Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
I'm extremely interested in geography and exploring other places in the rest of the world but I've never once been overseas. It really is ALL about money, money and a lack of time due to having to keep working to pay the bills. For me a road trip 4 states away is fairly "exotic" and a huge treat. I can speak for a lot of Americans in saying that in general we're quite glued down and rooted in place due to our economic situation. Anyone who assumes that the reason is something other than money is out of touch and really doesn't know many poor people.
The U.S. economy has been bad for only the last 4 years. What about before then?

I just don't see how most Americans are unable to save up enough money to travel overseas once every 5 years or so. It only takes a couple of thousand dollars, which should be nothing for most people to accumulate over several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiserneBerlin View Post
...Why are so many Americans not interested in overseas travel?
For us, up until 9/11, our restriction was time and finances. In the late 90s we were finally able to afford to take the time from our work, and had the funds, so we spent over two weeks exploring France. We loved it and vowed to go back to other European countries for longer periods of time.

After 9/11 and the ensuing reports of acts of violence against Americans, we've found it more attractive to explore our own country. We wish Americans would stop making war against, and exploiting other countries so the relations would be less tense, but until that day comes -- probably never, we will console ourselves that at least we had France.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM

196 posts, read 658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I travel overseas fairly frequently. I try to go to a place I've never been at least once a year. It's part of my lifestyle and interests, and I highly recommend it for anyone.

I really don't understand why more Americans don't travel overseas. Perhaps, its because of a lack of interest or imagination, or perhaps it's because they feel intimidated.

In any case, if you can afford to buy a car or a house, then you can afford traveling overseas. It's as simple as that. You just have to get out there and do it.
Very few people actually owned their houses. Have you watched the news the last 4 years. People LOANED their houses and cars. Americans' real wages have fallen consistently since 1973

Quote:
The U.S. economy has been bad for only the last 4 years. What about before then?

I just don't see how most Americans are unable to save up enough money to travel overseas once every 5 years or so. It only takes a couple of thousand dollars, which should be nothing for most people to accumulate over several years.
The economy was a FAKE economy based on credit. A credit economy allows you to live in a HUGE house that you can't afford and a huge car that you can't afford, but a bank isn't gonna loan you thousands of dollar specifically for travels.

Americans have spent the past 30 years working solely to pay of debts. That system collapsed in 2008, which is why what happened has happened. They never actually HAD THE MONEY.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Many times I've had a couple thousand dollars I could have spent on travelling, but it was about all I had and I usually wouldn't have it long due to dental work popping up, car problems, and a dozen other minor "emergencies" that take you by surprise. In fact, very rarely in the years since I've worked full time have I not had two or three thousand dollars in the bank, but that money needed to be maintained to pay for unexpected expenses. And I can't tell you how many times I would have been screwed without that money. On the (incredibly) rare occasions that I had a couple of thousand dollars to actually spend on something, the issue of time comes up again, and being restricted to one week of vacation at a time by employers. I never felt like a week was enough to travel to another country, except maybe Canada or Mexico. And the idea of getting home from a very long flight and an exhausting trip, then having to go right back to work for five straight days was never very appealing. Even after my last trip here in the U.S. I made sure I had two days to rest before I had to go back to work, and even that wasn't really enough. I guess not everyone requires that, but I do. I've enjoyed what little travelling I've done, but it's also exhausting.

That being said, I've known plenty of people who never had two thousand dollars to spend on a trip. Any extra money they might have (which was rare) had to be used to pay off debts they incurred when emergencies popped up and they didn't have that little extra in the bank like me. Seeing that happen to so many people was the very reason I always did my best to maintain that bank account, even when it meant not buying some things I needed but didn't absolutely have to have to get by (like replacing completely worn out shoes). I've always been fairly well-off compared to a lot of people I know, mostly because I have no children.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
For us, up until 9/11, our restriction was time and finances. In the late 90s we were finally able to afford to take the time from our work, and had the funds, so we spent over two weeks exploring France. We loved it and vowed to go back to other European countries for longer periods of time.

After 9/11 and the ensuing reports of acts of violence against Americans, we've found it more attractive to explore our own country. We wish Americans would stop making war against, and exploiting other countries so the relations would be less tense, but until that day comes -- probably never, we will console ourselves that at least we had France.
I'm not sure I get the issue you mention. Are you saying that violence against Americans overseas, as triggered because of 9/11 puts you off visiting Europe -- I don't see the logic ? Are the countries you planned to visit any of the ones that are "enemies" to the US -- they are presumably not European ones if anything, they would show sympathy/solidarity with the US after 9/11.

France and Germany are actually a lot more American-friendly (at least in terms of policy) than they used to be, and I can't think of examples when Americans would face violence by other "western" nations. Of course, it might be a different story and more understandable if you were visiting someone more dangerous/politically hostile such as a non-western country.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times
I wish I could travel everywhere in Europe. Its just too expensive from the US. IN Europe it is inexpensive to hop on a plane for an hour or two and be within distance of many countries.

That is why if I would go to Europe, I'd have to visit many countries in two weeks. There is no way most people could afford a $600 or $700 ticket each time to visit a different country. It takes 5 hours just to fly from NY to Los ANgeles. THe United States is enormous.

My husband is from England and it's just about the size of New Jersey.

Most Americans I know would love to travel overseas.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,354 times
As a young educated Liberal American I have been lucky enough to have been able to travel to 24 countries outside of Canada/US/Mexico. Not many of my friends can say the same thing. Travel to me is very important. I'm a hands-on learner so it helps me to understand a country's history and culture. I can read history books and watch documentaries all day but I need to go to a country, visit its historical sites, stroll through it's museums to really get a feel. For example, in Germany, I have been to Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Rhine valley, Dachau, so I feel like I have a good sense of the country and its history. There are still parts of Germany I hope to see one day, Frankfurt, Cologne, Dresden, Nuremberg, Stuttgart, etc.

When I tell my friends and family I'm traveling to such and such they are usually like, oh cool! You are so lucky! If I had money I'd join you. So I know my friends want to travel, it's just a matter of money. My friends that do travel are well to do or they have a trust fund. I have a very stable, flexible, good paying job (I make about 50-70K/year) but I live very cheaply day to day so that I can afford my trips. My car is 6 years old, I try to only go out to dinner 1-2x/week, don't buy expensive clothes, just started paying for cable after not having cable for 5 years, and stick to a budget. I figure when I'm older I may not be able to hike Macchu Pichu or put up with the stress of traveling to India or Africa. So I'd rather live pretty cheaply now and travel when I can, then when I'm older and well-traveled, I can afford nice things and just travel in the states. I hope I can travel abroad til I die but life's short!

There's also different sorts of people in America. I have family and friends who live abroad and have no intention of moving home. I also have friends and family who have never been outside of their city let alone state nor have traveled solo. It really just depends on the person. No two Americans are alike.

I wish that studying abroad/travel/volunteering abroad/peacecorps were a requirement for all US students like in Australia. I really think that it would improve America's morale and image across the world. America has a lot of really amazing great people and I feel like when I travel abroad they don't see the good of America, just the garbage on TV. I've met people who have been really cold to me just because I'm American and then later I find out they have NEVER been to America! I just think that's so hypocritical. They get all of their info of America on TV, which it's all just trash, that's why I gave up cable. Yes we can be naive, fat, greedy, and materialistic but we are incredibly smart, motivated, caring friendly hard workers.

I also think it's a lot easier to get 81 million Germans or 17 million Dutch or 9 million Swedes to think the same way than 300 million Americans. There is so much diversity among Americans and although we have our differences I think that's the beauty of America. While I don't agree with most republicans its amazing to hear their side of the story. I do respect what they have to say and I understand their stance on welfare, abortion, etc. I feel like America is pulled in each direction equally. Unfortunately the extreme republicans are the ones who get the stereotype of America not the crazy left wingers. haha!

Old 03-02-2013, 10:56 AM

92 posts, read 159,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Europeans don't really travel overseas either.
I literally don't know one person here that has not left the country and we're talking about one of the most isolated countries in Europe, here.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:03 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
We already have beaches, mountains, big cities, desert, party cities like Vegas and historic cities like Boston.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM

92 posts, read 159,403 times
I think the biggest factors are geographical location, size and cost. The US is more like a continent than a country, geographically speaking. Flights between the US and Europe are costly and are rising. It's easy to travel abroad if you are a European. If you are a mainland European you have the luxury of the ability to drive through many countries, if you wish. If you're a Scandinavian or a resident of the British Isles you have options such as trains, ferries (with your car)and cheap flights with budget airlines to get to your destination/s of choice on the continent. You can get a ferry from Europe to Africa in 30 minutes for under 20 euros. The proximity to the rest of the world and size of Europe makes traveling abroad easy for Europeans compared to the US and other nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.