Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Has been done and to be honest, no one has made a big deal about it. For instance, there are questions looking for a lack of diversity or to the effect of mostly or very white cities. So, it's actually been done.

Also, let's be honest about images that are depicted about certain groups and how that effects the society at large. So to ask such a question in regards to Whites just wouldn't make sense when considering that. If it was about an ethnic group, then I think that would be different in terms of factors like location, perception about what groups are in certain regions or cities and so on.
Sure, if you tactfully dressed up your inquiry about where to find a good mono-cultural spot to reside, then the backlash would be minimal.

But to post: 'Good Safe White Cites', or even: 'Good Safe Caucasian Cities', and then to ask how to 'keep the "ghetto" element out' would immediately be viewed as racist, and outrage would soon follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
The problem is that there are more bad, unsafe African American communities than good and safe ones. When will successful, intelligent, educated african americans quit abandoning their communities for white ones? That's the problem and why so many african american communities remain plagued by a plethora of problems. African Americans must invest in and better their communities instead of giving up on them once they get ahead in life. Otherwise, they just leave behind a trail of destruction for their fellow black man to live with.
This is really a tough issue and I can see how it goes both ways. The number one determining factor for middle and upper class Black families moving out to the suburbs is schools. Just about everything else will be secondary. So in that light, who can blame anyone, not just Blacks, for wanting to ensure that their children receive a quality education?

The flip side of it involves a pretty complex discussion involving the Civil Rights movement and some of the subsequent legislation that resulted.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This is really a tough issue and I can see how it goes both ways. The number one determining factor for middle and upper class Black families moving out to the suburbs is schools. Just about everything else will be secondary. So in that light, who can blame anyone, not just Blacks, for wanting to ensure that their children receive a quality education?

The flip side of it involves a pretty complex discussion involving the Civil Rights movement and some of the subsequent legislation that resulted.
The problem is when many blacks start moving into a school district, that school's test scores actually go down (as evidenced by Homewood-Flossmoor High School in Chicago's southland as one prime example). Thus, the start of white flight.

Why does this occur? I think the first 10-20% of black families that move into a white community generally have a positive purpose. However, after that, some of the families that follow the initial 10-20% don't have the same high standards thus a poorer family structure and a lack of value for education. How else to explain the test scores dropping once the school demographics start to shift in a major way?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
The problem is when many blacks start moving into a school district, that school's test scores actually go down (as evidenced by Homewood-Flossmoor High School in Chicago's southland as one prime example). Thus, the start of white flight.

Why does this occur? I think the first 10-20% of black families that move into a white community generally have a positive purpose. However, after that, some of the families that follow the initial 10-20% don't have the same high standards thus a poorer family structure and a lack of value for education. How else to explain the test scores dropping once the school demographics start to shift in a major way?
That is another good point. Phenomena like this have been explored in books like Sheryl Cashin's The Failures of Integration and describe the unique situation that many middle class Black families find themselves in. Of course, there are underlying cultural issues that factor into these sorts of things as well, particularly on the part of that "second wave" that you speak of. But it's a lot to ask for any family with school-age children to be the pioneering or native gentrifiers in a neighborhood that lacks investment and resources. I suppose this is why yuppies, DINKs, and empty nesters seem to constitute the bulk of the demographic of gentrifiers in any given inner-city gentrifying neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Sure, if you tactfully dressed up your inquiry about where to find a good mono-cultural spot to reside, then the backlash would be minimal.

But to post: 'Good Safe White Cites', or even: 'Good Safe Caucasian Cities', and then to ask how to 'keep the "ghetto" element out' would immediately be viewed as racist, and outrage would soon follow.
Perhaps, but the fact that the question would be kind of silly to ask in a country where about 2/3rds of the people are White. I don't know if it would be racist, as much as it would be ignorant.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:

That's not necessarily the case all of the time. Sometimes the demographics change, but the quality stays the same. I gave an example of a a couple of schools in Utica, NY, a city that is about 15% Black and a school district that is 28% Black in Upstate NY. It's best elementary schools are predominately Black, in spite of the poverty in these communities. I'm not talking about having test scores that are good for "an urban school", but scores that are just plain good. click on test scores and school environment for these two schools:Martin Luther King Jr Elementary School - Utica, New York - NY - School overview

Watson Williams Elementary School - Utica, New York - NY - School overview

So, sometimes it depends. Another example is Cleveland Hill High School outside of Buffalo. I believe the Black grad. rate was slightly higher than that for the White students there for 2007. This is a district that is about 26% Black in terms of student population. https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0703020003.pdf

Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:

This happened in Nyack, NY schools too. There are possibly many factors involved in this, but sometimes it is the perception that comes with the change in demographics, even if the quality of the community stays the same.

Here's the article about Nyack:Racial Gap in Schools Splits A Town Proud of Diversity - The New York Times

Then you have districts like Malverne on Long Island, which is a predominately Black district, but generally has good test scores:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0212030005.pdf

Malverne Senior High School - Malverne, New York - NY - School overview (click on test scores and school environment)

Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
well 1st thing that came to mind was black motorcycle clubs, affluent professionals that like to get away together on weekends on expensive motorcycles

Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Quote:
That's not necessarily the case all of the time. Sometimes the demographics change, but the quality stays the same. I gave an example of a a couple of schools in Utica, NY, a city that is about 15% Black and a school district that is 28% Black in Upstate NY. It's best elementary schools are predominately Black, in spite of the poverty in these communities. I'm not talking about having test scores that are good for "an urban school", but scores that are just plain good. click on test scores and school environment for these two schools:Martin Luther King Jr Elementary School - Utica, New York - NY - School overview

Watson Williams Elementary School - Utica, New York - NY - School overview

So, sometimes it depends. Another example is Cleveland Hill High School outside of Buffalo. I believe the Black grad. rate was slightly higher than that for the White students there for 2007. This is a district that is about 26% Black in terms of student population. https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0703020003.pdf
15, 28, or 26 percent really doesn't add up to much IMO. that's like saying 85 percent or 74 percent remains the same so naturally the test scores would not be effected as much. I'm looking at places that were once 80% but are now 40% white. As soon as white is the minority, the test scores seem to drop. I do have to admit that my knowledge and experience is limited to the southside of chicago.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:30 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but the fact that the question would be kind of silly to ask in a country where about 2/3rds of the people are White. I don't know if it would be racist, as much as it would be ignorant.
There are very many people who feel that there are too many blacks, or other races, in their area and who want to find 'safer' white-only areas to live in or visit.

I'm not one of them, but there are millions.

And the fact that you immediately write that off as 'ignorant' pretty much proves my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.