Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 06:57 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,746 times

Advertisements

I think you see this as well when you have a military base that is within about 60 miles of a big city.

Killeen, TX and Austin, TX
Clarksville, TN and Nashville, TN
Columbus, GA and Auburn, AL
Fayetteville, NC and Raleigh, NC

Cities that just have different cultures and mindsets

Dallas, TX and Fort Worth, TX
Austin, TX and San Antonio, TX
Baltimore, MD and Washington DC
Richmond, KY and Berea, KY
Cookeville, TN and Crossville, TN
Memphis, TN and Nashville, TN
Huntsville, AL and Birmingham, AL
Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC
Louisville, KY and Lexington, KY

The West has some great ones
Colorado Springs, CO and Denver, CO
Provo, UT and Park City, UT
Prescott, AZ and Phoenix, AZ
Sandpoint, ID and Coeur D' Alene, ID
Spokane, WA and Coeur D' Alene, ID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 07:54 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
NOLA and Houston

Old 11-08-2020, 10:14 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
Charleston and Myrtle Beach in SC.

Charleston: Progressive (has gone Democratic the last 4 presidential elections), large economy with many major sectors (Boeing/Mercedes-Benz/Volvo), vibrant with lots of stuff to do at all times a year, downtown area maybe has 1/4 of the population of the city, great entertainment, college town in the downtown area with students all over the place and free public transit.

Myrtle Beach: Very right-wing, leaning 75-80% Republican, sprawled out area where you pretty much have to have a car to go anywhere. Population goes up 5-10 times on a summer weekend, traffic feels like a city 10 times its size (Myrtle Beach only has 35K population in the city!). Town is basically dead most of the time between December and February. Most entertainment leaning towards 65+ community year-round, almost nothing for the younger folks except for beaches and minor-league baseball.

Only a hundred miles apart, but they feel like two different states. Charleston people don’t want anything to do with Myrtle Beach and vice versa.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:52 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
I think you see this as well when you have a military base that is within about 60 miles of a big city.

Killeen, TX and Austin, TX
Clarksville, TN and Nashville, TN
Columbus, GA and Auburn, AL

Cities that just have different cultures and mindsets

Dallas, TX and Fort Worth, TX
Austin, TX and San Antonio, TX
Baltimore, MD and Washington DC
Richmond, KY and Berea, KY
Cookeville, TN and Crossville, TN
Memphis, TN and Nashville, TN
Huntsville, AL and Birmingham, AL
Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC
Louisville, KY and Lexington, KY

The West has some great ones
Colorado Springs, CO and Denver, CO
Provo, UT and Park City, UT
Prescott, AZ and Phoenix, AZ
Sandpoint, ID and Coeur D' Alene, ID
Spokane, WA and Coeur D' Alene, ID

Auburn, AL is a big city? Since when?

Old 11-09-2020, 03:39 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
but Richmond is worlds removed from these two in every imaginable way despite being only 100 miles south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post

Richmond VA and Washington DC
This isn't true at all. Richmond is more alike DC in a number of ways than any other city you could think of, and those of us who have also been in Baltimore also know there's some similarity to Baltimore, particularly with the build and styling of both downtowns...

They are all Chesapeake cities. To say that either is "completely" different from the other wouldn't be true at all, but DC and Bmore are more dissimilar than either is from Richmond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post

Since moving back to NC I've gotten reacquainted with Fayetteville (my parents live there, so I'm there with my daughters visiting the grandparents 1-2 times per month). It really isn't as different from Raleigh (or Durham) as people would first believe...

The biggest difference is Fayetteville is decidedly more blue collar and "salt of the earth", Raleigh is more white collar and educated. Demographically they are about similar index of diversity but there are more black people in Fayetteville and more white people here in Raleigh. These are both characteristics that undoubtedly color the culture of a city, so you notice this when out abs about, but they really aren't all that different from each other...

Old 11-09-2020, 08:24 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This isn't true at all. Richmond is more alike DC in a number of ways than any other city you could think of, and those of us who have also been in Baltimore also know there's some similarity to Baltimore, particularly with the build and styling of both downtowns...

They are all Chesapeake cities. To say that either is "completely" different from the other wouldn't be true at all, but DC and Bmore are more dissimilar than either is from Richmond...

Since moving back to NC I've gotten reacquainted with Fayetteville (my parents live there, so I'm there with my daughters visiting the grandparents 1-2 times per month). It really isn't as different from Raleigh (or Durham) as people would first believe...

The biggest difference is Fayetteville is decidedly more blue collar and "salt of the earth", Raleigh is more white collar and educated. Demographically they are about similar index of diversity but there are more black people in Fayetteville and more white people here in Raleigh. These are both characteristics that undoubtedly color the culture of a city, so you notice this when out abs about, but they really aren't all that different from each other...
I'm pretty sure the bolded was the focus of the "complete difference."

That brings with it completely different lifestyles, employment opportunities, amenities, politics, etc.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

This is a post that I could have predicted. Richmond is like DC while Raleigh is like Fayetteville. Elevate Richmond, and diminish Raleigh...blah, blah, blah.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:39 AM

860 posts, read 697,317 times
Definitely DC and Baltimore.

Two separate football and baseball teams. Different culture and atitude, and much different look and vibe.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Aren't Atlanta and Chattanooga only like 2 hours apart, if that?

Old 11-10-2020, 09:22 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Austin and SA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.