Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,932 times

Advertisements

Seattlite,

I agree! This thread really pisses me off! It seems like some white folks on here watch too much Hannity & Colmes and Fox News where they always get the "perspective" of the black community by bringing on a fringe guest like the "New Black Panthers" or some black separatist nutjob, and then pass these extreme views off as being mainstream in the black community.

A message to some of you folks: MOST OF US ARE HARD WORKING FOLKS WHO DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING FROM ANYBODY, NOR DO WE BLAME ANYONE FOR ANYTHING!!! It's really not that novel of a thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:37 AM

47 posts, read 296,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Seattlite,

I agree! This thread really pisses me off! It seems like some white folks on here watch too much Hannity & Colmes and Fox News where they always get the "perspective" of the black community by bringing on a fringe guest like the "New Black Panthers" or some black separatist nutjob, and then pass these extreme views off as being mainstream in the black community.

A message to some of you folks: MOST OF US ARE HARD WORKING FOLKS WHO DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING FROM ANYBODY, NOR DO WE BLAME ANYONE FOR ANYTHING!!! It's really not that novel of a thing!
I agree with you 100% with your last statement: I know a lot of AAs who are hard working and strive to have a better life for themselves as well as their families. Sadly, however, there ARE some (including some relatives of mine) who ARE lazy and expect others to give them a helping hand but then there are people like that of EVERY race and I see them every day and those are the ones who I stay away from. I don't need anyone, regardless of race, constantly whining and crying about how they had it so bad coming up. I grew up in the WORST of the worst inner-city projects in Indianapolis and if I had the courage and determination to make it out and into a middle class community, then God knows that anyone can do it!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
IndyDiva73, I've seen your posts, and it is very refreshing. As a AA who is currently in college, I constantly have to deal w/ prejudice from whites and other so-called "advanced" minorities because they think I'm some ignorant n*gger that got here through Affirmative Action, despite the fact that I got a 1340 on the SAT (out of 1600), a 3.55 GPA (4.0+ since sophomore year), speak fluent English, hate the gangster rap culture and all it stands for, and wear normal clothing. If my university (and better yet, the county and state I live in) had blacks w/ your mentality, all blacks who are decent citizens would be be treated like true Americans. Also, as for the blacks who are lazy as hell and blame the world for their failures, I would give them the highway salute as far as I'm concerned, especially seeing how these ghetto blacks treat an intelligent black person who's trying to do something w/ their life worse than they would a skinhead or Klansman.
I know exactly what you mean! I have received some prejudice from some whites as well as blacks (including some in my family!!) because I don't fit the so-called 'typical AA stereotype'; I also graduated at the top of my class in high school and college receiving a 3.75 in high school and an excellent 4.0 in college and made the Dean's List every single year of my college career. I also don't embrace 'gangsta rap' and wear decent normal clothing and speak fluent English as well. I have been called 'stuck-up', 'bourgie' and every other name I can think of by fellow blacks just because I didn't fit the 'black folks mentality' but I don't let it bother me because I want people of different races to know that all AAs don't have the same mentality and that there are millions of us who can achieve our goals and be what we want to be! Not all blacks are lazy and ghetto and living in the projects but sadly, not a lot of us are portrayed in the media.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:47 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDiva73 View Post
I agree with you 100% with your last statement: I know a lot of AAs who are hard working and strive to have a better life for themselves as well as their families. Sadly, however, there ARE some (including some relatives of mine) who ARE lazy and expect others to give them a helping hand but then there are people like that of EVERY race and I see them every day and those are the ones who I stay away from. I don't need anyone, regardless of race, constantly whining and crying about how they had it so bad coming up. I grew up in the WORST of the worst inner-city projects in Indianapolis and if I had the courage and determination to make it out and into a middle class community, then God knows that anyone can do it!
The problem is that some people cannot or refuse to understand that the majority of black folks are decent hard working people who aren't constantly blaming whites for their woes. I'm willing to bet that most of the people who believe that the majority of black folks play "race and victim" card rarely interact with us is a meaningful way. If they had some close black friends they wouldn't feel this way.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDiva73 View Post
I know exactly what you mean! I have received some prejudice from some whites as well as blacks (including some in my family!!) because I don't fit the so-called 'typical AA stereotype'; I also graduated at the top of my class in high school and college receiving a 3.75 in high school and an excellent 4.0 in college and made the Dean's List every single year of my college career. I also don't embrace 'gangsta rap' and wear decent normal clothing and speak fluent English as well. I have been called 'stuck-up', 'bourgie' and every other name I can think of by fellow blacks just because I didn't fit the 'black folks mentality' but I don't let it bother me because I want people of different races to know that all AAs don't have the same mentality and that there are millions of us who can achieve our goals and be what we want to be! Not all blacks are lazy and ghetto and living in the projects but sadly, not a lot of us are portrayed in the media.
I appreciate your enthusuism to show other races of people that we are not one big monolithic group. I used to be like you, however I have grown weary of telling people what should be common knowledge. I've grown to the point where I'm starting to not give a damn what other people think of black folks as a whole. Most people who have a minimal amount of common sense know that black folks are as diverse a group as any other.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Like I told someone else in another thread...every time I see the abbreviation "AA" I think of Alcoholics Anonymous. Sorry, folks but they've been using the abbreviation a WHOLE lot longer. Liz

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Like I told someone else in another thread...every time I see the abbreviation "AA" I think of Alcoholics Anonymous. Sorry, folks but they've been using the abbreviation a WHOLE lot longer. Liz
Yes we are all aware of what the true meaning of AA is but if some of the posters are like me, we are at work and I type in AA instead of the full word 'African American' because I'm trying to get my message posted before another load of work gets dumped on my desk...

Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I appreciate your enthusuism to show other races of people that we are not one big monolithic group. I used to be like you, however I have grown weary of telling people what should be common knowledge. I've grown to the point where I'm starting to not give a damn what other people think of black folks as a whole. Most people who have a minimal amount of common sense know that black folks are as diverse a group as any other.
I agree with you about speaking on the positives of our people to other races but I just felt like it needed to be said yet again. I don't usually post much on these boards because most times, I don't really have time to do it at work and when I get home, I don't have the enthusiasm to visit the website again (LOL). So with that, I'm done with this message board! Take care everyone!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:37 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,187,103 times
Quote:
Yes we are all aware of what the true meaning of AA is but if some of the posters are like me, we are at work and I type in AA instead of the full word 'African American' because I'm trying to get my message posted before another load of work gets dumped on my desk
Maybe a macro that types the whole word for you in a couple of key strokes. Not sure how to do that but I know it could be done. It's just every time I see AA, I have to stop and think...no this is NOT Al-Anon, this is NOT Al-Anon. My brain has trouble wrapping around it...I'm getting there but you see my problem? And it is mine, I'll admit. Liz

Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Maybe a macro that types the whole word for you in a couple of key strokes. Not sure how to do that but I know it could be done. It's just every time I see AA, I have to stop and think...no this is NOT Al-Anon, this is NOT Al-Anon. My brain has trouble wrapping around it...I'm getting there but you see my problem? And it is mine, I'll admit. Liz
Yes I see what you're saying and believe me, it's not a big deal...and I think maybe you're the only one who's having trouble with it because I haven't heard anyone else say anything about it. Wow, I think we're getting off the track of the original discussion here (LOL). Anyway, you're right, I see YOUR problem with it...just try skipping over the letters and wrap your mind around the fact that it is not associated with alcoholics or non-alcoholics on this particular board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.