Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Imagine that? I just didn't know that the NY Metro area was experiencing a baby boom. New Yorkers are having MORE than the 2.1 children than the rest of the country.

Just think about it. The population of NY is going to be getting significantly younger then, especially since all the old people of NY are packing up and moving to Florida.
Nice try but no one said there was a baby boom. What I said, as I have explained to you many times, is that if you took away the natural growth rate (which is births minus deaths) then they would be losing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 08:01 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Nice try but no one said there was a baby boom. What I said, as I have explained to you many times, is that if you took away the natural growth rate (which is births minus deaths) then they would be losing population.

Please tell us your experience with upstate and seeing these cheaper houses. We all want to know.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Dbl

Old 08-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
BTW, my daughter went to SUNY Cortland. We have been all over the state for hockey games and tournaments; Syracuse, Troy, Sarnac Lake, Utica, Rochester, SUNY Morristown, Potsdam, etc., etc. I cannot remember all the towns and cities we have gone to. We have friends who live in Hamburg. My daughter's sister-in-law lives in Manliius.

Where have you been to, Mr. Peterson?
Quote:
Please tell us your experience with upstate and seeing these cheaper houses. We all want to know.
What is the relevance? Even if I had never been anywhere in NY, which is just for arguments sake, would it invalidate anything at all that I have said?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:55 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
What is the relevance? Even if I had never been anywhere in NY, which is just for arguments sake, would it invalidate anything at all that I have said?

If you have visited often, or lived in both places, you would be more credible, obviously. It's so obvious you don't know much about what's going on.

The real estate business must be slow down there if you're on here arguing with people upstate about how THEIR real estate is going.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
If you have visited often, or lived in both places, you would be more credible, obviously. It's so obvious you don't know much about what's going on.

The real estate business must be slow down there if you're on here arguing with people upstate about how THEIR real estate is going.
If you had the ability you would refute my posts with facts. Since you are unable to refute my posts with facts you claim that I am not credible because I have not visited often or lived there.

You are wrong on various levels though because I have lived in and have traveled around both states we are discussing.

It is easy to say "It's so obvious you don't know much about what's going on." but you have been unable to prove it. That either shows an incredible amount of ineptitude on your part or that you are just flat wrong.

And really, you need to start try attacking because you can't come up with something better? Don't worry about my business, I am doing fine.

If what you are trying to say is that the OP is a real estate agent and the thread was an attempt for him to drum up business that would be against the TOS. If not then I responded to some inaccuracies in his post which is something that is done on this forum every day by many people.

What is it you are saying?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You could probably get similar homes that are a bit older in the area at close to that price. You can check here: #1 Syracuse NY Real Estate Website | Homes for Sale | Realtor | cnyrealtor.com
I get the feeling from this thread that everybody thinks that the sun raises and sets on Florida and New York.

There are other places to live, you know. Lots of them. And lots cheaper too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I get the feeling from this thread that everybody thinks that the sun raises and sets on Florida and New York.

There are other places to live, you know. Lots of them. And lots cheaper too.

20yrsinBranson
Well I did mention in my first post, "I am sure the same is true in many other states and areas." but I am more aware of pricing in FL so was just comparing my area to his.

Then another poster came in and as usual did her best to try and derail the thread.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think a big, conscious decision one has to ponder when considering Upstate New York is whether or not the cost trade off is worth freezing your ass off for 6-7 months out of the year. I've always said that Upstate NY is one of the most underrated places in the U.S. My family is from there, around Batavia, Alexander, Attica, etc. I've made that drive through the Finger Lakes countless times. However, I've been there mostly in the summer, when, for me, anyways, it's very tolerable. I've also been up there during winter, and it's a semi-permanent gray haze for the 8-9 hours of the day the sun manages to creep above the southern horizon. Some people can handle it, but I don't think I could, not for any extended period of time. I'd rather pay more and have sunshine.
Where I live in Suburban Syracuse = Cicero, winter is not 6 to 7 months. Maybe its a longer winter on TOP of Whiteface Mountain or on TOP of one of the other Mountains in the Adirondack Mtns. but not here.

In the daytime hours during our winter here, I open the blinds and drapes all the way on south & west sides of my home and the house temperature is free heated to 75 degrees (sometimes to 80=I never restrict how high it goes-just let it flow throughout the house) by the sunshine and to a certain extent on overcast days too==the furnace does not assist the daytime heating as long as there is a heating effect by the sunshine. The free heat lasts quite a long time after sundown.

Up northeast of Syracuse near Carthage New York there is a family who actually runs their house on solar power; they must not be getting too much of that "semi-permanent gray haze" that you speak of for 8-9 hours a day. Maybe the towns of Batavia, Alexander, Attica which you mention receive more cloud cover off Lake Ontario & Erie than where I live; I don't know because I've never lived there. I'm sure that the people up in the Carthage area who use solar, they must have excellent insulation, use energy efficient appliances (which we all should do), and utilize passive solar sunshine through their windows as part of a heat source. No, they don't have to clothe themselves in extra warm clothing, just appropriate ordinary wintertime clothing. I admit that they don't wear beach shorts and tank tops during winter=not sure if that's too big a sacrifice for them. A relative of mine is building a home in the high hills above the Mohawk River Valley. He is going to use solar generated electricity & simple passive solar (sunshine through the windows) as PART of those needs; he did not design/intend to build the house to run entirely by solar - just as an adjunct.

If you are happy living where you do, that's great. If someone NEVER wants to experience typical winter weather, then New York State probably isn't for them. I do like the four seasons that New York State has. Winter is not that bad as far as I'm concerned. I know that other areas of NY receive more snowfall (the Mountains & Tug Hill Plateau) than where I live which necessitates more driveway snow removal. I don't fight the snow. Skiing (downhill & cross country), snowmobiling, skating, snowshoeing, making snowmen/forts/igloos/snow angels, having snowball fights, relaxing in front of a blazing fireplace, taking a nice drive in the rural countryside on a sunny day seeing the snow stuck to trees and the sparkling snow covered fields - its beautiful. Each to his own. Very happy/satisfied here in Syracuse Suburbs.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Where I live in Suburban Syracuse = Cicero,........I know that other areas of NY receive more snowfall (the Mountains & Tug Hill Plateau) than where I live which necessitates more driveway snow removal. I don't fight the snow.
Isn't Syracuse #1 for average yearly snowfall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.