Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Knoxville is kind of blah. It is perfectly fine, but doesn't really stand out anywhere. Outside of the university, it struggles with an identity IMO. The cost of living is excellent and outdoor recreation is great.

I've only been to Detroit a few times, but the suburbs are absolutely lovely. Keep in mind that crossing 8 Mile Road (dividing line on north side between city/suburbs) is a world of difference. Aside from some very poor areas here in Appalachia, I've never seen anything like some parts of Detroit.

Grand Rapids and the west coast of MI are beautiful. Winters suck with heavy lake effect snow, but the rest of the year, it is nearly a paradise.
I can admit I never pictured myself in or near Detroit.
I will happily look into Michigan in general, sounds like it could be a good fit

Old 04-24-2017, 01:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I can admit I never pictured myself in or near Detroit.
I will happily look into Michigan in general, sounds like it could be a good fit
The west side is especially beautiful, but there is only one significant city (Grand Rapids). The West coast of Michigan has the prettiest beaches you will find, and singing sand too!, but you can only go in the water a few months of the year The UP is also amazingly beautiful, but it takes a different kind of person to be a Youper.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The west side is especially beautiful, but there is only one significant city (Grand Rapids). The West coast of Michigan has the prettiest beaches you will find, and singing sand too!, but you can only go in the water a few months of the year The UP is also amazingly beautiful, but it takes a different kind of person to be a Youper.
My wife and I both enjoy paddle boarding, what months would the water be warm enough to do so?

Old 04-24-2017, 02:16 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1958 View Post
I recommend the Triangle of North Carolina. Should have most of the poster's requirements.
I agree - Cary, Raleigh, even Asheville. Maybe even Colorado Springs.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
Denver would seem to be an area that would work for you.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:24 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,605,780 times
Quote:
My wife and I both enjoy paddle boarding, what months would the water be warm enough to do so?
Mid-May - Mid-September, without a wet suit. Obviously, a wet suit will extend the season a bit. Michigan has a ton of inland lakes, many with public boat ramps (where you can park your car).

Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Mid-May - Mid-September, without a wet suit. Obviously, a wet suit will extend the season a bit. Michigan has a ton of inland lakes, many with public boat ramps (where you can park your car).
Good info to have, thank you

Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Denver would seem to be an area that would work for you.
We have thought about Colorado. However, is Colorado/Denver pretty liberal, like "elite liberals"? Normal amounts of liberal is okay, just not overbearing

Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
We drove through Salt Lake City on the way to California during February and areas around it with mountains & snow were pretty. Isn't there a high population of Mormons in this area? If so, would that create any kind of issue?
My husband travels to SLC a lot for work and it can be a problem if you're not Mormon. They won't be rude to your face, but they won't include you or your future kids in anything.

I second North Carolina! Good weather, people with values, mountains and the ocean! We almost moved there from Illinois, but ended up in Indiana due to family To weigh in on Michigan, I would consider NW Indiana before Michigan. You would still have the Lake and Dunes to go to PLUS only 40 miles away from downtown Chicago with it's nightlife, theaters, museums, concerts, etc. Valporaiso, Crown Point and St. John would be towns in Indiana to consider! Cost of living and taxes overall are low!

You also definitely want to research areas with good schools if you plan on having kids in a few years.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My husband travels to SLC a lot for work and it can be a problem if you're not Mormon. They won't be rude to your face, but they won't include you or your future kids in anything.

I second North Carolina! Good weather, people with values, mountains and the ocean! We almost moved there from Illinois, but ended up in Indiana due to family To weigh in on Michigan, I would consider NW Indiana before Michigan. You would still have the Lake and Dunes to go to PLUS only 40 miles away from downtown Chicago with it's nightlife, theaters, museums, concerts, etc. Valporaiso, Crown Point and St. John would be towns in Indiana to consider! Cost of living and taxes overall are low!

You also definitely want to research areas with good schools if you plan on having kids in a few years.
Thanks for the input. North Carolina was the leading candidate before even creating this thread (besides back home to Louisville).

Which part of Indiana did you end up in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues