Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM

25 posts, read 32,625 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster...please go easy on me! My family and I have lived in Atlanta for ten years and we are looking to get out (reasons: heat, doesn't seem to be progressing like we'd hoped, landlocked, too many strip malls and not enough walkability, public schools aren't great...)
Anyway, looking for a new start with two kids (10 and 8). Both myself and DH are self employed and can move anywhere. Here's a short list of what we're looking for:

1. Real feeling of community - walkability (to shops, restaurants, coffee...), sidewalks, friendly neighbors (great trick or treating!)
2. Good public schools - the whole Atlanta public school debacle has given us a lot of stress
3. Progressive minded - not too religious on any front, looking for accepting communities of creative people, writers, professors, entrepreneurs...
4. Proximity to a major city - happy to be out in a 'village' somewhere but it has to be less than 30 minutes by public transportation to a major city.
5. Water - would be nice...maybe less than an hour from some large body of H2O.
6. Open to all seasons but no killer winters. Which means Chicago is out.

Does this exist? Thank you for your thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythomas View Post
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker, first time poster...please go easy on me! My family and I have lived in Atlanta for ten years and we are looking to get out (reasons: heat, doesn't seem to be progressing like we'd hoped, landlocked, too many strip malls and not enough walkability, public schools aren't great...)
Anyway, looking for a new start with two kids (10 and 8). Both myself and DH are self employed and can move anywhere. Here's a short list of what we're looking for:

1. Real feeling of community - walkability (to shops, restaurants, coffee...), sidewalks, friendly neighbors (great trick or treating!)
2. Good public schools - the whole Atlanta public school debacle has given us a lot of stress
3. Progressive minded - not too religious on any front, looking for accepting communities of creative people, writers, professors, entrepreneurs...
4. Proximity to a major city - happy to be out in a 'village' somewhere but it has to be less than 30 minutes by public transportation to a major city.
5. Water - would be nice...maybe less than an hour from some large body of H2O.
6. Open to all seasons but no killer winters. Which means Chicago is out.

Does this exist? Thank you for your thoughts!!
Do you have a budget in terms of housing? What is considered to be a killer winter to you or what is the limit in that regard? From what it sounds like, a college town not too far from a major or bigger city would work.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM

Housing budget can range anywhere from 400-700K so we can cast a wide net. Killer winter is Boston or worse! College towns could be good as long as they are near big cities. Would love thoughts on Philly, Maryland or anyplace out West (I love California but I know the cost is outrageous) but again, if we could find the right community, we'd go anywhere. Anyone out there absolutely LOVE where they live for the reasons listed above? Great schools, great neighbors, great vibe, great coffee? Life's too short to settle for mediocrity and I feel that's what we've done in Atlanta.
Sorry, Atlanta posters, pls don't hate me

Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
This is a tiny town I stumbled across on vacation: Havre de Grace MD. It might be 30 - 40 minutes to Baltimore.

I have no idea about the politics or schools but the town defines the word quaint and it is right on the water.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Indianapolis has the nations most affordable housing market and lowest cost of living of any major US city. Its the fastest growing region in the midwest and home to a very vibrant and walkable downtown. Indianapolis also has a decent nightlife scene. the nightlife areas are Downtown and Broad Ripple Village.
If you want nature there are several options in Indianapolis. There is eagle creek park and trails with a massive lake to fish and boat on.
Also an hour south there is the Hoosier national forest and Brown County, Indiana. This area is filled with wonderful nature has lakes and caves and rivers cutting through a huge forest.

Indianapolis is also a very safe city and the Suburb of Fishers was ranked as the safest city in America. Rent rates in Indianapolis depend on where your at and how much you get. generally speaking the safer areas will have a slightly higher cost. Always best to do your research and check the Marion County crime map to see if crime is in the area and what kind.

Indy's culture is very kind and generous and open minded. People are down to earth and liberal socially and fiscally conservative. Indy also does have a gay scene although its not as pronounced as the gay scene in California.

Indy also has the benefit of having all the events and venues concentrated downtown so everything is within walking distance. There might be a comic convention in Indianapolis every year. Upcoming Events | ICC & LOS
is a good place to check or you can ask people on the Indianapolis forum.

for your live music needs Indy has one of the top 100 amphitheaters's in the world.
For your art needs there is the Indianapolis Museum of art and there is a local art culture too.
Indy also has top rated schools with veterinary degrees. IUPUI is one of them. Also Butler University might offer degrees in Veterinary medicine too.

If you like new resturants then you should know Downtown Indianapolis has over 200 unique resturants to try out. some new ones include the Indianapolis Colts Grille and Harry and Izzy's.
Taxes also are low in Indianapolis too so you will have a higher disposable income compared to other cities and the Pacific northwest.

Indianapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also i should mention Winters are alot better than Chicago. Chicago has to deal with lake effect snow from Lake Michigan. Indy doesnt. hence why the average snowfall for Indy is 2 feet per winter compared to over 8-9 feet for Chicago or even more.

The best schools in the state of Indiana and some of the top in the nation are Indianapolis's suburbs. Carmel and Fishers are the most affluent communities in the midwest and they have the best schools in the state. Although any of the Suburban schools will be fine for you. just be careful with Indianapolis Public Schools in Center Township.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Also i should mention Winters are alot better than Chicago. Chicago has to deal with lake effect snow from Lake Michigan. Indy doesnt. hence why the average snowfall for Indy is 2 feet per winter compared to over 8-9 feet for Chicago or even more.
Before moving out of state, I lived in the Chicago area all my life. I can assure you that Chicago does not average 8 to 9 feet of snow per winter. The average is 38" which is a little over 3 feet.

You can check this for yourself from the official weather records at Noah.

Chicagos Snowfall Statistics

Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 PM

Thanks. Not sure about Indy...very landlocked and I think Chicago is more of the city-size we'd be looking for in terms of being within 30 minutes. Anyone have any thoughts on Philly? One city I've never even visited but something about it seems so charming!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
BTW when I said I don't know about HdG, that wasn't a derogatory remark - just that I don't have enough info.

Philly is a very attractive town with great public transit. perhaps the Philly thread can help with villages. New Hope PA is amazingly cute and is on a river.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Before moving out of state, I lived in the Chicago area all my life. I can assure you that Chicago does not average 8 to 9 feet of snow per winter. The average is 38" which is a little over 3 feet.

You can check this for yourself from the official weather records at Noah.

Chicagos Snowfall Statistics
its an average.
i know very well Lake effect snow can skew numbers.
right now where i live in South Bend oh boy you get a nice sustained band of Lake effect and say hello to 2 feet of snow in your yard. travel a couple of miles down the road and there barely is any snow.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlythomas View Post
Thanks. Not sure about Indy...very landlocked and I think Chicago is more of the city-size we'd be looking for in terms of being within 30 minutes. Anyone have any thoughts on Philly? One city I've never even visited but something about it seems so charming!
you should think more beyond landlocked.
just cause a city is landlock doesnt mean it doesnt offer alot of wonderful amendities. Which Indy does offer alot and its americas most affordable city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.