Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh please. Maryland, Delaware and Virginia are definitely in the South, although not nearly as deeply southern as say, Alabama. I would call them mildly southern states. Living in New York and Connecticut all my life, MD, DE and VA totally feel southern to me, as well as southern PA, even.
Heh. Just no. South-central PA is rural and on the conservative side, but that's where commonalities with the (stereotyped) South end.

Also, I've never understood how people can "feel" a culture, especially by passing through. The only way that statement makes remote sense is if you're judging by climate, which, of course, would make these areas more "Southern" than NY or CT by virtue of the fact that they are closer to the equator.

You can only discern the true culture of an area by having extended experiences.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-15-2012 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Heh. Just no. South-central PA is rural and on the conservative side, but that's where commonalities with the (stereotyped) South end.

Also, I've never understood how people can "feel" a culture, especially by passing through. The only way that statement makes remote sense is if you're judging by climate, which, of course, would make these areas more "Southern" than NY or CT by virtue of the fact that they are closer to the equator.

You can only discern the true culture of an area by having extended experiences.
You know, the last 2 paragraphs of your post are sooooooo true.
I honestly think people confuse rural with southern.
Strange.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:02 AM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You know, the last 2 paragraphs of your post are sooooooo true.
I honestly think people confuse rural with southern.
Strange.
I agree, people confuse rural with southern. I live in south-central PA and it is no way southern. Nobody here would even begin to call themselves southern.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Albuquerque, New Mexico -North

Old 05-15-2012, 04:21 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
NC
South (the whole state is definitely southern imo)

Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
stlouisan, Just curious, as you are someone from St. Louis with an often cited "friend from upstate New York", why do you have such strong feelings about the north/south divide here on the east coast? For example I could care less where the north and south divided west of the Appalachians: I have friends in Kentucky and Missouri but whether Missouri is southern or northern never really occurred to me as an important question.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
stlouisan, Just curious, as you are someone from St. Louis with an often cited "friend from upstate New York", why do you have such strong feelings about the north/south divide here on the east coast? For example I could care less where the north and south divided west of the Appalachians: I have friends in Kentucky and Missouri but whether Missouri is southern or northern never really occurred to me as an important question.
Its important to Missourians.
Other than that, I cant comment on the other questions in your post.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

This.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Southern Maryland.
Southern - but Mid-Atlantic if such an option was available.
Central Pennsylvania
Northern.

I see the Maryland southern thing has bled into here. The nearly unanimous agreement both at home in Maryland and here in Pennsylvania, is that Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia are the Mid-Atlantic.
Northern virginia I could agree to, but having been to Virginia myself, I can tell you that Northern Virginia is like the bootheel of Missouri...very different from the rest of the state...D.C. and Richmond are virtual polar opposites. Most of Maryland is more like pennsylvania and delaware than like virginia culturally and linguistically.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Because I am interested in this country as a whole, not just where I live, I have relatives in D.C. and Baltimore, so I actually am interested for that reason having personally visited this area many times. Not to mention, all the research I've done for my area has inadvertently provided me with info about the east coast. I know both of these areas pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.