Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I have never seen anyone in KY wear a coonskin hat (at least not in this part of the state)
Boy that takes me back. I think I was in about the fifth grade when every boy in class had to have a coonskin hat. I think mohawk haircuts were around at that time also. Talk about weird!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Really now? That's funny... I was just out today and saw no one wearing Blue and white or even red and black (UofL).
We walked into a steak house while on vacation and I thought Halloween had come early. Found out there was going to be a Clemson vs. Tennessee game that day.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cprompt View Post
From a person from Connecticut, prep was once J.Crew-ish, Brooks Bros...etc? Now that's classic.
Though the state is more liberal, most people in Connecticut dress rather conservative - JCrew is very popular, as is Gap, North Face, LL Bean, Coach (for women) and Tommy Hilfiger. The high school kids feel like a "rebel" in the ripped, faded AF clothes here in CT, which is why it's so popular. It's what's cool (I personally hate it). People here don't dress "snobby" or "preppy", they simply dress conservatively.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:35 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Boy that takes me back. I think I was in about the fifth grade when every boy in class had to have a coonskin hat. I think mohawk haircuts were around at that time also. Talk about weird!
LOL!!! Oh my goodness!!!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
enough of this northern/southern, "yankee" ****. it's getting really old. who cares! we're all americans! get over it.

To be fair, I don't think there is a stereotypical "American." Certain things are definitely regional, manner of dress included. Southerners and Yankees (this is a commonly used word in certain geographic regions) both have specific traits that people associate with that culture. You don't see too many "Southern" men wearing tight black shirts and shiny black dress shoes when they go out to the bar. Not that there is anything wrong with that...we just think it looks goofy. We are more apt to wear a Polo shirt with jeans in that situation.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relichunter21 View Post
To be fair, I don't think there is a stereotypical "American." Certain things are definitely regional, manner of dress included. Southerners and Yankees (this is a commonly used word in certain geographic regions) both have specific traits that people associate with that culture. You don't see too many "Southern" men wearing tight black shirts and shiny black dress shoes when they go out to the bar. Not that there is anything wrong with that...we just think it looks goofy. We are more apt to wear a Polo shirt with jeans in that situation.
actually you can see any type of style in any large metro area in the country. It's not like if you go to a bar in Houston your only going to see cowboys. People from all over the US have been migrating to other parts of the US for decades now. You see the same styles everywhere in the US.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:09 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
teens and twenty year olds tend to dress the same across the country.
but there are still rural pockets where homogenization has taken hold.
But within the teens/twenties there are subgroups that have their own look. Skaters, Punks, Emos, Preps, Guidos, Wiggers, Urban et all

Rednecks dress the same all over the country, and every state has at a few. It seems to be a carry-over from the highschool dirt bag look.

With over 30 set their are still regional differences.

I still see big hair and too much make up in NJ/LI.

Have not been to the south recently to make any comment about that region.

In the middle midwest, Sleeveless t-shirts and sneakers with socks (the tourist-look) in the summer.
Most women appear pretty well dressed, although I do see a lot of women going ount in public in ratty sweats - usually in some pastel shade.
Men dress like Andy Sipowisc (short sleeve dress shirt and necktie) or in a corporate golf shirts and Khakis

In the upper midwest, Pacific Northwest, and New England the preppy /outdoorsy look is popular

Texas women wear mom jeans with big belts pulled too tight making their arses look huge. The cowboy look is big in the central west and Texas.

California seems to be the trend setter with cutting edge fashions influenced by lifestyle.

Last edited by DinsdalePirahna; 02-23-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
teens and twenty year olds tend to dress the same across the country.
but there are still rural pockets where homogenization has taken hold.
But within the teens/twenties there are subgroups that have their own look. Skaters, Punks, Emos, Preps, Guidos, Wiggers, Urban et all

Rednecks dress the same all over the country, and every state has at a few. It seems to be a carry-over from the highschool dirt bag look.

With over 30 set their are still regional differences.

I still see big hair and too much make up in NJ/LI.

Have not been to the south recently to make any comment about that region.

In the middle midwest, Sleeveless t-shirts and sneakers with socks (the tourist-look) in the summer.
Most women appear pretty well dressed, although I do see a lot of women going ount in public in ratty sweats - usually in some pastel shade.
Men dress like Andy Sipowisc (short sleeve dress shirt and necktie) or in a corporate golf shirts and Khakis

In the upper midwest, Pacific Northwest, and New England the preppy /outdoorsy look is popular

Texas women wear mom jeans with big belts pulled too tight making their arses look huge. The cowboy look is big in the central west and Texas.

You need to be more specific because not all Texas women do that; it seems your talking more middle-aged and older white women.

California seems to be the trend setter with cutting edge fashions influenced by lifestyle.
^^^^^

Old 02-23-2010, 11:38 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Wait ... people actually wear coonskin hats? Like, aside from on Halloween? This is a serious question.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
I have never seen anyone in KY wear a coonskin hat (at least not in this part of the state)
i have, but only at fort boonesboro.

and this whole discussion has been idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.