Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 08:12 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times

Advertisements

I guess it is a matter of preference.

In my family, I've been to Europe multiple times, central America, Australia, Canada, Mexico, studied in Italy, Australia, and had a trip planned to South America last fall but that fell through unfortunately and I still want to do 2 weeks in Japan.

I love visiting new places and trying to get a sense of their language and culture.

My siblings, on the other hand, have never left the country except for a day trip across the border into Vancouver and they have no desire to explore other countries.

I'm the worldly one.

So, I take vacations with them inside the United States so I do both. Even though I told them we will get a villa in Italy one day and all take an extended family vacation!

We are from the same family/upbringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 08:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I guess it is a matter of preference.

In my family, I've been to Europe multiple times, central America, Australia, Canada, Mexico studied in Italy, Australia, and had a trip planned to South America last fall but that fell through unfortunately and I still want to do 2 weeks in Japan.

I love visiting new places and trying to get a sense of their language and culture.

My siblings, on the other hand, have never left the country except for a day trip across the border into Vancouver and they have no desire to explore other countries.

I'm the worldly one.

So, I take vacations with them inside the United States so I do both. Even though I told them we will get a villa in Italy one day and all take an extended family vacation!

We are from the same family/upbringing.
You will love Japan! Book it! Be sure to do Tokyo and Kyoto even though they are filled with tourists. I would love to go to South America one day.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:58 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Are there stats to show how much (or not much) Americans travel overseas? I did a quick Google search and the consensus is that more Americans travel to Europe versus the other way around.

I also view it anecdotally. If people around you don't travel (for whatever reasons), then you probably think most people don't travel. I live in NYC and everyone I know (socially or professionally) has travelled to Europe and even Asia (for pleasure) on multiple occasions.

Also, the tourism economy in Europe relies on American visitors, since there are a lot of us and we tend to have deeper pockets.

Lastly, from a common sense perspective, Europe functions differently in terms of connectivity within, and to other parts of the world. America has 2 large oceans on each coast... The Caribbean is nearby though, which is a great travel option.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:06 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Are there any stats to show much (or not much) Americans travel overseas? I did a quick Google search and the consensus is that more Americans travel to Europe versus the other way around...

I also view it anecdotally. If people around you don't travel (for whatever reasons), then you probably think most people don't travel. I live in NYC and can't think of a single person (socially or professionally) that has not travelled to Europe or even Asia (for pleasure) on multiple occasions.

Also, the tourism economy in Europe relies on American visitors, since there are a lot of us and we tend to have deeper pockets.
yeah, I agree.

Also... most people I meet have been out of the country. a good portion to Europe. What I think a lot of Europeans fail to realize is that their trip from London to Paris, then off to Ibiza and back is valued way more than a typical American vacation from New York or Boston to Miami and Orlando :/// Sure you are visiting 3 countries the size of our states, but I literally went further than you. Thats the clapback they don't get, but started getting as GenZ realllllly doesn't put up with this bs anymore lol.

I'm a TikTok creator and made a video on this and received positive feedback when I had Kamala Harris style explain how big the US was. A lot didn't know Texas, alone, was bigger than the UK.....

A lot of Central Europeans come to New York and think they can just casually go see Disney World and the Grand Canyon on a 7 day trip to New York. lol

Old 01-18-2024, 03:44 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
Check out the comments by Eva Zu Beck starting at

Old 01-20-2024, 12:45 PM

509 posts, read 432,607 times
I'm currently in Romania after an 11 day solo visit to Bucharest and Transylvania in the off season. Crazy affordable here, flight was $500 out of Richmond, 4 and 5 star hotels (nicest accommodations I've ever had) go for about $100 - 125 a night (and 50 for 3 star hotels), better meals dining out than what I can find anywhere in Richmond for less than 15 dollars, beer is 2 - 4 dollars, train ticket from SighiÅŸoara to Sibiu (about 60 miles) was $5.50. I ended up spending the same amount in 11 days in Romania including flight than a trip to Miami last October for 4 days. Saw about 4 other Americans while here which I got to say was a bit of fresh air and its been a very peaceful getaway from the grind back home (I like to go far away where it's difficult to get to me and turn email off).

I'm super fortunate that I have worked with a state government agency for 12 years now so get 23 paid vacation days and 14 paid holidays off per year. I also don't have kids or a spouse and save money by either walking to work or catching the bus which is free and takes 7 minutes. Last year did 25 days in Japan and it was amazing. Again, I spent less while over there than trips in the US per day since accommodations (and yes totally hit up some capsule hotels lol), food, and travel is all cheaper there than the US on average which has become incredibly expensive with inflation to travel around.

I still do travel around the US quite a bit and did Miami, DC, and Las Vegas last year and purchased a ticket to go to Wisconsin in May and plan to take the train to Rhode Island as well in the Summer. It's definitely abnormal for an American I feel to travel like I do, but I attribute it to landing a very fortunate job that pays well, not burdened with debts or covering child expenses, and having a passion for world travel ever since I lived with a host family in Paris in high school (and spent the Summer before working at a grocery store to save up enough money to travel to Switzerland, my first solo trip at age 16). I also speak German pretty well (majored in German in college as well as Geography) and my sister lives in Germany with her family so it's convenient to visit them. What's wild is my sister and I grew up very poor in a rent controlled home and raised by a single mom who worked as a cashier at a grocery store. She definitely had our best interests at heart and ensured we had opportunities to broaden our horizons and be successful in school and life.

Last edited by dbcook1; 01-20-2024 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-21-2024, 10:48 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
I had five weeks of PTO at my construction job until I left a few years ago. That went from three to four to five with longevity at the company. (We only got only 6-8 holidays though, depending where Christmas and New Year's fell, as the salaried staff only got what the union trades negotiated and they wanted to work more.)

That made it easy to take a couple weeks here and there. I never did more than that, but only because I prefer shorter trips. I probably traveled overseas 15 times in 24 years. Most included England because of family there (often with short jaunts on the European mainland), but I also did separate trips to Italy, Greece, Tokyo/HK, and Sydney.

Now it's a little harder because I consult and want to stick closer to home for clients. But some friends are moving to Italy so that plus England is probably this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.