Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:24 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times

Advertisements

What things would you do to improve your city and why? Where I'm from,I'd like to see the city add additional police to the force to curb the wave of crime.Better mass-transit tocut down on the number of cars on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Id like to see my city preserve some more land, instead of offering it for development. Nothing pisses me off more than to drive past an area that I like to hike in, just to see a FOR SALE sign.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Kick out the yuppies.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Keep my city a city. In other words, halt the creeping suburbanization of city neighborhoods. For starters, ban all big box stores and drive up windows (banks, fast food, drug stores, etc.). Prohibit any more street widening projects. Scale back on the number of required parking spaces for businesses. Prohibit the closure of any more bus stops or the re-routing of any bus lines for the convenience of auto traffic. Strictly enforce sidewalk snow clearance and sidewalk maintenece ordinances. Prohibit the paving of more than 50% of any business-zoned lot; 30% of any residential-zoned lot.

But what about those who want otherwise? There are dozens of suburbs in our Metro area that'll suit them just fine!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
1. Give my city major sports teams, a real pro sports identity and stop "sharing" teams with another city.

2. Develop a bigger skyline and stop cancelling every project that comes are way (though this may be out of the citiy's hands).

3. After Trinity River Vision is done, promote more tourism.

4. Create light rail system (probably in the works).

5. Move our city hall to the old post office and turn our current, butt-ugly city hall into a 50 story tower.

6. Finally, hit anyone over the head with a brick if they say that what ever this city has (example: the Texas Motor Speedway) is in Dallas. Just Kidding

We're still one of the safest and most liveable cities in America (don't let COPS fool you) so I don't think we need to fix that. And we have an attractive Downtown area and Cultural Arts District.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,974 times
1. Keep developing the Mass Transit system, but do it at a faster pace. Light rails etc. This will help traffic and the environment. Expanding the highways every X years is not an option.

2. Stimulating the local economy for businesses and the job market.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:26 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Better deal with quality-of-life offsenses: everything from littering and loitering to prostitution and drug traffic.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:27 PM

275 posts, read 870,529 times
Expand the Interstates. The population is booming, but we still have two-lane highways in the busiest parts. Either build another lane or develop another Interstate system between Hampton and Norfolk.

Build a venue/sports complex large enough to attract a pro team. We keep trying, but our venues are too small (11,000 for basketball, about the same for baseball). I'd shoot for a multi-purpose arena twice the capacity, since it seems easier to get NBA, or about three times as large for baseball. Put this arena away from downtown Norfolk or near Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Traffic is bad enough as is, don't complicate it. I'd suggest either Suffolk or somewhere out in Chesapeake, where there's some vacant land (not wooded areas). Build a nice entertainment complex around it, kinda like (The Town Center of Virginia Beach.)

Attract the pro sports team.

Supply more after-school programs to help curb the teen gang problem. It could be worse, but it could be a lot better too.

Somehow lower the cost of living. Your average townhouse is running into the low-$200s.

Preserve more wooded areas instead of turning them into Wal-Marts and condo complexes. It's causing a problem with animals running around, esp. deer and the occasional bear.

Last edited by tvpirate05; 07-12-2007 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: adding on more

Old 07-12-2007, 07:20 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Hmm, I love Phoenix but I'll admit there are a few problems I like to address:

1) Expand the police force to combat the large amount of crime in some parts of the Valley.

2) Develop a larger skyline and make Downtown a more popular place to visit by adding local nightlife, bars, restaurants, shopping, etc.

3) Keep progressing with the METRO (light-rail) system and make it comparable to what Dallas is doing currently. Extend it into ALL the suburbs.

4) Attract more Forture 500 and Forture 1000 companies to the area.

5) Enlarge the Phoenix freeway/highway system and make it 6 lanes in each direction.

6) Attract more upscale restaurants and shopping to Scottsdale/Paradise Valley.

7) Beautify some of the more run-down areas.

There's my 7 step plan to make Phoenix one of the best cities in the US.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,342 times
Any city U.S.A.

1. Full out Scarlett Letter type tracking devices on sex offenders.
2. Mandatory community service for all traffic offenders.
3. No student left behind .. what a crock.. go to summer school.
4. Bring back and expand P.E. in school, kids are getting way to lazy.
5. Soliciting should be baned on personal property.
6. Outlaw lobbyist, let the peoples vote determine policy.
7. More public water fountains would be nice.
8. Health care is a mess but I am clueless on that one.
9. When is HDTV going to be free ?
10.For the sake of the people who have suffered long enough
can't they fix one season for the Cubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.