Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Hipsters can be annoying, but whenever I venture out to the suburbs or rural areas I sort of miss them. They're easy to ignore and probably bother me less than than rednecks, cholos, gutter punks, country club Republicans, angry eco-hippies, sportos, motorheads, geeks, bloods, wastoids, and dweebies.

Well they are all rooting for Ferris to feel better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
What, exactly is so bad about hipsters? I admit they are kind of annoying, but they really don't do any harm. They aren't violent or anti-social and they inject money into a neighborhood. And most of the stuff they like is actually pretty cool, they just take it to far.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:58 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
What, exactly is so bad about hipsters? I admit they are kind of annoying, but they really don't do any harm. They aren't violent or anti-social and they inject money into a neighborhood. And most of the stuff they like is actually pretty cool, they just take it to far.
I know they dont do any harm. But I do dread them populating my neighborhood. We have a strong latino culture here. Murals,(one of them has been painted over when a new company bought the building, now we have 2 murals left), restraunts, and overall the feel of it.

Last thing I want is for the who walks down the street selling elotes(corn on the cob with cheese), to be reported by some sheltered yuppies and get taken out of the area.

I know gangs aren't good, but I'm kind of glad that they scare off people (with their tags) that would want to change our neighborhood into starbucksville. Our neigborhood is still holding it down with our culture. Cant imagine our corner store or La Azteca Restraunt(we call it Dachos, named after the man who founded it and died a few years back) to be turned into some hippie organic food place.. HELL NO..

Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I know they dont do any harm. But I do dread them populating my neighborhood. We have a strong latino culture here. Murals,(one of them has been painted over when a new company bought the building, now we have 2 murals left), restraunts, and overall the feel of it.

Last thing I want is for the who walks down the street selling elotes(corn on the cob with cheese), to be reported by some sheltered yuppies and get taken out of the area.

I know gangs aren't good, but I'm kind of glad that they scare off people (with their tags) that would want to change our neighborhood into starbucksville. Our neigborhood is still holding it down with our culture. Cant imagine our corner store or La Azteca Restraunt(we call it Dachos, named after the man who founded it and died a few years back) to be turned into some hippie organic food place.. HELL NO..

well it sounds you are fighting change. Neighborhoods and dynamics of them do too.

On the Mural am just curious if they were originally created to enhance/cover up blight. There are many murals in Philly created for that. then when market developement comes because the neighborhod is now generating new investment people scream but what about the mural. This aspect I dont understand

Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 PM

425 posts, read 371,236 times
Its all about an image.

They take **** to the extreme, which I find to be annoying as ****.

For example. The hipster haircuts. Shaving one side of your head, or wearing a ****ing scarf when its 85 out (and no, not a keffiyeh).

I know quite a few that are just downright irritating because their entire live revolves around ****ty obscure music, tattoos and lattes.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Charles Bronson Kills Hipsters - YouTube

Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM

425 posts, read 371,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well it sounds you are fighting change. Neighborhoods and dynamics of them do too.

On the Mural am just curious if they were originally created to enhance/cover up blight. There are many murals in Philly created for that. then when market developement comes because the neighborhod is now generating new investment people scream but what about the mural. This aspect I dont understand

I would argue that this is quite different.

At what point in history were affluent pseudo-intellectual 20 somethings migrating from the suburbs to the inner cities (beatniks? no) for...... well..... whatever it is they do?

This is totally different than your usual cyclical neighborhood change formed from a single family moving in for economic reasons, or immigrants moving to a ghetto. These people bring their cultures with them. They define neighborhoods.

Hipsters take non-conformist behavior to the extreme. But the thing is, most of them (at least that I know) are not politically engaged whatsoever. Their entire existence is predicated upon on consumerism. Theyre not anti-capitalist, theyre anti-mainstream. "This mainstream sucks, my mainstream is better"

Quote:
While most well adjusted members of society view music as an enjoyable addendum to life, perhaps a distraction or even a hobby, hipsters know that music is serious business. Having been picked on since a very young age by those who found their talents lay in athletics, they decided the ideal place to exercise influence was in the fields of listening to stuff and putting on clothes. Most people who aren't hipsters recognize these areas as naturally subjective, and generally not worth giving much of a **** about, which allows hipsters to win the argument for the simple reason that they're the only ones who care enough to notice that it's going on.

If asked to define what it is to be a hipster, one might be tempted to give a number of answers. Passion for obscure bands, obtuse fashion sense, cheapness masquerading as quirkiness or upper-middle-class white self loathing are all popular. In actuality, most of the culture boils down to judging. Judging items, activities, bands, companies, clothes, oneself and most importantly other people. If someone else is less savvy, cutting edge or knowledgeable than you, doesn't that mean you are a better person?

Hipsters must therefore strive at all times to stay a step ahead of everyone else. Worshiping the most obscure bands available and then dismissing them after they come out with their first LP is a good start. Successfully using the phrase "I was into them before..." is rumored to actually make a hipster's penis larger.
Hipsters also attempt to stay on the cusp of their perverted version of fashion. Are black framed glasses out? Try 60's horn-rims. Does your friend have his lip pierced? Try cutting yours off. This isn't about beauty or even basic hygiene. This is about looking like you traveled back from the not too distant future. A future populated by douchebags.

You may be wondering: isn't all this ridiculous scrambling to attach oneself to the next big thing exhausting? Doesn't it reflect a deep personal flaw that people would choose to relentlessly consume rather than attempt to create? Isn't this a sad comment on the state of society that people would glorify this type of inane behavior? Well, that's exactly what I'd expect someone who didn't buy the In Rainbows boxset to say, *******! Maybe you'd prefer Coldplay?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chevy...286.87,,0,3.69

Go down this street(alger) on the right will be the murals, one of which is on the bottom half of a wall.

I dont care if it covers blight, a neighborhood too sterile isn't a neighborhood for me. Besides that it reflects our culture. Also behind the azteca restraunt there is another mural of the Virgin Mary.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM

581 posts, read 969,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
wearing a ****ing scarf when its 85 out
This is something I noticed a lot in southern Europe. It would be 90 out and people would be strolling about in scarfs and big stylish coats...

Old 08-20-2012, 01:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
I really don't hate them personally i just can't stand their sense of style, its like a bunch of little paul bunyans running around. but i'd rather have them taking over a neighborhood than a bunch of gangmembers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.