Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Probably transplants.
Yea must be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
No heat wave today in Orlando, nobody dying from heat here. Guess those arguments about Florida's oppressive heat are a little bit of exaggeration propaganda, as I've always found it to be more unbearable during summer in places like Chicago, NYC, and central Texas. Winter in all those places are terrible for me compared to our 70 degree average in Dec & Jan, so I guess Florida's weather really does feel like paradise lol.
uh..no. at least to me, FLA in the summer (and yes, I've spent summers there) is unbearable. what we're experiencing today is all summer long for you guys. currently you guys are about 6 degrees cooler with the same dewpoint.

that's like me saying my winter is the same as yours when you get a few 35 degree days in january.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM

611 posts, read 1,600,460 times
Whats the big deal of people complaining about the heat? Last I checked, this is a public forum open for discussion whether it be a rant, rave, opinion, fact, whatever. I dont get why its been turned into some kind of northerner vs southerner thing.
The media does the exact same thing here in southern california when a light rain shower hits the ground.
"Winter storm threat 2011! Omg"

Old 07-22-2011, 12:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Whats the big deal of people complaining about the heat? Last I checked, this is a public forum open for discussion whether it be a rant, rave, opinion, fact, whatever. I dont get why its been turned into some kind of northerner vs southerner thing.
because everything is.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times
Currently 102 degrees in the Bronx, but feels like 106.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
uh..no. at least to me, FLA in the summer (and yes, I've spent summers there) is unbearable. what we're experiencing today is all summer long for you guys. currently you guys are about 6 degrees cooler with the same dewpoint.

that's like me saying my winter is the same as yours when you get a few 35 degree days in january.
I get your point about comparing winters, but I think you're a little off base about the summer comparisons. I wasn't saying our summers mimic NJ's in duration or overall intensity, and you're right, it's hot as hell here for a long time. What I am saying however, is that we usually avoid the intense spikes in heat that the rest of the midwest and eastern seaboard gets during the summer months. Plus we have more time to get used to it, and of course the dreaded humidity actually keeps people from dehydrating by sweat cooling you down and reminding you to replace lost fluids. We also can count on rain virtually everyday around 3 or 4, so that cools us off in the evening faster than you guys during the summer. So I guess you could say that Fl's avg peak summer day heat doesn't last as long as NJ's. Again, I do get what you are saying, but we are so well equipped to deal with the heat (indoor and out), that we don't have the heat advisories and significant deaths that the northern states do during summer.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:17 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,737,655 times
Quote:
Do you go on websites complaining about the heat? Do you feel the need to make more out of it than summer heat?

Complaining to a friend in passing, or being naturally uncomfortable with it, as opposed to labeling it "heat wave", having news reports, and complaining on-line are two different things.
Yes, I complain about the heat on here all the time. Probably a lot more than I should, I admit. But when it's too hot to leave the house except at night, and its like that for a good half of the year, one finds it hard not to complain. It's absolutely, utterly miserable to me, and I can certainly understand people who don't normally experience this kind of heat complaining. On the other hand, at least they can take comfort knowing it will probably cool off a bit before long, whereas here it will be miserable until late October.

And I can understand the news reports harping on and on, because that's what they do. A heat index in New Jersey of 113+F is pretty unusual, isn't it? There are news reports when the south gets snow that is routine for the north, and there are news reports when the north gets heat that is routine for some parts of the south. Both situations are unusual for the particular region, so it's no wonder the news covers it a lot when it happens. And it's no wonder a lot of people complain about it, either. Go on the Seattle forum and everyone's complaining about how cool and wet their summer has been. Personally, I'd love to have a summer like that right now, but I suppose if you've spent a long, cloudy, wet winter waiting for what is traditionally an incredibly beautiful summer, and it doesn't come, then I can understand how one might complain about that, too.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:31 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yes, I complain about the heat on here all the time. Probably a lot more than I should, I admit. But when it's too hot to leave the house except at night, and its like that for a good half of the year, one finds it hard not to complain. It's absolutely, utterly miserable to me, and I can certainly understand people who don't normally experience this kind of heat complaining. On the other hand, at least they can take comfort knowing it will probably cool off a bit before long, whereas here it will be miserable until late October.

And I can understand the news reports harping on and on, because that's what they do. A heat index in New Jersey of 113+F is pretty unusual, isn't it? There are news reports when the south gets snow that is routine for the north, and there are news reports when the north gets heat that is routine for some parts of the south. Both situations are unusual for the particular region, so it's no wonder the news covers it a lot when it happens. And it's no wonder a lot of people complain about it, either. Go on the Seattle forum and everyone's complaining about how cool and wet their summer has been. Personally, I'd love to have a summer like that right now, but I suppose if you've spent a long, cloudy, wet winter waiting for what is traditionally an incredibly beautiful summer, and it doesn't come, then I can understand how one might complain about that, too.
It sounds to me like you're making excuses for not getting outside and enjoying the outdoors. Sure, it's hot. Dress appropriately for it, wearing light colored clothing, t-shirts and shorts, put on sun-screen, wear a hat, and don't forget to drink plenty of water. By the way, after about twenty minutes, your body become acclimated to it, and it's not so bad.

Temperatures in the 90s are not unusual for the northeastern seaboard. It happens some days every year. The same can be said for much of the middle of the country, up to around Nebraska and over to Chicago. There's no reason that news reporters should be reporting on this "extreme" heat beyond the weather forecast.

You can't make a comparison to southern snow because the lack of equipment to deal with the weather does indeed prevent people in the south from going on about their daily lives, as in being trapped in their houses and bringing the city to a halt. I don't think that this heat wave is bringing New York City to a grinding halt. Thus, it's not as newsworthy as a winter storm that does such to a region unable to deal with it.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:40 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,709,573 times
I hope y'all burn up in the Nawth, only 89 in Atlanta. Do not wish for any harm to people, but don't ever say it does not get hot there........................

Last edited by brent6969; 07-22-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Do you go on websites complaining about the heat? Do you feel the need to make more out of it than summer heat?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ve-2011-a.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...on-warmer.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...te-august.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/missi...-numerous.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ying-heat.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...mer-style.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...y-houston.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...hink-heat.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...days-over.html

. . . etc.

Apparently some folks do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.