Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM

107 posts, read 201,903 times

Advertisements

I can't wait for the fall to arrive. I will take the cold any day over this disgusting hot, humid weather that we in NJ are having. It was 103 where I live yesterday and with the humidity it felt like 117!! Can you imagine? I am normally a cold weather lover but after this summer I will be one even more. Try to stay cool everyone. Remember water,water,water. That is the best thing to drink when the weather is like this. I look forward even more this year to see those beautiful fall colors in the trees-it's coming God Willing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
As long as I'm in the house, I'm great and I don't set my thermostat low, just on 79. I'm sure it's not as hot in Houston (I'm guessing that's where you live) even though you guys usually have higher humidity. It's just plain hot for way too long and when the nights often don't drop below 80, ugh! I must say though that about 9:00 last night, I went outside and it was still in the 90s, but there's something about the dark that makes it bearable. Of course, the wind was blowing nicely and it actually felt good, quite nice but I was only sitting, not doing yard work.
It has been drier than normal here with the occasional downpour of rain. While the actual temp here is high the heat indexes have been below normal. Our nights have beenlower than 80 this week, but not that much lower

Old 07-23-2011, 08:06 PM

159 posts, read 317,108 times
I think something like 23 people died in Philly alone on Thursday due to the heat? Being in any urban setting makes the heat feel a lot worse due to the asphalt, and the air quality in Philly at least has been awful. And I live on the third floor of a rowhome with no air conditioning(....we're a congregation of poor students and starving artists that thought cheap utilities would be worth sweating for. It's not.). It is on average about 10 degrees warmer in my room than it is outside. Luckily between work, class, and friend's apartments and dorms, I don't have to hang around too much.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:15 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivers-in-reverse View Post
I think something like 23 people died in Philly alone on Thursday due to the heat? Being in any urban setting makes the heat feel a lot worse due to the asphalt, and the air quality in Philly at least has been awful. And I live on the third floor of a rowhome with no air conditioning(....we're a congregation of poor students and starving artists that thought cheap utilities would be worth sweating for. It's not.). It is on average about 10 degrees warmer in my room than it is outside. Luckily between work, class, and friend's apartments and dorms, I don't have to hang around too much.
I bought an air conditioner last summer, when we were flirting with 100 degree temperatures for a day or two. One of the best investments I made that year. You can get a good, reliable unit for around $130 at your neighborhood hardware store.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:14 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
On July 16th we reached the highest temp of the year. It was a hot 107 degrees. At least the humidity is low. We have had 23 days of 100 degrees temps so far and there's no end in sight. That makes it the 5th on record.
Dallas has actually had more triple digits days than that, but 23 consecutively. South of you, we've had a total of 42 triple and 81 over 90 degrees.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
You may not suspect it but we do get those heatwaves way up here in Quebec Canada, thursday was 45 C / humidex, not sure how that works out in US degrees but surely above 100 F.

I like those despite the fact that I am more of a cold weather kind of person, its like a taste of the tropics...of course it doesnt last for very long at those higher latitudes and by the time I get tired of it autumn rolls along.
I had to look that one up and yes, it's above 100. The site said a humidex over 45 was dangerous. When this kind of heat doesn't last long, it's bearable, but here in Texas, it doesn't end for so many months. Horrible. We're literally frying here with no rain. Animals and crops are dying ... so sad!! The news had a deal on the TV the other night that a steak actually was cooked on the dashboard of a car in Dallas. It took two hours, but it was cooked. Ugh!! I so can't wait until November!!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It has been drier than normal here with the occasional downpour of rain. While the actual temp here is high the heat indexes have been below normal. Our nights have beenlower than 80 this week, but not that much lower
That doesn't sound too bad and that's good.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:59 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I get your point about comparing winters, but I think you're a little off base about the summer comparisons. I wasn't saying our summers mimic NJ's in duration or overall intensity, and you're right, it's hot as hell here for a long time. What I am saying however, is that we usually avoid the intense spikes in heat that the rest of the midwest and eastern seaboard gets during the summer months. Plus we have more time to get used to it, and of course the dreaded humidity actually keeps people from dehydrating by sweat cooling you down and reminding you to replace lost fluids. We also can count on rain virtually everyday around 3 or 4, so that cools us off in the evening faster than you guys during the summer. So I guess you could say that Fl's avg peak summer day heat doesn't last as long as NJ's. Again, I do get what you are saying, but we are so well equipped to deal with the heat (indoor and out), that we don't have the heat advisories and significant deaths that the northern states do during summer.
Pretty much. Florida was built to deal with Heat. With all the Canals, Lakes, Beaches, The Everglades, Summer Sun-Showers, Florida is about 75% Water.lol. The Northern USA is basically a Giant Human Oven with all that BRICK. Urban Heat Island Effect.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Bring on the triple digits...makes jumping in the lakes, pools, & local watering holes that much more glorious.

Last Friday afternoon I biked the Town Lake Hike & Bike Trail here in Austin, and at the end of my 10-mile ride I jumped into the 68F spring-fed Barton Springs Pool, spandex and all. I don't know if I've ever felt so refreshed in my life!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'd agree with you. I can't wait to make my escape from Texas in a few years. I really never should have moved here in the first place.
Much better here in Boston, no higher than 80 today , although in fairness we only had about a 4-5 day heat wave ( although quite humid)..

I'm sorry that you'll have to put up with several more years of 90-100-degree heat; hopefully, you can find some way of shortening the duration..

Addendum: as of 2:15 this afternoon, it's only 73 here, and it feels great...

Last edited by MassVt; 07-25-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.