health part any more, do they?

Interesting thread.
Yes for twice the price you can still get the health part. Cherokee would show up, but not specifically Cherokee, just Native American.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:27 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedq01 View Post
Yes for twice the price you can still get the health part. Cherokee would show up, but not specifically Cherokee, just Native American.
This topic is from 2014, when the health part of 23andMe wasn't available.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Other than my daughter, I have one 2nd cousin, once removed, as my closest DNA relative and I actually know his mom but didn't recognize the name. After that I have a third cousin whose surname is a variation of mine...but we have no idea how we are connected. It falls apart pretty fast if people have not made an effort to do a family tree.

Europe was a war zone for much of the last 500 years with armies and populations moving around the continent. Religious wars, Napoleon, Swedish wars, two world wars, lots of moving borders and the unification of Germany and Italy will have an impact on DNA results. Trade routes and the Hanseatic League probably mixed up northern Europe. Unless your European ancestors lived in an out of the way spot your DNA results will reflect the turmoil of history.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:05 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
I am not even talking about the health results....which is another discussion, but

I always thought my father was almost 100% (if not all) German descent...a little Eastern European did
show up....and mother about 100% Italian....but only a small amount of my dna was confidently attributed to being "Italic".....conservative, standard, even speculative views have me mostly as a non-specified
"Euromutt" ... I am basically all European (with perhaps 3% unspecified) ...nothing exotic--no African, Asian, etc... but no strong ethnic identity....now there are worse things LOL but I thought I would
Family lor was that my paternal Gt. Gt. Grandfather was Jewish but no sign of it in my DNA his paper trail came to an end with no results of where he was born strange and disappointing.
[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 PM

834 posts, read 744,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Family lor was that my paternal Gt. Gt. Grandfather was Jewish but no sign of it in my DNA his paper trail came to an end with no results of where he was born strange and disappointing.
[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]
He could've been a convert to Judaism?

Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 AM

10 posts, read 7,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I was disappointed too, but for a different reason. My mother was adopted and her adoption records burned in an orphanage fire over 50 years ago. Her adoptive parents are also long dead...as is she. I can trace my father's family back somewhat-- I'm pretty sure on my grandfather's side they were Scotch-Irish from the last wave to emigrate here. I do know from the census records of 1900-20 that they were pretty much white trash, which isn't surprising. My grandmother's side only shows an English-born father.

I was hoping for something interesting from the report. No luck. I'm in the most predominant genotype or whatever it was called...it's been a year since I got the report. Never ran into anyone there who was closer than a third cousin and (s)he didn't want any contact.
Upload your results to gedmatch, I've found some info on my great grandmothers bio family and helped some distant cousins from contact on there. I have also had luck with 23 and me, but not everyone on there signs in regularly.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:44 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:

What is wrong with being European? Exotic women, foods, fashion, history, wines? Nothing Exotic about Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy