Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:12 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times

Advertisements

Everyone talks about the areas in the South that have become more "Northern" over time, such as South Florida, Northern Virginia, etc...but are there any comparable areas in the North that are becoming more Southern, or at least attracting more native Southerners? For the purposes of this discussion, the "North" means any area of the United States that's not in the South, or considered a border state.

I know that there are pockets of Southern culture in states outside of the South, and some cities in the North attract Southern transplants, particularly faster-growing Northern areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I don't think the phenomenon exists as "Southern behavior" has been seen as not progressive and certainly not appealing for most anyone in the "North", unless one is talking culinary traditions such as Fried Chicken and Sweet Tea...

Old 03-18-2012, 03:39 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Seems to me over the past 10 years the Midwest-South line in Southeastern Missouri has moved northward, not southward. Mainly due to the fact that many people have moved to the Cape Girardeau area from the bootheel, although Cape was always a mix.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
You mean northern cities that have a foreign automobile assembly plant? In my view, southern cities are having a very hard time staying southern. The country is a lot more homogenized in the past couple of generations. There isn't really any such thing as a southern city anymore. Southern congressmen don't even have an accent anymore, except Lindsay Graham.

In the 50s, people spoke with a very strong southern accent even in northern Missouri and southern Ohio.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In my view, southern cities are having a very hard time staying southern. The country is a lot more homogenized in the past couple of generations. There isn't really any such thing as a southern city anymore.
Excellent post. I think, though, that of the cities in the South I've visited or passed through, Montgomery AL still feels pretty southern.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:17 PM

35 posts, read 79,981 times
If anything to me it seems like the opposite. It appears the south is becoming more northern.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:58 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Southern congressmen don't even have an accent anymore, except Lindsay Graham.
SO not true.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:05 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Southern PA along the I-83 corridor is becoming for southern since people from the Baltimore area are moving to escape the high taxes.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
You mean northern cities that have a foreign automobile assembly plant? In my view, southern cities are having a very hard time staying southern. The country is a lot more homogenized in the past couple of generations. There isn't really any such thing as a southern city anymore. Southern congressmen don't even have an accent anymore, except Lindsay Graham.

In the 50s, people spoke with a very strong southern accent even in northern Missouri and southern Ohio.
I'm not sure I agree with that...my grandmother was from northern Missouri and her sisters were too...that was not a southern accent, much less a strong one. "South Midland" dialect is very different from "North Midland". In fact, Jack Riley, the voice of NASA for the Apollo 11 mission (can be heard by watching the CBS video of the launch), was from Northern Missouri...didn't have an accent at all. Neither did a prominent WWII general whose name escapes me that was from Moberly. The South Midland dialect has some common features with Southern speech patterns, but is distinctly different. THat accent extended into Northeast Indiana as well...at least as far north as Pendleton, Indiana.

In any event, I believe the reverse is happening...I believe that the North became more Southern during the first half of the twentieth century...when the Rust Belt effect set in during the second half, I believe that the reverse happened. Southern cities are still southern, but parts of Texas, Virginia, and Florida, for example, have all had their southern culture diluted somewhat by migrants from the North and from other countries. Given that D.C. is what is, it's no surprise Virginia would've had its southern culture in some places severely diluted. But I agree with what many have said..."Southern" places are becoming more "Northern."

Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Southern PA along the I-83 corridor is becoming for southern since people from the Baltimore area are moving to escape the high taxes.
??? How is that making it more southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.