Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:01 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Have their been cases where Macy's has been in the same shopping center with Wal-Mart?
It may not be Macy's, but its funny when thinking about that.

Parisian and Nordstrom next to Walmart and across the street from a trailer park.

Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There is nothing exclusive or unique about Macy's. They acquired FEDERATED department stores and then subsequently began buying, closing and/or converting EVERY major hometown department store in America into the Macy's brand. Some of the greatest, most historic hometown department store chains in this country have been turned into Macy's and reduced to little more than glorified JC Pennys -- Rich's of Atlanta, Burdine's of Miami, Maison Blanche in New Orleans, Foley's in Dallas, Hudson's in Minneapolis and perhaps the most offensive and agregious Macy's takeover of all: Marshall-Fields in Chicago. MILLIONS OF AMERICANS 9myself included) refuse to shop at Macy's for what they have done to the retail fabric of this country.
Actually, Hudson's was in Detroit. They were acquired by Dayton's of Minneapolis about 15-20 years ago. Then Dayton-Hudson sold out to Marshall Field's of Chicago, which was subsequently acquired by Macy's. (Meanwhile, Dayton's spawned Target about 40 years ago, which broke off from Dayton's before they were sold, and which still headquartered in Minneapolis.)

Old 06-24-2011, 06:48 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Has Macy's thought about expanding into smaller markets ever? There are alot of small populations with no department stores or like just a Kohl's, and then have at least 10,000 population and over making close to $100,000 or at that much. I noticed Macy's is almost purely in lifestyle centers or regional malls. With a couple rare exceptions.

JCPenney's, Belks, and Dillards are in the strip mall format.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM

161 posts, read 328,992 times
Quote:
I am wondering what is the deal with Macy's? What is up with their company right now? I heard Macy's used to look for high population areas, but then seeing how Macy's is in some parts of Montana, Hawaii, and other under populated areas I think income is more important. I mean Macy's is in Hilo and there is hardly any population there.

Anyways, I think Macy's is a great store. It's one of the desirable chain stores I like.

But how do they end up in undesirable cities and yet also appear in desirable cities?
They bought out everyone. There aren't many regional department stores left these days.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It really doesn't have anything to do with income. People from the country clubs and exclusive gated communities to the hood all over the country where stuff like Polo Ralph Lauren. Macy's and Polo go hand in hand. Some things are just classically American. Polo and Macy's are some of those classically American things that are accepted in most places in America. Everyone from a farmer might have an old Polo shirt to kids in the ghetto wanting to wear the freshest clothes. Polo is like Nike, it was and is fashionable and wearable for all demographics of people.
Macy's is also the sole distributor for Tommy Hilfiger. A few years back I read he had a deal with them where they were the only outlet for his clothing, other than discount stores that sell what Macy's was not able to sell.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Ha ha JCPenney's, Kohl's, and Sear's must be in the discount clothing department store tier.

I am trying hard right now to convince a developer to work with our city government to bring Macy's to our community.

There is going to be an upcoming city council meeting and I am going to make a powerful speech.

The city is willing to give incentives to Macy's. My question would be, how good of a deal do you need to get a company like Macy's? The city would draw about 80,000 population. Shoppers that live over the hill usually don't come to shop to our town.
Those stores have good quality, always have. Whether or not the clothing is fashionable is the real issue. Those stores tend to carry clothing that is more practical, basic and utilitarian, than what Macy's offers. When America itself was more practical, back in the 70s and 80s those stores were actually sought after destinations. By the 90s though they were dead in the water.

America's fascination with designer brands in the 90s effectively killed JC Penney's and Sears. Khols has a lot of sales and a lot of incentives, that are heavily advertised. You would be foolish to pay retail at Khols.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Macy's didn't kill that, American consumers did. With the advent of discount stores (primarily WalMart), most Americans threw downtown shopping areas under the bus for discount shopping in the 'burbs. When those downtown department stores failed Macy's moved in to take over many of them. Be thankful a decent store moved in, versus many locations that now sit empty.
Absolutely! This happened long before WalMart was popular though. I saw the signs as early as the mid 80s, at least in the Midwest, and few were thinking about WalMart back then.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Has Macy's thought about expanding into smaller markets ever? There are alot of small populations with no department stores or like just a Kohl's, and then have at least 10,000 population and over making close to $100,000 or at that much. I noticed Macy's is almost purely in lifestyle centers or regional malls. With a couple rare exceptions.

JCPenney's, Belks, and Dillards are in the strip mall format.
Most times Kohl's is sufficient for small towns of that size. Understand that a store like Target is a HUGE deal for towns that size, and is still a huge deal for people in major cities. Many towns of 50,000, depending on how cosmopolitan the residents are, will at least have a Target or a Kohl's. Again for those towns the stores are more than sufficient.

Another thing about smaller towns like that is that people have the money to buy the high end stuff but flat out refuse to. It just doesn't vibe with the culture in those towns, which is often more Abercrombie and Fitch, or Chaps and Polo Ralph Lauren is like a huge deal. Go to the inner city and you can find Polo Ralph Lauren at any discount store, a lot of "urban" stores that sell shoes and jeans also sell Polo Ralph Lauren.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris72 View Post
Most times Kohl's is sufficient for small towns of that size. Understand that a store like Target is a HUGE deal for towns that size, and is still a huge deal for people in major cities. Many towns of 50,000, depending on how cosmopolitan the residents are, will at least have a Target or a Kohl's. Again for those towns the stores are more than sufficient.

Another thing about smaller towns like that is that people have the money to buy the high end stuff but flat out refuse to. It just doesn't vibe with the culture in those towns, which is often more Abercrombie and Fitch, or Chaps and Polo Ralph Lauren is like a huge deal. Go to the inner city and you can find Polo Ralph Lauren at any discount store, a lot of "urban" stores that sell shoes and jeans also sell Polo Ralph Lauren.
We have 30,000 population but 50,000 population including other town and 80,000 population within 20 minutes.

We have Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl's, OSH, and Lowe's. We also have Ross, JCPenney's at 40,000 sq. ft., Fashion Bug, and TJ Maxx. With plans for Costco down the road.

I'm sorry, but those stores don't wow me for clothing.

But there are other discounters that I do like Bloomingdale's Outlet, Nordstrom Rack, Loehman's, and Burlington Coat Factory.

Unfortunately, these stores only locate in larger populations. With the exception of Burlington Coat Factory.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Macy's bought out Meier & Frank in downtown Portland, in Tigard, and Hillsboro. I don't know how the stores are doing but I don't shop at any of them because I've never liked Macy's ~ they're way overpriced. I loved Meier & Frank, which was just as expensive but they had good sales often, and I still miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.