Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
As others have mentioned, Macy's bought out a number of chains in the past decade. While some of these stores have become Macy's, many have simply closed.

In the Pacific Northwest, the once strong Bon Marche brand was bought out by Federated, then Federated bought out Macy's. Federated liked the Macy's name and operated many chains that became Macy's, but again, many were also closed.
I liked the nostalgic downtown department stores like Bon Marche in Seattle, Marshall Fields in Chicago, Filenes in Boston. Especially around the holidays. Macy's killed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 06:08 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Don't expect a Macy's in Montana to offer the same "product" as the Macy's on W 34th.
Not that it matters, but many consumers may associate Macy's with its beloved flagship store on 34th St. in NYC--when its home base is actually Cincinnati, Ohio...

Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
It's because they bought other department stores that went out of business.

You have your 3 categories of department stores, from low to high:

1. Macy's, Dillard's, Belk, Elder Beerman etc.
2. Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor
3. Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue

If a metro area has more than 2 million people, you can expect to have one or more of the high end department stores in that area depending on average income.
We have stores from all 3 of your categories here in the Mpls/St. Paul. Just judging from the local ones, I'd rank Bloomingdale's on your level 2.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,764,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
It's because they bought other department stores that went out of business.

You have your 3 categories of department stores, from low to high:

1. Macy's, Dillard's, Belk, Elder Beerman etc.
2. Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor
3. Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Saks Fifth Avenue

If a metro area has more than 2 million people, you can expect to have one or more of the high end department stores in that area depending on average income.
Ha ha JCPenney's, Kohl's, and Sear's must be in the discount clothing department store tier.

I am trying hard right now to convince a developer to work with our city government to bring Macy's to our community.

There is going to be an upcoming city council meeting and I am going to make a powerful speech.

The city is willing to give incentives to Macy's. My question would be, how good of a deal do you need to get a company like Macy's? The city would draw about 80,000 population. Shoppers that live over the hill usually don't come to shop to our town.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:06 PM

9,533 posts, read 16,525,000 times
I have wondered this also. When I moved to Portland I was somewhat but not completely shocked how much poverty and financial disparity in population is in this city. The one's that have marketed this city so much in the last decade conviently left that out.

I was surprised that the Macy's in downtown closed during these troubled times, only to refurbish itself and reopen into a flagship store. I believe a luxury hotel is part of the bldg that houses Macy. Everytime I walk by this store I am amazed they attract any customers. So I walked in a few times and there were few customers. The downtown location is plagued by what Portland is known for, an unusually high homeless and panhandler population. They are right outside the Macy's and that luxury hotel every day in large numbers sitting and laying all over the sidewalks. So far this location has lost a number of high end stores and it was due to the fact the customer base isn't in this area. Sacks 5th Ave and Williams Sonoma were just two of many stores across the street from Macy's that packed up this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Macy's leave downtown Portland if this economy or a higher end shopper doesn't move into Portland.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,764,461 times
Have their been cases where Macy's has been in the same shopping center with Wal-Mart?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Macy's bought lots of local department stores and chains. Here in the Twin Cities, they bought Dayton's, once the cities' premier department stores. Now that they are Macy's, their service, selection and quality have declined. Used to shop at Dayton's a lot, but mostly I'll go to Kohl's before I'll go to Macy's. Nothing special about it.
I have to agree with you- the older i get the more i gravitate towards a lower end store even a store like macy's

however sometimes at large dept high end stores you can really find some gret deals off season

Old 06-13-2011, 03:45 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Oh, care to explain this more?

That makes sense. Is this why people say one market is a tier 1, one is a a tier 2, and tier 3....

I guess Macy's can adapt to different demographic environments.
For a store to be profitable they have to cater to a market they have a presence

tastes will be totally different in a city vs. one in a more rural type setting

grocers do the same things as well as just about any successfull retail establishment
think abou kohls if you have them where you live

I live in Illinois so in the mens dept you would see beart, illinois, purdue team shirts and garb

Lets say your in Michigan you would see- lions, michigan state and uof m
college wear.

the stores are catering to their local market

same holds true for like a hardware store - you will not see snow blowers in arizona at an ace hardware

Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I liked the nostalgic downtown department stores like Bon Marche in Seattle, Marshall Fields in Chicago, Filenes in Boston. Especially around the holidays. Macy's killed that.
Macy's didn't kill that, American consumers did. With the advent of discount stores (primarily WalMart), most Americans threw downtown shopping areas under the bus for discount shopping in the 'burbs. When those downtown department stores failed Macy's moved in to take over many of them. Be thankful a decent store moved in, versus many locations that now sit empty.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
true are you old enough to remember the Jordan Marsh that used to be in downtown Boston where Macy's is now? My mom practically lived in that store. don't get me started on Filene's

Macy's seems to be getting a bad rep from die hard fans of those stores they take over. I've heard quite a few Chicagoans that will refuse to shop at the Macy's on State St. b/c they took over Marshall Fields
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.