Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:10 AM

18 posts, read 149,932 times

Advertisements

I've lived in ATL my entire life -- I'm single, 38, never been married -- and I want to move to someplace that has a slower pace of life (is less hectic and has less traffic), but not so slow that it's dull and boring. It still needs to have moderately decent nightlife and restaurants/arts/culture, and at least a portion/percentage of the population who are non-conservative/open-minded/progressive artist-intellectuals, although I'm able to get along with just about anybody and truly enjoy connecting with different people from all walks of life. I'm a writer/editor(magazine/newspaper/ad agency) and former costume jewelry designer, savor solitude as well as socializing, and like nature, hiking, bluegrass and folk music. Is Charlotte the best choice if I relocate to NC? Or would Asheville be more my speed? I'm also considering Chattanooga, TN and investigating SC and even Florida. Any suggestions/input would be deeply, deeply appreciated. Any at all. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 05:58 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Are you committed to the Southeast? Your definitions sound like Northern to Mid-Atlantic states would suit your needs well - Miami will not iMO - the traffic is horrible - its congested - politics are a disaster - and while there are communities of intellectuals everywhere - I would not say they are abundant in Miami.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:28 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,105 times
Thumbs up Mostly Chatt

Laura : WELCOME. You almost have about 10 topics there & will give you a yes on 9 for Chatt. . Past my subject, but others will beat on Chatt for night life. Like celebrity entertainers, but activities are what you join or attend.

.. Music, folk / arts very big here. Actually the city has Paid / solicit artists to move here in past. Believe CHATTER mag had article about jewelry designer from Calif.! Hiking / biking outdoor exercise , VERY BIG business draw here. Sounds like you would be a natural in the tourism city organization. There is some sort of group every week for the big convention center.

.The mid June nine day "RIVERBEND" multi music band festival / fireworks is our killer night life event.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
You should check DC or anything North from that city because you will find in Muami the same kind of environment you are seeing in Atlanta if not worse.

Maybe try Asheville or Austin

Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
open minded people etc. nature, hiking, sounds like North Carolina to me. I always wanted to move there.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
You see I can't even spell Miami, Im the product Of the Miami dade school public school. system

Unlike DC and NYC, you won't hear people in buses talking about the theory of relativity, or people in clubs discussing Dadaism or post-modern art. You won't encounter cashiers who will randomly ask you "why are we here?" or your opinion about existentialism. No, that only happens in NYC or DC, where people are intellectual, smart and cultural

Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 AM

442 posts, read 828,481 times
She said she wanted a "slower" pace so why would she move to a city like DC or a large Northeastern city? My suggestion would be to look into cities with less than two-million people in the metro.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
OP

Of the people I've known to move to NC, as weird as it may sound, their preference usually is:

If you are an ITPer (or an OTPer with an ITP mindset), Asheville.

If you are an OTPer, Charlotte.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about Knoxville TN, which has the University of Tennessee and a couple of smaller colleges in the area, if I'm not mistaken?

Perhaps State College PA, Blacksburg/Roanoke VA, Lexington KY, Charlottesville VA, Pittsburgh area(and nearby Morgantown WV) and maybe the Ithaca NY area.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
OP

Of the people I've known to move to NC, as weird as it may sound, their preference usually is:

If you are an ITPer (or an OTPer with an ITP mindset), Asheville.

If you are an OTPer, Charlotte.
hows about the research triangle? ive been looking at Raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.