Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 AM

468 posts, read 786,135 times

Advertisements

The cuisine of Italy differs greatly from region to region. The cooking of some regions is hard to find in the United States. For example, how many Italian American restaurants serve true Sicilian cuisine, with caponata (a sweet/sour eggplant appetizer) and pasta alla sarde (pasta with sardines) on the menu?

Sicilian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or Alto-Adige, with its strong Austrian influence?

Italian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

God bless,

CKB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
The cuisine of Italy differs greatly from region to region. The cooking of some regions is hard to find in the United States. For example, how many Italian American restaurants serve true Sicilian cuisine, with caponata (a sweet/sour eggplant appetizer) and pasta alla sarde (pasta with sardines) on the menu?

Or Alto-Adige, with its strong Austrian influence?
Ok, since we're here, I personally think that you will find regional Italian foods in (1) someone's home, if in the US, or (2) in that region of Italy. You will find authentic REGIONAL Italian food in a very savvy avant-garde Italian restaurant, and I'm not talking New California cuisine with an Italian twist (that's fake). A restauranteur runs the risk that the typical American may not accept the dish because it's not clearly identifiable as mainstream Italian.

Italy's gastronomic capital and region are reputedly Bologna and Emilia-Romagna, respectively.

The regional foods of Italy are outstanding. Sicilian seafood dishes might feature delicious recipes with swordfish, and arancine are among the tastiest "slam dunks" anywhere. The only thing I will not eat is anything with eggplant, so throw out Pasta alla Norma. I was once in Bolzano, which also speaks German, and was hunting around for lunch. I had a skillet with an awesome turkey breast, roasted potates and spinach that was outstanding. Polenta is also a tasty side dish, and can be topped with mushrooms or sauce.

How Italians (in Italy) are mostly of thin or average build is beyond me.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-27-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM

72 posts, read 154,284 times
I didn't even think there were Italians in the state of Iowa until I heard of this woman:

Dina Manfredini isn't just the oldest in her parish, she's among the oldest in the world at age 114

And she's been living there for many decades.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawarma View Post
I didn't even think there were Italians in the state of Iowa until I heard of this woman:

Dina Manfredini isn't just the oldest in her parish, she's among the oldest in the world at age 114

And she's been living there for many decades.
Oh, no, not another one on the list. That's right. South Des Moines, IA was once an Italian neighborhood.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
there's actually a decent amount in Memphis. A lot of the most well-known, wealthy families are of Italian-descent. We also have an Italian festival every June, it's one of the biggest events in the city.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM

468 posts, read 786,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
there's actually a decent amount in Memphis. A lot of the most well-known, wealthy families are of Italian-descent. We also have an Italian festival every June, it's one of the biggest events in the city.
That's right - the Grisantis come to mind right away. Also the Montesis.
The festival is at Holy Rosary Catholic Church.

God bless,

CKB

Old 03-28-2012, 03:08 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
That's right - the Grisantis come to mind right away. Also the Montesis.
The festival is at Holy Rosary Catholic Church.

God bless,

CKB
yea the Gristantis, Montesis, and Lucchesis are all well-known families. There are some other ones, but I cant think of them right now. I guess the Garbaldis are up there too because of the restaurant.

The area around Holy Rosary (East Memphis) has a lot of Italians. It's the Catholic/Jewish part of Memphis.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,233 times
It wasn't easy being a Sicilian American growing up in Kentucky, where your either White or black.. Nothing in between. Kids and still people this day (I'm 35) asking me "what are you" I look and act different from most people I've encountered through life, I'm used to it now but still I would love to be around people that are like me.. I guess I should be in new York or something.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:01 AM

522 posts, read 622,584 times
Valdese, North Carolina was apparently settled by a mix of Northern Italians and Southern French of the Waldensian faith. (Northern Italians are sometimes a bit culturally different than Southern Italians though) Although the site lists their current Italian-American population as just 5.8%.

Valdese North Carolina
http://www.city-data.com/city/Valdes...-Carolina.html

Follansbee, West Virginia is plurality Italian with a population that's listed as 34.7% Italian. It's on the border of Ohio though so possibly "nearly Midwestern."

http://www.city-data.com/city/Follan...-Virginia.html

Reportedly Daphne, Alabama was once fairly Italian although now it looks to be under 5%.

Daphne celebrates Italian roots with festival | al.com
http://www.city-data.com/city/Daphne-Alabama.html

Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
New Orleans has the highest concentration of Sicilians outside of the island in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.