Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 12:17 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrlvr View Post
Suzy,
I understand what you are saying--but most of my results didn't narrow to geographic area, but were
just general or undefined European which is a huge land area! I am not blaming 23andme, by the way..
I guess I blame my genome!
Could they not even tell you northern, southern, western or eastern European? I mean, you probably already knew that you were European so I'd want my money back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:21 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I'm not a huge fan of 23andMe, especially after they "revamped" their service and offerings -- but they do have this interesting display in the ancestry report section...you have to scroll down to the end.

This tells you how recently you have someone in your ancestry who was 100% of one genetic area. I added the notations: My maternal grandmother was 100% Irish though born in the USA. My paternal line was German but came mostly from Pomerania, now part of Poland so that makes sense for Eastern Europe. Sometime before 1770 I had someone who was 100% Ashkenazi and another who was 100% Scandinavian. I recently found an colonist ancestor in New Netherlands/Hudson Valley who was born in Norway. This helps make sense of some of the results and shows how far back you have to look for some of those DNA threads.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:48 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm not a huge fan of 23andMe, especially after they "revamped" their service and offerings -- but they do have this interesting display in the ancestry report section...you have to scroll down to the end.

This tells you how recently you have someone in your ancestry who was 100% of one genetic area. I added the notations: My maternal grandmother was 100% Irish though born in the USA. My paternal line was German but came mostly from Pomerania, now part of Poland so that makes sense for Eastern Europe. Sometime before 1770 I had someone who was 100% Ashkenazi and another who was 100% Scandinavian. I recently found an colonist ancestor in New Netherlands/Hudson Valley who was born in Norway. This helps make sense of some of the results and shows how far back you have to look for some of those DNA threads.
Now that looks interesting is that a chart you get with your results with 23andMe ?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:19 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Now that looks interesting is that a chart you get with your results with 23andMe ?
Yes...at the bottom of the ancestry report that they put out.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:29 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Interesting thread!

I went to the 23andMe website and watch the "how it work" video and how to do it.

But it did not say how long it take to get results after you mail in the sample.

Can anyone say how long it take to get the results?

Old 02-05-2017, 06:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Interesting thread!

I went to the 23andMe website and watch the "how it work" video and how to do it.

But it did not say how long it take to get results after you mail in the sample.

Can anyone say how long it take to get the results?
It took us about two weeks.

It's a fun site. I don't regret spending the money.

I found out I am the whitest person I've ever known. English, Irish, German/French, Finnish, and Scandinavian. And I have dark, thick, coarse hair and very dark brown eyes with a pug nose and full lips (but very light skin). My husband looks totally Nordic with blonde hair and blue eyes and chiseled features and he's got all SORTS of different stuff in him, including Jewish, Sardinian, Native American, and north, west, central and southern African! Sheeze. His color chart is all different colors and mine is all blue and dark blue. I mean ALL blue. Not one sliver of anything else.

I always wondered why he could tan so much easier than me.

Just goes to show that looks can be very deceiving.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:13 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I found out I am the whitest person I've ever known. English, Irish, German/French, Finnish, and Scandinavian. And I have dark, thick, coarse hair and very dark brown eyes with a pug nose and full lips (but very light skin). My husband looks totally Nordic with blonde hair and blue eyes and chiseled features and he's got all SORTS of different stuff in him, including Jewish, Sardinian, Native American, and north, west, central and southern African! Sheeze. His color chart is all different colors and mine is all blue and dark blue. I mean ALL blue. Not one sliver of anything else.

I'm right there with you. My sister had hers done. British, northwest Europe, Scandinavia. The "darkest" is 3% Iberian peninsula and 1% Asia Minor. But if you saw my brother's baby picture, you'd think it was a black kid.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:25 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Thanks Kathryn,

2 weeks is good turnaround and I'll do it soon!

Yeah, your mate is a Heinz-57. Sardinia sounds exotic.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So you had unrealistic preconceived notions of what you thought you were, and science didn't confirm it.
Then it would behoove people to study tribal patterns of migration.
There's a reason why a number of places in Europe all have the same name (Galicia). It's because one tribal group, namely the Celts, migrated in a counter-clockwise pattern around Europe going from Southern Spain to Turkey to Poland to Northern France and then back to Southern Spain, and repeating that migration pattern over and over for centuries. Actually for several thousand years. They stopped around 900 CE or so due to the migration of Slavs. You might want to study genetics in greater detail.
You're right. I can trace my paternal ancestry back to the late 1600's they were all peasant's/farmers in an isolated area of the Pyrenees. If you study migration patterns through that area, my DNA is very consistent. I also have blood antigens that are almost always specific to the Basque people. My mother's family was Scandinavian and my DNA is consistent with the migration of those people. But I couldn't figure out why I am 4% Irish, so I spent some more time studying and found that it was common for the Vikings to return to their homeland with large numbers of Irish slaves, many of whom were granted freedom and became part of the community and freely married native Scandinavians. I will never be 100% sure that is how I ended up with Irish blood but it appears to be the most likely explanation.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Thanks Kathryn,

2 weeks is good turnaround and I'll do it soon!

Yeah, your mate is a Heinz-57. Sardinia sounds exotic.
Hitler would have chosen him for the Lebensborn program though, with his straight nose, blonde hair and blue eyes. It's crazy!

I found out Sardinia is off the coast of Italy.

His family has lots of Louisiana history. My family is also from Louisiana but just two generations or so back - his go back probably six generations in Louisiana. I have a feeling that has something to do with that extreme mixture.

I say "extreme" - he's still predominately Northern European. From what we know of his ancestry, he has a lot of Irish in him. Our last name is Irish so that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy