Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,211 times

Advertisements

What cities do you know of that seem to have a "provincial" or "retro" feel to them, as if they never really left the '50s or some other past era? Of course, this applies even to cities that have acquired Starbucks, wi-fi fever, and other hallmarks of contemporary culture.... yet, in spite of it all, the city just seems so stuck in time, in a certain way.

An example could be Buffalo, NY (and the metro area), where either unemployment, underemployment, or low-paying service jobs have stepped in where decent factory jobs used to exist. Many people have left the city and the metro in general, but there are those who hang on there--some people do quite well there, but for most, the decline is palpable. Buffalo has pretty much missed out on the economic revivals of the past three decades, and the dot.com boom was barely noticeable there. Though a few retail/commercial zones show attempts to bring in new things, it seems that most of the residents continue to love things from the past: the traditional fish fry, football and hockey, clannish neighborhoods, generations-old taverns. Some sections of town look like they haven't changed in decades, and the same beer is gushing from their taps. Most people still think of prime rib and lobster as being the pinnacle of innovative high-class cuisine, and new fashions rarely ever take root, even among the well-heeled there.

Any other such places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
What cities do you know of that seem to have a "provincial" or "retro" feel to them, as if they never really left the '50s or some other past era? Of course, this applies even to cities that have acquired Starbucks, wi-fi fever, and other hallmarks of contemporary culture.... yet, in spite of it all, the city just seems so stuck in time, in a certain way.

An example could be Buffalo, NY (and the metro area), where either unemployment, underemployment, or low-paying service jobs have stepped in where decent factory jobs used to exist. Many people have left the city and the metro in general, but there are those who hang on there--some people do quite well there, but for most, the decline is palpable. Buffalo has pretty much missed out on the economic revivals of the past three decades, and the dot.com boom was barely noticeable there. Though a few retail/commercial zones show attempts to bring in new things, it seems that most of the residents continue to love things from the past: the traditional fish fry, football and hockey, clannish neighborhoods, generations-old taverns. Some sections of town look like they haven't changed in decades, and the same beer is gushing from their taps. Most people still think of prime rib and lobster as being the pinnacle of innovative high-class cuisine, and new fashions rarely ever take root, even among the well-heeled there.

Any other such places?
Buffalo was the exact example I was about to give...

Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,734 times
OMG - I grew up in Buffalo (and still visit family and friends there frequently0 -- the above poster hit the nail on the head!

Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Erie, PA maybe?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Although quite a bit of downtown has been built in the past 30 years, most of San Francisco is a throwback in time. My dad, who is almost 80, visited us out here in Sacramento this past fall, and I took him to San Francisco for a weekend. We walked around a lot of the area peripheral to the downtown area, and he said it was just how big cities looked like when he was a kid. It is exceptionally well maintained, and gives a great glimpse of life back 50-100 years ago.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Buffalo seemed REALLY stuck in time to me when I was there, because I was spending a week in Canada in Niagara Falls and Toronto. It was strange (And a little scary) to see how much more progressive it is just across the border.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:12 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Cleveland! City of the 80s, today!

total disclosure: I like 80s music.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM

154 posts, read 707,252 times
oakland, CA seems stuck in the 90's. not that it's a bad thing, the 90's are the best decade!

i agree with buffalo & erie too though.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Buffalo sounds a lot like Pittsburgh, except it's football and baseball there.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Charleston, New Orleans and Savannah still retain that old charm from a century ago though on the plus side I hear that things have moved on significantly in terms of civil rights. Even post Katrina the ambience of New Orleans survives in its diverse culture, food and architecture.

Philadelphia, Detroit, and Oakland still have that 70s and 80s ghetto feel. Baltimore does to a lesser extent. These cities will never improve, especially Detroit which has to deal not only with the auto industry but also with its miserable weather keeping people away. Yeah I don't now much about Buffalo but I image the same thing.

Las Vegas - always feels like a city from the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.