Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 01:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
We went to Target for less than 10 mins and came back and the car was so hot. I almost burned my behind in the leather seats. It was 117 degrees inside the car and 102 outside. That scarred me for life lol.
Speaking as someone who drives a convertible with black leather seats..those get hot anywhere! I do not go anyplace in the summer without at least one beach towel to sit on, or you will burn your butt! (top down or not)

Old 11-04-2013, 02:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
I moved from the SF Bay Area (which I'm not a native of) to Orange County, seven hours south.

Orange County might be the most worthless part of California. At least the Central and Imperial Valleys are major agricultural centers, rural northern California has some of the most redeeming scenery on Earth, and L.A. is a world class cultural center.

OC really is "fake"...and a pretentious and cold culture, the industry here is real estate, and I have honestly found as much or more "culture" in cities with 1/10 the population.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Lots of folks get the itch to move for any number of reasons.

I learned the hard way that, when moving or staying is about 50/50, a person really needs to be careful and consider things conservatively. Staying put and not romancing yourself into a move may be the best decision.

In my case, I had moved from Idaho to Montana 11 years earlier. At the time, I really needed a stable job, and found one that worked out very well. I really enjoyed living there as well, but there was a lot of unsettled things I had left behind that needed my attention, and a family partnership I was in underwent a big change.

I regretfully moved back home after a year, but I never left working for the company. For the next 10 years I occasionally did contract work for them that worked out very well.

After a number of years passed with no new contracts, another popped up. I was in my mid-50's by then, and was beginning to think about retirement. I thought that going back and working for another 5 to 7 years would really help out when I decided to retire.

My very level-headed girlfriend laid out a pro and con list, and I thought it over, but I was too swayed by the way it had been a decade earlier to really think seriously about any other alternative. I was re-hired long distance, so I prepared to sell my home and moved. I stayed with an old friend for a month while looking for a new home and selling the one I left behind. My old home sold fast.

I ended up buying a house that really didn't fit my needs mostly because I needed to get re-located, and it didn't take long to realize I had made a big mistake.
The town was no longer the place I had enjoyed so much a decade earlier. It had grown at least 30% and had lost much of it's charm. Many of my old friends, mostly fellow employees, had moved on, and I found trying to make new friends much harder than it had been in the past.

The job was no longer what it once was, either. When I first worked there, the shop was brand new and every day was a challenging adventure. Everyone in it was establishing new methods of production, busy getting up to speed, and learning what worked and what did not. It was a small tight crew.

When I returned, all that had changed. The shop was a different place. All the old camaraderie had been replaced by drudgery and there were a lot of folks with bad attitudes. Since I had made sporadic brief visits to the shop over the years, I became sort of a legend- the guy who left but kept getting the best stuff. Half of those who had known me made a big deal out of my return, and the other half, including my immediate supervisor, looked at me with suspicion. My supervisor was sure I came in to replace him, although that wasn't the truth, and the others wondered why I was so special.

I just wanted to do the job for a few years and hang it up. But it was a difficult place to work in, and I regretted taking the job within a few months. I never grew to like the changed town as much as I did, either.

Even so, I would have toughed it out, but I never considered my age at all when I moved. The work was always physically demanding. I developed a repetitive injury when I first worked there that healed after I left, and the second time, I developed a more serious repetitive injury. I tried to get transferred to another area in the shop several times, but the work I did was pretty specialized, and could never find a replacement for me. So the injury grew worse and worse.

Finally, I had enough and went looking for another job back home. I found one, left the shop, and moved back in the middle of a bad winter. I couldn't find a new house right away, so I lived with a relative for 6 weeks before I finally found a great house.
And then got laid off a week later. I had a good cushion, but ended up making payments on the house I left behind for the next 9 months. Paying for 2 houses left me broke by the end of the year, but eventually the house sold. I scrambled for the next 18 months, but things worked out.

I'll never move again. My home town has always suited me fine, and I should have just stayed put. I romanced myself into a big mess. Ironically, I'm still working for the company again, just as I did before.

So- sometimes the grass is equally green on both sides of the fence. Be smarter than I was.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:58 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I moved to Ohio two yrs ago and this april praise God Im getting out to this frozen tundra and moving to south carolina !!! somewhere I can actually go outside in december LOL .. I have lived in florida too and it was too humid for me there and I dont like 8 months of summer either I like a place that has three seasons summer spring and fall and skips the snow drifts and chill factors thanks . God has provided the money and Im so grateful to be getting out of here .. Just everyone please pray for me and that the trip is a good one , we are taking our time going down it is going to be about an 11 hour drive it would normally be about 9-10 hours but we figure with the doggies it will add some extra time for a rest stop and bathroom breaks . You all who have ever traveled with dogs know the drill and this is like the third time I have done this . this will hopefully be the last state to state trip I make . It will be perfect 2 hrs from the coast and 2 hrs from the mountains .perfect .
best of luck, sounds like you are in the midlands of south Carolina.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 AM

12 posts, read 23,254 times
I agree with BanjoMike about the grass may be green right under your own feet.
I also feel the longer you remain in an area that you do not care for, the harder it becomes to go back. Kind of a catch 22. You should stay long enough to say you gave it enough of a chance, but not stay too long that your vision of "back home" turns into an altered sense of reality.
This being said, it would be fair to stay in the new location for 1 1/2 -to-3 years. I feel if you are "stuck" and at your 5th year there it becomes more difficult to #1 leave. and #2 upon returning back home you may be disappointed.

Also I have discovered that now we use our vacation time for return trips back home (funerals 2ce in 1 year, holidays, wedding-in Feb.) ....something to consider before moving away from family. We live in Raleigh NC. Even though the mts. are 4 hours away...you still need a to use vacation time. Same for the beach (which is 2 1/2 hour drive) unless you go for a weekend. The point is I'd like to take the family to Grand Canyon, Maine, Yellowstone, and ect.

Last edited by that'slife; 11-05-2013 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Speaking as someone who drives a convertible with black leather seats..those get hot anywhere! I do not go anyplace in the summer without at least one beach towel to sit on, or you will burn your butt! (top down or not)
Sheep skin seat covers:>)

Old 11-05-2013, 08:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Sheep skin seat covers:>)
In hot weather? I can't imagine sitting on those!

I prefer a beach towel, it draws moisture away from your body (sweat) and can be easily thrown in the wash. It also does not change the look of the interior of your car like a true seat cover would.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:53 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that'slife View Post
Also I have discovered that now we use our vacation time for return trips back home (funerals 2ce in 1 year, holidays, wedding-in Feb.) ....something to consider before moving away from family. We live in Raleigh NC. Even though the mts. are 4 hours away...you still need a to use vacation time. Same for the beach (which is 2 1/2 hour drive) unless you go for a weekend. The point is I'd like to take the family to Grand Canyon, Maine, Yellowstone, and ect.
That is also one of the disadvantages for us too. None of our family lives here (2000 and 6000 miles away) and to visit them eats up all the vacation days. Not like we didn't know that coming out, but still, I get it.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Quote:
Has anybody else ever made a move that was unwise and regretted it? What did you end up doing about it?
...well, just take a look at my handle!

What did I do about it? Not much!

I did ask the guy I was seeing (and who I discovered I was in love with) to stay with me during a visit, the very year I moved here. So having a partner for most the time living here made it bearable...nesting/coocooning...or, like Kurt Vonnegut called it in "Mother Night" "Eine Reich fur Zwie" (a kingdom of two).

Also, Dayton is very close to a much more interesting and larger city: Cincinnatti...so we went there a lot....a short 45 minute drive by freeway (downtown Cincy), but also some scenic old-road drives down into the Queen City.

We also did a lot of other road trips. Both to other cities and country road riding (Ohio, despite the dreary cultural conservatism, has a quaint small-town culture going on and the scenery in my part of Ohio is actually sort of nice...rolling country with river and creek valleys).

Since we were gay gay life was sort of interest, but it was pretty awful and sad and beaten-down here, so we instead got into non-gay life, especially the local live music scene, which was, suprisinlgy, pretty durn good!

For gay stuff our big outlet was COLUMBUS, which is sort of a gay mecca for "buckeyes"...esp their Pride Weekend, which was held with this sort of alternative/indy cultural festival called Commfest. Sort of the antidote to Daytons squareness.

So it was making lemons out of lemonade...finding the good in the place and glomming on to it.

My partner passed 4 years ago last month, so I am really experiencing the utter despair of being an older (widowed) single gay male in Dayton.

But again, making lemons out of lemonade, I do things like cycling and hiking/walking...things this area has that are actually pretty good (and more like very good when it comes to cycling)..solitary things befiting my place in life now...

I also travel to Louisville a lot, which is the anti-Dayton when it comes to urban revival and social liberalism and cultural creativity and tolerance...a true urbanists city...a very happening place. And I have family there, which is why I moved to Dayton in the first place.

@@@@

For the OP, or re the OP...i had the misfortune of spending a week and a half in OKC on buisiness and if there is a place sadder than Dayton, a place that would be an urban "siberia" for me, it would be OKC.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I moved from the SF Bay Area (which I'm not a native of) to Orange County, seven hours south.

Orange County might be the most worthless part of California. At least the Central and Imperial Valleys are major agricultural centers, rural northern California has some of the most redeeming scenery on Earth, and L.A. is a world class cultural center.

OC really is "fake"...and a pretentious and cold culture, the industry here is real estate, and I have honestly found as much or more "culture" in cities with 1/10 the population.
When I lived in Phoenix, I heard a lot of transplants had come from Orange and San Diego counties. I don't know, but Phoenix was as phony as it got for me personally. The other descriptions fit, too. Wasn't a good long-term fit for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues