Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:44 PM

33 posts, read 79,062 times

Advertisements

Chriscross- Thanks for the recommendation. I've been to Morgantown and I do think I'll consider it.. a lot like Athens just bigger and hillier.. and more recreation at hand. Especially if I decide I want to be closer to my family it might be a good option.. that's one of 2 problems about going out west (that and cost of living). Thanks for listing all that stuff though.. I knew there was cool stuff to do, I just haven't done any of it. And I didn't know about the art galleries and locally owned places downtown... I'll have to check it out sometime

Vamos-Ya I have considered Olympia.. I think when it gets to the northwest, cost of living will be the biggest determining factor.. so we'll see. Thanks

CKH-I hadn't heard of Oneonta.. just checked it out a little... looks interesting. A little small but that could be workable. I'll check it out some more. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 AM

93,388 posts, read 124,009,048 times
You may like this video of Ithaca, by the way:
Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

and some of Oneonta:
Oneonta New York First Impressions Drive Through - YouTube

Oneonta, New York - YouTube

Oneonta, New York-Life Enjoyed! - YouTube

Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM

So I've lately been thinking more about the northeast or possibly mid-atlantic.. I might want to stay closer to the parents. Besides Plattsburgh, Ithaca, or Oneonta NY, Burlington VT, Portland ME, Morgantown WV, Athens GA.... any other places I should consider? I'll check more into Chapel Hill/Durham and Charlottesville.... I'm really hoping for mountains/trees/water plus a university and cool downtown with at the very least a good coffee shop and good farmer's market.... thanks again guys!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Northampton, MA might be worth throwing into the mix, although it's more hilly than mountainous.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 PM

442 posts, read 540,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmochilera View Post
And yet another post about where to settle down...

Please help me with some ideas! I'm from a college town (Athens, OH) and so I can't imagine living in either a big city or in a town without a decent-sized college.. but I also don't really want to live in the midwest anymore (cold winters without mountains for snowboarding really sucks). I'm more drawn to the western states with lots of outdoor adventuring.... especially mountains and lakes (for hiking, snowboarding, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking, fishing, etc). Ideal population between 10-200,000 although probably between 30-80,000 sounds best. Would love a place with a diverse population (in terms of religion, ethnicity, politics, etc.). I'm really into the local food movement and am a foodie in general.. so many different types of restaurants and farmer's markets are a big plus (has to have some decent non-chain coffee shops that stay open in the evenings!). I don't know what my future career will be but I do know that I won't make a lot of money.. maybe I'll become an academic adviser, guidance counselor, dietitian, teacher... or something in that realm. I'll probably earn $30-65,000 so I don't think that I'd be able to survive in a really expensive place. I'd love to have a good sense of community and be surrounded by friendly, open-minded, outdoorsy people. Also love artsy places with good culture. Relatively safe would be nice.. and a good place to raise a family. Sort of close to a major airport would be helpful.. so I can get back to Ohio occasionally. I'm undecided on weather.. I definitely like sunny days and milder temperatures (sunny and 65-70 is pretty perfect).. I currently live in Hawaii and am loving the lack of extreme hot/cold.. but I also love mountains and snowboarding.. so I'll leave that one open. I might not be my happiest if it is cloudy/rainy all day every day. Walkability/bikability/public transport wouldn't hurt.

Some of the places that have interested me so far are Flagstaff AZ, Boulder and Fort Collins CO, Missoula and Bozeman MT, Moscow ID, Pullman WA, Eugene and Corvallis OR, Salt Lake City UT, Burlington VT, Portland ME... have also heard some good things about Fayetteville AR. I know there are some great college towns in the midwest and southeast (Madison WI and Athens GA for examples) but unless they have some INCREDIBLE outdoor options I'm probably not THAT interested (if the outdoor options are similar to my hometown there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to leave). Some of the towns/cities that I have mentioned are decently expensive, maybe a bit colder than I'd like, and somewhat lacking in terms of diversity.. which is why I'm looking for more ideas or more input on the current ones. In terms of outdoor options, Utah sounds like an amazing place.. but I'm pretty liberal and not religious.. any ideas for me? NM seems cool too.. maybe if Santa Fe had a bigger college I'd want to go there.. I haven't seriously looked anywhere in CA due to property costs.. so if there are any places that aren't too expensive that I should take a look at let me know. I know of some cool college areas in Canada but they mostly seem too cold.. am I wrong about that?

Brief Summary:
cool/unique college town
most drawn to western states
full of outdoor opportunities
good sense of community
good local food scene
open-minded, friendly people
diversity
lower cost of living or higher wages in the educational fields
30-80,000 people... or 10-200,000 if it's an awesome place
low-ish crime (especially violent crime)

Ideas?? Thanks for reading at least!!!!
Athens is one of the finest towns I've even been to... Also, they have mountains.

Just move to Athens.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:00 PM

thanks i'll check into northampton ma. when you say athens is that georgia??

Old 01-16-2012, 12:09 AM

durham looks big, chapel hill might work. about charlottesville... i have a friend going to grad school there (undergrad Ohio U) and she's not too impressed. says there aren't any good coffee shops (might seem pathetic, but that's a biggie for me!!!).. is she missing some cool stuff?

Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
I also grew up in a college town, and I've lived in and visited several as an adult (mostly in the Midwest and South). Aside from my hometown (I'm heavily biased), I can't think of any college town I like more than Athens, Ohio. I know you're from there and may not want to go back, though, but that is my top pick.

Athens, GA is nice, but conservative, religious, and brutally hot and humid in the summer. Asheville, NC is a surprisingly progressive Southern college town in the Appalachian Mountains -- I'm a big fan of it. Chapel Hill is livable, but the weather is miserable (brutally hot/humid). I've heard good things about Ithaca, but I've never been there.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 AM

Athens Ohio... yep it's not a bad place... but you're right, I don't want to live there for the rest of my life. Asheville... I love the place but I didn't see any universities there (what I mean by that is 4-year, lots of majors type of place).. did I miss something? Didn't know Athens GA was conservative and religious... that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of the northeast.. just think I'd fit in better there. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Asheville has UNC-Asheville and Montreat College, both small but fairly decent colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.