Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^^ Florida has the lowest high point of any state in the US at 345 ft above sea level. Just to show how flat and low the state is even a city like Philadelphia (not known for height) has a point higher at 445ft above sea level. Phillys lowest point is sea level
San Francisco ranges from 0 to 925 feet.

Los Angeles ranges from 0 to 5080!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
San Francisco ranges from 0 to 925 feet.

Los Angeles ranges from 0 to 5080!
LA is crazy in that regard. LA almost goes from 0 to higher than the highest peaks on the whole East coast in such a small space

to the earlier comments on LA. Yes there are hilly streets but on the whole most of the developed space (save some wealthy enclaves on the hils) are actually not that hilly

As an aside the views from the Strip down the modest hill with the lights are amazing to me one of the single most spectacular views in the country if not the world.

On SF from 0 to 925 it would appear Pittsburgh has an elevation change of between 600-650 feet. Question on SF. After the tallest hill with the Tokyo looking radio tower. what would be the next highest point. the twin peaks?

Also as a city the view down California with the tall buildings and Bay bridge (not to mention cable cars) is flat out one of my favorite single views. Cruising through Chinatown then just Bam...

Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

On SF from 0 to 925 it would appear Pittsburgh has an elevation change of between 600-650 feet. Question on SF. After the tallest hill with the Tokyo looking radio tower. what would be the next highest point. the twin peaks?
Actually Mount Davidson is the highest point in San Francisco. One of the Twin Peaks is second highest and Mount Sutro(the one with the radio tower) is the third highest.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Los Angeles has some VERY hilly neighborhoods. In fact it contains some of the steepest streets in America -- 3 of which are steeper than the steepest street in SF.

Duluth MN is quite hilly too.
I don't consider Duluth, MN and Worcester, MA, major American Metro areas or Cities. While there are some parts of LA, that for sure are hilly, most of the LA basin (city proper), in LA county is somewhat flat.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:44 PM

666 posts, read 1,290,836 times
Well, to be honest... not all of the FL is perfectly flat. In fact, the only areas in Florida that are paper-flat are the proximities to the Everglades and the eastern coast, now if you go to Pasco, Hernando, Lake County and parts of the north and the panhandle you won't see mountains but you will strongly disagree that FL is flat. It has a lot of rolling bumps and hills north of Tampa and west of Orlando.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:31 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Actually Mount Davidson is the highest point in San Francisco. One of the Twin Peaks is second highest and Mount Sutro(the one with the radio tower) is the third highest.
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Portland's highest point is higher than any of those.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,862,857 times
How about this, its a Flickr gallery of hilly cities:

Hilly Cities - a gallery on Flickr

Although Duluth isn't major population wise, it still is one of the hilliest cities in the U.S., considering its size it is very hilly. It isn't just some small town, it still is a small-medium population center, and a huge industrial center, seeing as it's the 17th largest port in the United States, and both the largest freshwater and inland port in the world.

Look at the hill above downtown:

All sizes | Downtown Duluth from Canal Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

By the way, I took this picture!!! There will be no problems, because it is my Flickr account. Thank you. Also, I haven't uploaded many pictures yet, so it's pretty skimpy photostream.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Cincinnati is ALL hills its not a little but of hills its all over the city flat land is rare in the city.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Pittsburgh. I drove through Cincinnati last summer and don't remember the hills being too memorable but its up in the top ten.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Atlanta. Atlanta is known for its very hilly topography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.