Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,159 times

Advertisements

Ive been trying to research where to go for some time now. Im a business owner living in DC and i hate it here. I feel there are so many more considerations when trying to decide where to move, like quality of life. Ive been looking for an area with an educated black middle class. Of course I look for salary, cost of living, etc.

What I have found is that the DC area is great for those in the political arena or non-profit execs and maybe even higher education, but people here are so bourgie and the men and women DO NOT LIKE EACH OTHER. I moved here from Cali and I notice a huge diff in how the opp sexes treat one another. I dont want to be anywhere making millions and not have a fun active social life. I need to feel like, at the end of the day, i can enjoy life, not just work to live.

Heres a list of places I found at various places online btw for others like me looking for somewhere else to live. Im not numbering it cause diff sites place the cities in diff orders:

Houtston tx
Dallas tx
Raleigh-Durham nc
Charlotte nc
Atlanta ga
Jacksonville fl
Memphis tn
Birmingham al
Chicago il
dc-md-va (dmv)
Baltimore md
Cleveland oh
Indianapolis in

Theres prolly more but thats what I can think of right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM

83 posts, read 163,885 times
I find it interesting that the intent of this post is respected, but when I put a different version of it - http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ns-2011-a.html

there were knee jerk reactions of course. people accused me of racism, when clearly there were no racial insults.

"If something is acceptable for one group, it should be for another as well."

Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,264 times
OK, we get it, it's a double standard. You happy now?

Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM

171 posts, read 218,613 times
Mobile, AL
Tallahassee, FL

Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM

83 posts, read 163,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
OK, we get it, it's a double standard. You happy now?
Yeah, and I won't shut up about these double standards until they're acknowledged and eradicated.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
Yeah, and I won't shut up about these double standards until they're acknowledged and eradicated.
Most people acknowledge double-standards. Think about it, for example, everyone knows that;

- Women can hit men and men can't hit women back (without facing backlash).

- Poor people can complain about rich people and rich people can't complain about poor people (without facing backlash).

- Women can wear mens clothes but men can't wear womens clothes.

But double-standards will probably never be eradicated (at least within the next few generations). It's too ingrained into society's moral code.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suiyon View Post
Ive been trying to research where to go for some time now. Im a business owner living in DC and i hate it here. I feel there are so many more considerations when trying to decide where to move, like quality of life. Ive been looking for an area with an educated black middle class. Of course I look for salary, cost of living, etc.

What I have found is that the DC area is great for those in the political arena or non-profit execs and maybe even higher education, but people here are so bourgie and the men and women DO NOT LIKE EACH OTHER. I moved here from Cali and I notice a huge diff in how the opp sexes treat one another. I dont want to be anywhere making millions and not have a fun active social life. I need to feel like, at the end of the day, i can enjoy life, not just work to live.

Heres a list of places I found at various places online btw for others like me looking for somewhere else to live. Im not numbering it cause diff sites place the cities in diff orders:

Houtston tx
Dallas tx
Raleigh-Durham nc
Charlotte nc
Atlanta ga
Jacksonville fl
Memphis tn
Birmingham al
Chicago il
dc-md-va (dmv)
Baltimore md
Cleveland oh
Indianapolis in

Theres prolly more but thats what I can think of right now

Yes, DC is known for it's rude people. They say it's keeping it real, but the truth is they're just being *******s.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Can somebody please fill me in as to why NYC hasn't been listed by anybody?

It likely has the second largest middle class black population(%) in the country behind DC in addition to the region having higher salaries.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:50 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,104 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Yes, DC is known for it's rude people. They say it's keeping it real, but the truth is they're just being *******s.
No generalizations here

Old 01-01-2012, 06:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
No generalizations here
Thank you for understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.