Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better set of cities?
I-5 cities (Seattle, Portland, SFC/Oakland, LA, SD 70 27.67%
I-95 cities (Boston, NYC, Philly, Bmore, DC, Miami) 183 72.33%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Even though it doesn't hit as many major cities, I think US-101 is the best highway to get the full splendor of the West Coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
...As US 1 is the best highway to experience the full splendor of the East Coast (Ft. Kent, ME to Key West, FL). And it goes right thru the heart of the major cities, too!
That's the funny thing about U.S. 1 -- we think of it as the East Coast highway, but it actually isn't, entirely. If one were to drive on the U.S. highway that is closest to the Atlantic Ocean from Maine to Florida, here's what they would do:

U.S. 1 from Maine down through New York
U.S. 9 through New Jersey into Delaware
U.S. 113 through Delaware into Maryland
U.S. 13 from Maryland through most of Virginia
U.S. 17 from Virginia through the Carolinas and Georgia to Jacksonville, Florida
U.S. 1 down the rest of Florida

So really, U.S. 1 is not the "East Coast" U.S. highway for the whole mid-section of the Eastern Seaboard, from New York down to Jacksonville. Why they didn't number the coastal highway as U.S. 1 all the way down, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 08:42 PM

295 posts, read 355,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post
Which team is better?

I-5: Seattle, Portland, San Francisco/Oakland (I know they aren't connected perfectly by I5), LA, San Diego

vs.

I-95: Boston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Miami

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use any criteria you like:

Quality of life, weather, cost of living, education, attractiveness of the population, natural beauty, culture, which group of cities you'd rather live in, jobs, economy, trendsetters, etc.
I-95 due to the sheer volume of cities.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:47 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
I-95. A lot more cities and variety of scenery.
I-95 better for multitude of Cities of course. 1/3 of the entire United States population lives within stones throw of I-95.

I-5 Better for natural scenery.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:33 PM

218 posts, read 156,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
That post is almost 8 years old and I can’t for the life of me figure out why I said Santa Clara. I know it doesn’t go through the Bay Area, the very next sentence in there talks about how it’s 60 miles inland from downtown SF. The point I was trying to make is that the Central Valley stretch (Redding to Bakersfield) is soul crushing boring. But yeah.., Santa Clara is not accurate.
I realize this is the thread that never dies, now ten years on. But I happened across it and wanted to tell you not to beat yourself up over saying Santa Clara way back in 2011. You were no doubt thinking of Santa Clarita, CA, which is definitely on I-5 and sits right at the base of the L.A. side of the Grapevine. I have never heard a Californian confuse Santa Clarita and Santa Clara, but for someone from out of state it is certainly understandable how it could happen.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:41 PM

218 posts, read 156,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityObservor View Post
Actually, I’d say I-95 is more of a mother road than I-5. The SF Bay Area is far and away the second largest CSA on the West Coast and I-5 doesn’t go through it or anywhere near it. In fact, it’s about 30-40 miles from the closest Bay Area exurbs and about 70 miles from SF/Oakland. So people from the Bay Area are not using I-5 regularly at all.

I-95 goes through or within 10-20 miles of virtually every major city on the East Coast.
The bolded is untrue. People from the Bay Area use I-5 all the time. True, you have to drive a bit to get to I-5, but for people who need the fastest way to get to Southern California, parts of the Central Valley, far northern California, Oregon, Washington, Las Vegas, and quite a few other places, it's I-5 for at least part of the way and often for most of the way. A lot of those cars out there on I-5 belong to Bay Area people.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:00 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
I-95. Love I-5 though.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:39 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
I realize this is the thread that never dies, now ten years on. But I happened across it and wanted to tell you not to beat yourself up over saying Santa Clara way back in 2011. You were no doubt thinking of Santa Clarita, CA, which is definitely on I-5 and sits right at the base of the L.A. side of the Grapevine. I have never heard a Californian confuse Santa Clarita and Santa Clara, but for someone from out of state it is certainly understandable how it could happen.
Haha thank you - I haven’t slept since 2011 because of this.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,793 times
The East Coast is just so much more built up than the West Coast that it could literally have two separate I-95's and each one would still win out over I-5 for me.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:21 AM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMale29 View Post
I’ve driven all over the I-5 from San Diego to Vancouver, Canada. Seattle is 100x bigger than Portland.
This is incorrect, but I could see why passing through these cities on I-5 would lead someone to believe this. Metro Seattle is much longer than it is wide and metro Portland is wider than it is long. You hit middle of nowhere much, much quicker in the North/South direction from Portland than from Seattle.

Old 02-10-2022, 02:57 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Route 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.