Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 AM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times

Advertisements

My great, great, great Uncle was one of the Australian pioneers, he moved to Adelaide & then later to Victoria...

I myself am from Portsmouth (the original UK one) where most of the Australian & US pioneers set off from, including the very first settlers sent to establish a penal colony...

There are a few memorials to commemorate them in Portsmouth, including these:

This monument has an identical "twin" in Sydney to commemorate the link with Portsmouth, Sydney & Portsmouth are 'Sister Cities' too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Wikipedia identifies James Rogers as the father of Robert Rogers. Robert Rogers was the famous head of Rogers Rangers during the French and Indian War.

Was the James Rogers in your post and the father of Robert Rogers one and the same?
Bingo! James Rogers 1706-1753, father of Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers. I descend from Robert's sister, Mary. They must have been really strong, hardy people and although Robert was famous, Mary is one of my favorite ancestors. She used her strength and knowledge to help others.

Her skills, compassion, and courage served the people well in their times of sickness and privation. She would respond without hesitation to every call for a nurse or a midwife, summer and winter, night or day, often snowshoeing long distances through the trackless forest. She was known to cross raging streams at night to nurse and console families in times of need.

https://vermonthistory.org/research/...&print=1&page=

Old 02-28-2017, 02:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Wow, that's cool too!

Would Swan Creek Village be somewhere around Swanton? I have heard of Swanton, Swan Creek Township, and Swan Creek itself (body of water), but never Swan Creek Village. That's interesting.

Growing up in Wauseon, there were a few houses in the community that were known to have been stops on the Underground Railroad, and I believe they are still standing. One is a big, brick farmhouse on State Route 108 just south of Wauseon.

I have a great-great-grandfather who grew up in Fulton County and was a Lincoln Republican active in Abolitionist causes and several Ohio infantry regiments in the Civil War while his brother, who lived in Sandusky, was a Copperhead Democrat who published a newspaper that supported surrendering and allowing the Confederate states to leave the union and endorsed McClellen in the 1864 Presidential election.

I wonder how often they got together to fight about politics, lol.

Where they lived is currently in Swanton I was told by a helpful librarian who reviewed maps with me.

LOL about the brothers and their political leanings. I hope they didn't hurt each other.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about these 3rd great grandparents. I think they may have been runaway slaves. Prior to moving to Fulton County they lived in Delaware County, Ohio (on 1870 census) but neither of them stated they were from Ohio on any records I've found about them.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:20 PM

926 posts, read 827,250 times
I have no idea.

Though I do know in the late 1800s/Early 1900s my family was in the cities of Cincinnati Ohio, Pittsburg PA and New York, New York. I have no idea how they got their. My guess is they were either runaways or English settlers.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
FlaminGalah - I couldn't rep you But thanks for sharing! I am a Brit, live in Raleigh NC area, and of course am familiar with the history of the Lost Colony of NC. I didn't realize our former Governor was there for the placement of the plaque!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:33 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I had a distant cousin living in Schenectady NY that I corresponded with for several years. We were both descended from the original Dutch government agents and settlers of Fort Orange (Albany NY) and Schenectady. I think it was just a coincidence that she was living there as she was born in Pennsylvania and relocated there as an adult.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 PM

23,454 posts, read 12,487,658 times
My uncle was the one who did the genealogy on my fathers side. He discovered that our many-great grandfather was Edward Colburn (the Colburn name seems to have different spellings - Coburn, Colburne, etc.)

Colburn immigrated from England in 1635. He lived in Ipswich, Massachusetts until somewhere around 1671, when he then crossed the Merrimac and became the first permanent white settler on the Northern side of the Merrimac River.

He built a fort/garrison house which still stands today, tho with keeping it in good repair and being added to over the past 346 years there is probably not much left of the original material that he'd used to build it. I believe his land and buildings were eventually incorporated into the town of Dracut.

Several famous descendants were actors James Coburn and Paul Giamatti, and MLB Commissioner Bartlett Giamatti.

I don't know exactly when it was that the surname I was born with had diverged from the Colburn name, tho it was before the 1800's. My ancestor from the 1800's, who had the same surname I was born with, had been an inventor. The phrases 'it's a beaut' and 'it's a beauty' were coined to describe one of his inventions.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
My uncle was the one who did the genealogy on my fathers side. He discovered that our many-great grandfather was Edward Colburn (the Colburn name seems to have different spellings - Coburn, Colburne, etc.)

Colburn immigrated from England in 1635. He lived in Ipswich, Massachusetts until somewhere around 1671, when he then crossed the Merrimac and became the first permanent white settler on the Northern side of the Merrimac River.
<<<<<snip for brevity>>>>>

Interesting! Do you live around Ipswich? Another town that's big on history with several old cemeteries and a street with more first period houses than any town in the entire country! Oldest working farm in the USA too. (Appleton Farms, 1636.)

Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
My 9th great grandfather was among the first to settle Hartford Conn and another 8th great grandfather was in the first group to settle Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My 9th great grandfather was also in the Hartford group! There's a mountain, and lake also named after him. He owned the land where Harvard is now, and the charter oak was on his land. We had a large family reunion 30 yrs ago, where tons of info was put together for everyone, was pretty cool. Another relative was hung in Salem Witch Trials, guess we have a witch!
Hey, Scotty and Wamer, who were your Hartford settlers? I have two, Selden and Spencer.

I also have early settlers in Lyme (Marvin), New Haven (Clark), Saybrook (Chapman), and Haddam (Brainerd, Spencer, Stannard, and Ventres).

Old 03-01-2017, 04:30 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Hey, Scotty and Wamer, who were your Hartford settlers? I have two, Selden and Spencer.

I also have early settlers in Lyme (Marvin), New Haven (Clark), Saybrook (Chapman), and Haddam (Brainerd, Spencer, Stannard, and Ventres).

Thomas Scott
James Olmstead
Dr.John Olmstead
Capt. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead also was one of the first to settle Norwalk.

Last edited by Scotty011; 03-01-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy