Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Ponderay, Idaho is at the north end of Lake Pend Oreille, and 23 miles east of Pend Oreille County, Washington.

Ponderay and Pend Oreille are pronounced the same.

Ditto for the word Kootenai/Kootenay, pronounced the same (koot-nee), Kootenai is a county in North Idaho, and Kootenay is the namesake of a region of Southeastern British Columbia (and numerous other things).

Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Verhoyansk, Russia . . . .

This is the US forum. There is one just like it in the World Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Ponderay, Idaho is at the north end of Lake Pend Oreille, and 23 miles east of Pend Oreille County, Washington.

Ponderay and Pend Oreille are pronounced the same.

Ditto for the word Kootenai/Kootenay, pronounced the same (koot-nee), Kootenai is a county in North Idaho, and Kootenay is the namesake of a region of Southeastern British Columbia (and numerous other things).
Good one. There is another one in Wisconsin, where the town of Couderay is on the Lac Courte Orielles Indian Reservation.

Soo Township in Chippewa County Michigan is adjacent to the city of Sault Ste. Marie.

The reverse would be the case in Orleans Parish, Louisiana, which is never pronounced the same as the Orleans part of the coterminous New Orleans.l

Similarly, the Arkansas River, where it flows through Kansas, is pronounced ar-KAN-zus. So standing at the state line, you could see "both" rivers.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-23-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Jtur, you might know this better than me, but I have always wondered what the relationship between Nacogdoches, TX and Natchitoches, LA was. Same word, different spelling? Different pronunciations as well. They are not very far apart. I have been told the LA town is pronounced something like Knack-a-dish whereas the Texas city is more like Knack-a-doe-chuss.

I have noticed that some of the Indian names that I recognized from Georgia were repeated in the Indian Territory, but with slightly different spellings: Muscogee County (Columbus) GA become the city of Muskogee in OK, same with the Ocmulgee River in Georgia and the city of Okmulgee, OK.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Jtur, you might know this better than me, but I have always wondered what the relationship between Nacogdoches, TX and Natchitoches, LA was. Same word, different spelling? Different pronunciations as well. They are not very far apart. I have been told the LA town is pronounced something like Knack-a-dish whereas the Texas city is more like Knack-a-doe-chuss.

I have noticed that some of the Indian names that I recognized from Georgia were repeated in the Indian Territory, but with slightly different spellings: Muscogee County (Columbus) GA become the city of Muskogee in OK, same with the Ocmulgee River in Georgia and the city of Okmulgee, OK.
I believe, but I'm not sure, that both were named after the same Indian tribe, but the one in Louisiana named by French settlers, and the one in Texas by Spanish settles, both of whom spelled it the way it sounded to hem. The divergence in their pronunciations probably arose from the laziness of the local people over the years, without being aware of what each other were calling their towns. Much like Lafayettes are pronounced differently all over the country.

As for Muskogee, don't forget that Oklahoma was settled by Cherokees and other tribes who were forcibly marched out of Georgia by that bastard Andrew Jackson so his friends could have all the gold mines, and took their names and languages with them.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,564,959 times
The border between Canada and the U.S. is the world's longest national border, stretching some 3,987 miles.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Merrimac, Mass. And Merrimack NH are both named after the Merrimack River.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
The border between Canada and the U.S. is the world's longest national border, stretching some 3,987 miles.
Partly true, but with an asterisk. The figure above (which is 6,418 km) does not count Alaska, so is the second longest continuous border.

The longest uninterrupted border between two countries is Russia/Kazakhstan, 6,846 km.
USA-Canada, 6,418 km uninterrupted, but the total, with Alaska border added, is 8,893 km.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
I love upside down maps.

Really shows you how big Canada and Russia are

Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Don't have an oddity, just wanted to wish all the regulars on this thread a very Merry Christmas. One of my favorite places to visit on City Data. As I count my blessings this Christmas, one of them is finding a group of map nerds as geeky (or even geekier than me) about geography. Have a blessed day y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.