Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree with Fort Worth. People treat it like it's a suburb of Dallas, which it definitely is not. It's a great city in it's own right.

Until recently, I would have said OKC, but with the Thunder being here, it's brought much more attention to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Ft. Worth is in the same boat as St. Paul. They are both cool cities, but massively overshadowed by their big brother.

Honolulu is interesting, though. It is a popular city, but I don't hear it's name thrown around here very often on C-D.
I don't know much about Fort Worth, but I think St. Paul has a lot more pull within its metro area. St. Paul is the seat of the state government, major center for the medical device industry, and has a very distinct personality and culture sort of separate from Minneapolis. Fort Worth I have always thought of as more of a city that grew up because of Dallas, not in spite of it. But I could be wrong.

My impression is also that the Minneapolis-St. Paul rivalry is a bit more....um...intense? than Dallas vs. Fort Worth....

Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I don't know much about Fort Worth, but I think St. Paul has a lot more pull within its metro area. St. Paul is the seat of the state government, major center for the medical device industry, and has a very distinct personality and culture sort of separate from Minneapolis. Fort Worth I have always thought of as more of a city that grew up because of Dallas, not in spite of it. But I could be wrong.

My impression is also that the Minneapolis-St. Paul rivalry is a bit more....um...intense? than Dallas vs. Fort Worth....
Very true. I like reading about the old Minneapolis-St. Paul rivalry -- where they would build bigger and better things just to better the other.

I really like St. Paul, but it still doesn't get the recognition it deserves, state capital and all. I can't make much of an informed post about Ft. Worth, as I have never strayed outside of the Dallas half of the metro. I'd like to visit one day, though.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Fort Worth I have always thought of as more of a city that grew up because of Dallas, not in spite of it. But I could be wrong.

You can't be more wrong.

Dallas survived because of FW and the other cities in Texas and the surrounding states.

FW's cattle industry fed Dallas shipping industry. SA's cotton industry did the same. Houston's port did the Same. None of the other cities really need Dallas, but Dallas's existent depended on the Industries of its neighbors.

As for the the rivalry, the FW- Dallas one is just as intense as the ST Paul- Minneapolis one. There is lots of name calling and looking down upon in DFW.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
On C-D Honolulu rarely gets mentioned. Even on threads dealing a topic like Asians you rarely hear Honolulu mentioned even those it's the most Asian city in the US by far. It also has a pretty impressive skyline and stunning scenery, but again not mentioned that often when that topic comes up.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:16 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
Jacksonville Florida, I would say 80% of the population doesn't know its the largest city in Florida.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Hartford, CT, for having an Economy larger than New Orleans, its gets mentioned less than 1/2 as much, unless someone is listing the "small" cities in the Boswash Corridor.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Jacksonville Florida, I would say 80% of the population doesn't know its the largest city in Florida.
That would be Miami

Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Fort Worth IS in the shadow of Dallas. It's part of the DFW area and would not stand alone as a MAJOR city without Dallas unless Fort Worth captured a lot of the growth that would have gone to Dallas instead. Same with St Paul. They would be more in line with OKC, a small metro that gets about the amount of attention it deserves for what the city offers.

I think OKC is getting more attention than it derves. What they have done there in the past decade has been amazing, but there is still not a lot to do in OKC. It's a very spread out suburban type mid sized city with quite a bit of urban blight with an NBA team and a very out of place skyscraper.

Major cities that don't get a lot of national respect are basically all of the bigger historic stand along metros (that offer a lot of culture, entertainment, pro sports, history, urban living options etc) Those cities offer nearly anything the more well known coastal cities offer, only they are in "flyover country".

So Milwaukee, St Louis, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Cleveland, even places like Pittsburgh and Denver. Large metropolitan areas with vibrant and interesting urban cores, big city arts and pro sports scenes, large amusement parks etc that are totally overlooked because they are not on the coasts.

Having said that, St Paul has a great downtown and a nice skyline!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Yea, and the city of Wichita is bigger than the city of St Louis. So what. We all know that Wichita does not compare to StL nor is Wichita a bigger city than St Loius.

Miami is the largest city in FL.

If Des Moines annexed 80% of the state of Iowa, would you rank it a top five city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.