Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,090,580 times

Advertisements

Add me to the list. And we've moved tons already--back and forth across the country. Have lived in New England for 11 years now and it's pretty much the only place my kids remember. The oldest was 6 when we moved here and the youngest wasn't even penciled in on the planner yet!

We'd love to move back to the PNW--Seattle or Portland, but in our industries, salaries have not kept pace with cost of living increases. So we've been looking at NC. Last year we thought we were going to make it happen and it just didn't come all together. So now my oldest is halfway through his junior year of HS. I'm not letting that stop our information gathering, fact finding and job searching. If it comes to pass that we have the means and the opportunity to move, then we'll try to see if we can have him stay behind to finish out his senior year. He does NOT want to attend college in this area and he's said that while he'll go along if we move because he understands what we need to do, he'd really rather finish HS here.

Meanwhile the next child is in 8th grade. He's neither here nor there on moving but as a rising 9th grader, it's a good time to make that move. My youngest is in 2nd grade and most desperately wants NOT to move. But I think she'll be fine.

We sold our house last Feb (something we really had to do anyway) and are in a rental (which we hate) where the lease is up in June. I do not want to renew this lease but if we're not going to move out of this town, then we have to either renew the lease or find another place to rent. Ewwww.

Thanks for posting this thread. It's been a great place to vent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM

206 posts, read 529,183 times
Default Very Familiar Situation

We have been planning a move to Texas for a year now. We finally set our sights on a good place to settle, but right now i have the jitters as far as employment for myself and financial stability. We have six kids and my husband is the only one employed. I have been having a tough time here trying to get back into the workforce after numerous years as a stay at home mom. So i guess i'm just fearful of that and not to mention the horrible leap to move here to Georgia and it has almost killed us, but i remain hopeful and everything has worked itself out so far we won't be long now. I agree planning with no action really drains you.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 PM

514 posts, read 1,670,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipooh View Post
Geesh, I am feeling like I should have moved years ago.........all this research and planning, seems like all I do nowadays......Find myself wasting away my days researching and planning!
Always thinking of ways to do it, and just don't. My friends have been hearing it for years now and I am sure they are tired of it, as I am. How much can 1 plan anyhow, before they just get up and do it. I have done this before, but I was 15yrs younger and not as bright.....lol. Somehow I have also lost my nerve to do things like I used too.
I know I want to move, and need to move it is just finding the right scenario to do it, and I am thinking I won't find that anytime soon........UGH!
Anyone else finding themselves in my spot?
I know how you feel. The wife and I have been wanting to move for 3 years. No more NJ, we cant afford it here yada,yada,yada.

We made quite a few trips to Pa and even bought property out there as we were planning to build a house. A trip to Fla and 2 trips to Tx this year. Not to mention countless hours on the internet doing research.

And where do we wind up buying a townhouse, 20 miles away from where we were living all in Hillsborough.

Theres nothing wrong with doing your homework, but too much can really burn you out. Good Luck

Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM

279 posts, read 782,845 times
im the same way. i just want to move out of here. but i know im stuck for a few more years at least...

Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 AM

413 posts, read 1,846,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millipooh View Post
Geesh, I am feeling like I should have moved years ago.........all this research and planning, seems like all I do nowadays......Find myself wasting away my days researching and planning!
Always thinking of ways to do it, and just don't. My friends have been hearing it for years now and I am sure they are tired of it, as I am. How much can 1 plan anyhow, before they just get up and do it. I have done this before, but I was 15yrs younger and not as bright.....lol. Somehow I have also lost my nerve to do things like I used too.
I know I want to move, and need to move it is just finding the right scenario to do it, and I am thinking I won't find that anytime soon........UGH!
Anyone else finding themselves in my spot?
Your not alone. I am 31 and have known since I was 25 that I wanted to live in Los Angeles, actually since I was a kid, but was told I could NOT DO THAT. Now after 3 years of planning and visiting and making a few connections (and 6 months of harcore saving-and a marriage) my wife and I are doing it! Only 36 days left. Trust me...the closer it gets to your move date the more antsy ya get. It takes all we have to not just jump in the car and go! We have the money and everything is in motion...now...we wait. March 1st could not get here sooner. My advice: Do it now!!!!! If you have pondered for 15 years you will most likely ponder for another 15...and another 15 til' your retired and sitting there saying, "What if".
Today is the day. Make your decision and stick with it. Dont let the bad thoughts overtake the good. Good Luck!!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
Im getting there. Right now Im stuck in the LV of PA. Maybe in 6 months.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:38 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,362 times
Quote:
It takes all we have to not just jump in the car and go!
GAHHH!! I know what you mean. I've pretty much narrowed it down between 2 places, and if it werent for the lease I have now, I think I'd have been out of here by now. But almost everyday on my way home, I think 'I could just keep going, I have my gps, thats all I really need.' lol. But yeah, just have to be patient and wait.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:29 PM

19 posts, read 147,194 times
I've been totally consumed with this for the past year at least... I 'm really just tired of trying to figure out where to go. I've researched so many places & as soon as I have a place that seems to have what we need, I find out something to dissuade me from it, or someone talks me out of it. I lived in another state about 20 years ago, & when I moved out there all I took was some clothes....no qualms, no worries. I learned a lot from that move & met some of the nicest, genuinely caring people I've ever known. This move is a lot more serious & I'd love to have my mind made up & just go.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,268 times
We wanted to move for over an year now, my husband is so sick of the rain, he works outside, I would love to live here......but I must think of my husband too, we wanted to move to Hawaii last year, But the cost to move was to high, now my sis is very sick and my husband was complaing about how it rains once again so I suggested NM so for me it is an oppertunity to go home. and to be with my sis and my family

Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,286,743 times
I know how you feel. My problem is not finding a place to go to but getting on with the process of planning and carrying out my move. I have anxiety about it pretty much daily... knowing I need to move, knowing I should move.... etc. You know this is going to sound way out of the box but maybe you should consult someone. I don't know, someone who could put your mind at ease. I don't know if you have ever heard of flower essences but that might help also. Bach essences can be found at your local Whole Foods for about $15. I'm thinking Walnut essence might help you, although you may need another to help you shift out of indecision first.

Original Bach Flower Essences - www.BachFlower.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues