Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:38 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Nashville is a big city. So is Charlotte.

Medium sized cities would be Richmond, Louisville, Raleigh, etc.
Hmm, how so? Louisville has a larger city and urban area population than Nashville and Charlotte. metro area wise, Louisville is closer in size to Nasville than Raleigh:

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All of those cities are midsized cities. If Nashville is a "big city," then so is Louisville and Richmond:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 AM

142 posts, read 1,030,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Yes, I will.

Most "progressive" people actually shun people who have spiritual convictions of any kind. Want to do away with the past completely (history goes out the window). They're open only to people who think and act like they do.

They tend to be the most narrow minded of them all.
Well, I wouldn't say "most" but to some extent I agree with you. There are folks in every sect of society willing to write others off for certain beliefs, and in my eyes, they are all wrong to do so. Honesty, if we would all do away with labels such as "liberal" & "conservative" and take up each issue individually, we would find more common ground than many would expect. Personally, I am an atheist, but I respect others religious beliefs, as long as they can manage to respect mine. (or lack there of...)

Old 06-20-2007, 10:21 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
And that is why we are all different, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You say this like it's a BAD thing...I'd probably not enjoy a very liberal and lowly religious community...

Old 06-20-2007, 11:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
I recently lived in Virginia Beach for 16 years. During that time it became increasingly progressive, but to me it was never a hard core a southern city, even when I first started living there in 1990.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Since mid-sized ( medium ) wasn't defined in the initial post, let us respect everyones concept of mid-sized.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
Since mid-sized ( medium ) wasn't defined in the initial post, let us respect everyones concept of mid-sized.
Yeah, perhaps my opinion it is not the "textbook" classification of what a mid-sized city is, but I view most big-ish cities that are smaller than say, Atlanta, or Miami as "mid-sized".

Any chance you can throw some details/opinions of VA Beach at us? I hear it is a nice place that has an unusually large military presence. Other than that, I know little more about it.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Default more on VIrginia BEach

acs.1979

Quote:
original by: acs.1979

Any chance you can throw some details/opinions of VA Beach at us? I hear it is a nice place that has an unusually large military presence. Other than that, I know little more about it.
Read my comment about Virginia Beach on this thread, near or at the bottom of page 4:

Thinking of moving to VA Beach area ( 1 2 3 4)

Even though it has become more progressive, and overall it's a decent place to live, it has some serious drawbacks in my mind.

regards...Franco

Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
acs.1979

Read my comment about Virginia Beach on this thread, near or at the bottom of page 4:

Thinking of moving to VA Beach area ( 1 2 3 4)

Even though it has become more progressive, and overall it's a decent place to live, it has some serious drawbacks in my mind.

regards...Franco
Yeah thanks your posts definitely illustrated the drawbacks well.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Quote:
I recently lived in Virginia Beach for 16 years. During that time it became increasingly progressive, but to me it was never a hard core a southern city, even when I first started living there in 1990.
Va Beach is like NOVA. Its too transient to be a truly southern city. Its a resort area.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:54 PM

114 posts, read 618,401 times
My sister used to live in Virginia Beach when her husband was stationed at the naval base. I don't know if she just never took me to it, but I never saw a downtown at all. The whole place just seemed like wide roads and shopping centers. Everywhere we went, we had to drive 20 or 30 minutes. The weather was nice, and the people seemed pleasant, but it looked like it could be anywhere. Is there a historic area? Am I missing the boat on this city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.