Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:19 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Hello city-data board members,

I'm considering attempting to immigrate to the U.S. for a variety of reasons but the main one is in my screenname. I'm a young adult who can't afford to retire, (surprise, lol) and want to find employment in my field. The salary I think will be a decent but not very high level of income. I came across this quote on a thread about a New Yorker considering to relocate to Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22
Remember, you can always put on more clothes to stay warm in NY,... There's only so much clothing you can take off to keep cool, and Phoenix is probably the least pedestrian-friendly city in the country.
I currently live near western NY/ Buffalo which by year-round averages are approx. 10 F colder than NYC. For the way I sense heat and cold the above statement is kinda backwards. I found out the hard way insulation is only 'warm' when your skin is giving off significant heat. While most people can dress for our cold, (and I used to be able to) lately my fingers and toes are quite sensitive to cold.

For example even with the thickest mitts, I can count on my fingers hurting within 20-30 minutes under 10 F. There was even a morning walking my dog at about 25 F with a somewhat strong breeze within 10 minutes my fingertips felt like they were being stabbed with a knife, through some thick mitts labelled "Hot Paws." In this climate I'm cold about 7 months a year and in NYC I'd expect I'd be cold at least 5 months.

At the other end of the spectrum, the only times I've felt too hot were from sitting in a sauna (being burnt, lol) or hot tub too long. I have been in the Carolinas many times in summer and loved it. The hottest weather I have been in is 103 F and 30-something% humidity in Raleigh, which felt toasty warm and 98 F on the coast with a heat index of 110 F and neither of them felt bad. Also there have been times in Myrtle Beach where almost a full week had a heat index of 105 F (highs low to mid 90's F) and I liked that a lot.

Some other areas of interests include areas with low levels of "light pollution" (all of my provinces cities and towns are excessively lit, compared to many large cities in the U.S. I've been), proximity to the ocean, great rollercoasters or waterparks, good pizza *grin*, tall trees, low cost of living and southern culture.

I hope that's not too much detail...

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 08-14-2006 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 11:41 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
What field would you be looking for employment in?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:06 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Sounds like you need to go near Charlotte, on either side of the boarder.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:18 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
I am going to assume you are in the Toronto-Ft. Erie area. I have the exact problem with my fingers and toes getting cold easily! What you need to find out first, can you come here? Visa, or what? Will your job send you here? If you can't tolerate the cold, and don't like humidity, you are restricted to the Southwest(Arizona, Texas, New Mexico). These places can be very hot, but little humidity. Or consider parts of California. But it is VERY expensive.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM

The field I'm in is industrial inspection. Major customers are in oil and gas, power generation (nuclear or other kinds of power plants), chemical plants as well as things like small aircraft parts, weld fabrication shop parts, forklift inspection, bridge inspection etc.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy
I am going to assume you are in the Toronto-Ft. Erie area. I have the exact problem with my fingers and toes getting cold easily! What you need to find out first, can you come here? Visa, or what? Will your job send you here? If you can't tolerate the cold, and don't like humidity, you are restricted to the Southwest(Arizona, Texas, New Mexico). These places can be very hot, but little humidity. Or consider parts of California. But it is VERY expensive.
Yes, I'm just outside Toronto. Have you been?

My doctor says he thinks it's "Reynauds." Have you heard of that?

I found out that if I can get an inspection licence that a U.S. company finds valuable and they are willing to do a little paper work, I could qualify under NAFTA to work on contracts up to one year for a fee of $50, under the classification of "scientific technician." Some people who qualify under NAFTA keep renewing their contract every year until they get a green card.

There's a vague chance my current employer might send me there but it would probably only be for a short term contract. They have a few small branches in the U.S. but they are much bigger here.

I've been there every summer for 10 days from 1993 to 2001. Funny thing about the humidity issue is most of the time I've been in Raleigh the air seems to be slightly drier in % than I'm accustomed to and I've been there in Aug, Sep, Dec, Jan and Feb.

Humidity in summer is not really a problem for me, but damp air blowing at 10mph plus below 50 F is not my idea of fun. (typical weather the cooler half of the year)

Old 08-14-2006, 02:45 PM

I have been to Toronto many times. GREAT city. Bad traffic though. Yes, I have Reynauds too, which is why I am looking south.My doctor said it can be made worse by smoking, so I don't. Winter always gives me trouble. It started for me when I was about 30.

Anyway, hope you can find someplace you like down here.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy
I have been to Toronto many times. GREAT city. Bad traffic though. Yes, I have Reynauds too, which is why I am looking south.My doctor said it can be made worse by smoking, so I don't. Winter always gives me trouble. It started for me when I was about 30.

Anyway, hope you can find someplace you like down here.
What did you like about Toronto? I like all the different restaurants.

Where do you live around if you don't mind me asking? Are you planing to move south? Fortunately, I have never picked up smoking. I picked up Reynauds in the first year of highschool (around the same time some other friends were starting smoking. )

Old 08-14-2006, 03:07 PM

Cold Canadian, check your personal messages.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:21 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Default I hope you do it ColdCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Yes, I'm just outside Toronto. Have you been?

My doctor says he thinks it's "Reynauds." Have you heard of that?

I found out that if I can get an inspection licence that a U.S. company finds valuable and they are willing to do a little paper work, I could qualify under NAFTA to work on contracts up to one year for a fee of $50, under the classification of "scientific technician." Some people who qualify under NAFTA keep renewing their contract every year until they get a green card.

There's a vague chance my current employer might send me there but it would probably only be for a short term contract. They have a few small branches in the U.S. but they are much bigger here.

I've been there every summer for 10 days from 1993 to 2001. Funny thing about the humidity issue is most of the time I've been in Raleigh the air seems to be slightly drier in % than I'm accustomed to and I've been there in Aug, Sep, Dec, Jan and Feb.

Humidity in summer is not really a problem for me, but damp air blowing at 10mph plus below 50 F is not my idea of fun. (typical weather the cooler half of the year)
You seem to be exactly the type of person we should give Green Cards to. Thank God talented Canadians leave Canada and come to the USA!!! I wish you luck, not only in your professional ambitions, but also finding the right area for you that makes you happy. Drop the "eh" and start using "Y'all" and you should fit right in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.