Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 10:45 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,952,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
These tests are cool for personal gratification, but they are socially insignificant at the present time.
My doctor definitely took my genetic test seriously enough to include a copy in my file, especially because the test decoded my entire genome and can be downloaded in raw data. That information is 100% accurate, but perhaps for some it may be inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk
According to my family history, I have a Commanche great-great-grandmother, which should be enough to make me a member of the Commanche nation. I even have her picture with my great-great-grandfather. However, that marriage was not recorded in the official Commanche nation records, and it's utterly irrelevant to them what a DNA test reveals--they will only accept their own records. The Commanche nation doesn't care about the results of a DNA test, so there's no more point to me getting too excited about it now than it was 63 years ago when I was born with only my great-great-grandmother's picture in my family's possession.

In the same, way, a DNA test would reveal that my son is less than 50% African but at least 50% Polynesian. Makes absolutely zero social different, because he has been and will be treated by US society as African American. That's something he came to accept while he was still a teenager. Claiming to be "***-Talian" (a black American reference you may not be old enough to catch) is useless at the present time.

In the US at the present time, what you "are" is socially dictated by what the dominant white American judges you to be by your appearance. How they treat you when you interview for a job, when you apply for an apartment, when the cop pulls you over, when the school principal brings you in for misconduct, when the car salesman considers your offer...all that is based on what you look like to them at that particular moment. They don't care about "no steenkin' DNA test." They don't care if you call yourself a "***-Talian."

If any part of their decision is based on racial prejudice, they will make make it based on what you look like to them, not on DNA test results you wave in their faces. I expect in twenty or thirty years that will change--after we Boomers are safely dead or we all have Altzheimers. But not at this moment while we Boomers are still in control of industry and government. I had thought we Boomers were the transitional generation from the racist apartheid we were born into into a post-racial generation, but the last six years have shown me that we Boomers are still the product of our apartheid childhood.
Just as I suspected from the start, your attempt to downplay the genetic tests is tied to identity politics and a desire to not see the traditional "race"-based identities in the United States affected, especially when it comes to the debunked one-drop-rule and the self-deception to which conspicuously mixed people have been forced to accept.

The reality is that genetic testing is bringing to the limelight the identity fraud and self-deception that millions of Americans have been subjected to for generations. These tests simply add more evidence in favor of this (see video) and some people who would like for the national self-deception to continue don't like it, hence the negation of what is essentially undeniable, especially once a person's genome has been decoded.

Everyone has a right to feel whichever way they want about any topic and if a mixed race person wants to continue with the traditional self-deception, it is their right to do so even when the cold hard truth is brought to the limelight in a way that is simply hard to ignore. However, any mixed race person that wants to be true to themselves, that want to simply accept themselves for what they really are and not what they, their friends, or some traditional people/society greatly wish they should had been is the complete right of said mixed race person and no one can deny them that or hide them from themselves or continue to deceive them about their genetic reality.

Society changes when people force it to change, as is clearly evident in the USA's history. Change must be based on the truth, on an objective identity built upon reality and not wishful thinking or make believe.

"Life is the art of being well deceived; and in order that the deception may succeed it must be habitual and uninterrupted." -William Hazzlitt

"All deception in the course of life is indeed nothing else but a lie reduced to practice, and falsehood passing from words into things." -Robert Southey

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth." -Buddha

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." -Winston Churchill

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." -Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-02-2014 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
My doctor definitely took my genetic test seriously enough to include a copy in my file, especially because the test decoded my entire genome and can be downloaded in raw data. That information is 100% accurate, but perhaps for some it may be inconvenient.

Just as I suspected from the start, your attempt to downplay the genetic tests is tied to identity politics and a desire to not see the traditional "race"-based identities in the United States affected, especially when it comes to the debunked one-drop-rule and the self-deception to which conspicuously mixed people have been forced to accept.

The reality is that genetic testing is bringing to the limelight the identity fraud and self-deception that millions of Americans have been subjected to for generations. These tests simply add more evidence in favor of this (see video) and some people who would like for the national self-deception to continue don't like it, hence the negation of what is essentially undeniable, especially once a person's genome has been decoded.

Yes, the science behind the test shatters the old US identity politics. Not only that, this new scientific knowledge comes at a point when American itself has become increasingly diverse. Many people from other parts of the world did not have an one drop world and it's more common for people to acknowledge coming from a mixed racial background.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Please stay on topic. African American 23andMe Results. If not, then this thread will be closed.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
My doctor definitely took my genetic test seriously enough to include a copy in my file, especially because the test decoded my entire genome and can be downloaded in raw data.
Vanessa Williams has talked about the medical applications of what she learned about her family history. Her brother had a rather blood disorder common among Italians. When the doctors asked the mother if they were part Italian, the mothered answered no. A dna profile of Vanessa Williams confirmed that they are part Italian.

One's ethnic background is the totality of who you are and can be important in many ways.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:46 PM

11 posts, read 41,819 times
I met to upload these pictures awhile ago so you could see how my results match up with my physical appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
African American 23andme Results-500x500.jpg   African American 23andme Results-44bf4beb5aef49b0a1a75f0e79fcfa8d_l.jpg  

Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethurya View Post
I met to upload these pictures awhile ago so you could see how my results match up with my physical appearance.
Cool. Have any of your other relatives taken the test?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 AM

11 posts, read 41,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Cool. Have any of your other relatives taken the test?

Yes, my mom took the test recently. Still waiting for her results to come in.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM

322 posts, read 707,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethurya View Post
Nice looking guy. You look, you would blend in well with Dominicans.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 PM

322 posts, read 707,418 times
Quote:

Nothing is 100% accurate, especially with regard to health predicitons. Companies like 23andMe the health is reported based on Europeans.
The correction on you said: "because the test decoded my entire genome." You are misinformed. Currently, no company (DTC) does a full genome sequencing. Maybe in the future. The report you received is a tiny fraction of your DNA, non-coding regions (selected few locus), which means these areas do not make protein.

Last edited by AppalachianGumbo; 04-24-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 02:06 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianGumbo View Post
Nothing is 100% accurate, especially with regard to health predicitons. Companies like 23andMe the health is reported based on Europeans.
The correction on you said: "because the test decoded my entire genome." You are misinformed. Currently, no company (DTC) does a full genome sequencing. Maybe in the future. The report you received is a tiny fraction of your DNA, non-coding regions (selected few locus), which means these areas do not make protein.
You can get your entire genome, but it's pricey.

Whole Genome Sequencing | Genetics GenerationGenetics Generation

https://www.scienceexchange.com/serv...ole-genome-seq

"We found 19 labs offering this service with prices from $1,500.00 to $6,995.00 per sample."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy