Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 02:37 PM

187 posts, read 541,786 times

Advertisements

Every house looks the same, people are the same, "entertainment" doesn't really include anything other than going to ____'s house. You can't really walk anywhere. You need a car for everything and shopping consists of little else than going to the local strip mall or Walmart. I don't know, it just seems like such a horrible way to live. It really perplexes me why people actually WANT to live in suburbia. I don't really mind living in a tiny apartment in the city because I spend most of my time outside anyways. In suburbia, you really are trapped in your house and can't go anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM

28 posts, read 34,139 times
You are partly right. A lot of suburbs are like that. But there are also some advantages. For a single person or a young couple, city life is great, but when you have kids, it becomes a lot harder to be able to live in the city. Inner city schools aren't good, and a 4 bedroom house in a nice section of a large city usually costs somewhere in the millions. Suburbs are cheaper, but they also are located to stores, too. All of the suburbs I have lived in were really close to shopping, schools, and were safer, too. A lot of houses look the same, and you don't get the nightlife of a larger city, but suburbs are a good alternative to city life for families.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:14 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
Suburbia is good for raising kids.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
Every house looks the same, people are the same, "entertainment" doesn't really include anything other than going to ____'s house. You can't really walk anywhere. You need a car for everything and shopping consists of little else than going to the local strip mall or Walmart. I don't know, it just seems like such a horrible way to live. It really perplexes me why people actually WANT to live in suburbia. I don't really mind living in a tiny apartment in the city because I spend most of my time outside anyways. In suburbia, you really are trapped in your house and can't go anywhere.
Many cities have neighborhoods, block after block, where all the houses look the same. You would rather live in an apartment building where every tenant has exactly the same floor plan? Why is that better.

"Trapped in your house"? Only if you want to be.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:34 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
Suburbs are peaceful and a safe-haven for couples with children.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,899 times
<Every house looks the same>
Uh,, no... depends on which neighborhood you're talking about. Lots of areas in cities look 'the same' too...

<people are the same>
What? Oh yes, they are all exactly the same- every single person in every suburban neighborhood. Now that's a pretty stupid generalization.

<"entertainment" doesn't really include anything other than going to ____'s house>
Did it ever occur to you-- that maybe easy access to constant 'entertainment' is not the first priority on everyone's mind...? Besides, truly creative people are involved in creative pursuits no matter where they live-- whether it be reading, writing, art, music, film, gardening, social groups, community involvement, education, cooking/cuisine, exercise/hiking, building, creating, etc. etc..

<You can't really walk anywhere>
Also not necessarily true.. but at least where you do walk, it's often safer & cleaner. and you do give up easy/close walking access for other benefits...

<You need a car for everything and shopping consists of little else than going to the local strip mall or Walmart>
Yes it's true the need for a car is usually greater, but if you live in a 'burb very close to the core of the city (or actually IN the city- there are burbs IN cities you know...) then you are often minutes away from everything you need (and NO I'm not talking about Walmart!)

<I don't know>
Yes,, clearly.. you don't

<it just seems like such a horrible way to live.>
No more horrible than dealing with being harassed by drunks/ druggies/ beggars/ homeless/ criminals/ thugs.. being robbed, trash everywhere, grafitti, noise, pollution & exhaust in your face, drugs dealers doing deals right in front of you, police sirens, gunshots, dead rats, feeling claustrophobic, etc.. OK those are the worst extremes but no worse than the extremes you speak of when describing the burbs

<It really perplexes me why people actually WANT to live in suburbia>
Because often it's the best value/investment at the most affordable price, for the best quality of life & the most space. You often have a nice YARD-- your own little piece of paradise so you can enjoy your own green space, trees, privacy, fresh air; you can garden, grow your own food, etc... You want a little space from your neighbors and don't want to live in a cramped apt bldg having to deal with all your neighbors' quirks... quality of life, privacy, space, more trees, safer, community involvement; you often have easy access to everything you need. You can have whatever pets you want (within reason), a yard for the dog.. and did I mention privacy & space..? And if you have kids, parents oftentimes want to live near good school districts to offer their kids a better future. Also, many times people live in a an area that is near the job they took, and that happens to be in a burb.

<I don't really mind living in a tiny apartment in the city because I spend most of my time outside anyways. In suburbia, you really are trapped in your house and can't go anywhere.>
OK that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. How are they 'trapped'....??

You must be very young.... the young often think that their viewpoint is the only 'right' way to be.... Life experience tells you that there are many different viewpoints about things. Many people who live in burbs might have different priorities than yours... They don't have to be right in the middle of all the 'action'.. or maybe they've been there & done that.
But you asked 'why?' so there's a few points for you to ponder. Your lifestyle might not work for someone else, and vice-versa. but that doesn't mean it's stupid or horrible.
btw.. I lived in the inner city for many years. Glad to be done with it. Now I have the best of both worlds.. peace & quiet, space, relative safety & privacy.. but still in the city & only a few mins from downtown.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
I agree with the above post. I remember when I was younger and chose where to live based on the walking proximity to nightlife. Nothing is more aggravating then grocery shopping (or any shopping more than a couple of bags), moving, buying large items, noisy neighbors, noise and sirens. I always groan when people use the expression "cookie cutter." Who gives a crap if the house next to you is the exact same? Unless you're competing for a spot in architectural digest what does it matter if the Jones' have the same layout as you? Why the suburbs? Peace and quiet on your terms. If you want the city you can go visit it.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 PM

41,960 posts, read 75,205,836 times
That may be your experience; trust me, it's not the experience of everyone else, those living in the suburbs or otherwise.

When you grow up a little bit more, you'll learn that there are shades of grey in everything, including city life vs. suburban life.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
It's not my cup of tea, but some people (people with children, people who don't mind driving everywhere, and people don't like parks but prefer humongous yards, for example) prefer suburbs. I think it depends on what your priorities are. I have no interest in having children or getting married so I'd prefer to live somewhere more urban, walkable, with attractive architecture, and dense. But that's just me. Unfortunately, I've not yet had the privilege of moving to such a locale but I'm hoping to make it happen before I die.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times
I do have to wonder though, people who prefer the suburbs for "their kids" and flee to the Pleasant Valley of their choice, is it any wonder that the amenities and public offerings never get any better if people deplete the tax and population bases in their rush to abandon ship? I understand the consider your own child's well-being over the whole so perhaps that trumps any larger altruistic concerns. Strangely though, property does more often than not appear to be more expensive in the urban cores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.