Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 11:38 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Because the racisms decline led to upward mobility, and t that point, there was no reason to leave once they got wealthy enough to do so
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If you think it's so simple, answer it, because there are still several exceptions to this. Tennessee, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Virginia all have much smaller black populations than the deep south states.
Because the DEEP SOUTH STATES were the COTTON PRODUCING STATES and slaves were primarily used in the cultivation of cotton ... and then only in the LOWLANDS ... Cotton was grown in the flat coastal plain, NOT so much in the Piedmont and certainly not in the mountains or OVER the mountain. Georgia is a very good examaple; to this day the majority of blacks in Georgia reside in the Southern portion in the state; there are counties in North Georgia (the entire northern third of the state actually, above Atlanta) that are 100 percent WHITE and where blacks have NEVER lived!!!

Again, as someone else asked and not to offend, this is something basic and IMPORTANT to US history that you should have been taught in school a LONG LONG time ago. I mean, seriously ... this is BASIC U.S. HISTORY!!

Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Because the DEEP SOUTH STATES were the COTTON PRODUCING STATES and slaves were primarily used in the cultivation of cotton ... and then only in the LOWLANDS ... Cotton was grown in the flat coastal plain, NOT so much in the Piedmont and certainly not in the mountains or OVER the mountain. Georgia is a very good examaple; to this day the majority of blacks in Georgia reside in the Southern portion in the state; there are counties in North Georgia (the entire northern third of the state actually, above Atlanta) that are 100 percent WHITE and where blacks have NEVER lived!!!

Again, as someone else asked and not to offend, this is something basic and IMPORTANT to US history that you should have been taught in school a LONG LONG time ago. I mean, seriously ... this is BASIC U.S. HISTORY!!
The civil war has been over for 147 years. I know my history fine. There are blacks in other parts of the country, but their presence is most heavy in the south. 150 years is more than enough time for multiple generations to be born and have the opportunity to move elsewhere, but they haven't.

150 years ago many of the western states did not exist yet, however many whites moved westward and settled these states. You didn't really think about the question, I hope you think about it this time around.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indy was the ONLY major US city in the country that did not riot in 1968 after Martin Luther King Jr's death ...
This is absolutely 100 percent FALSE! There were plenty of cities where riots did not take place, most notably and significantly ATLANTA -- Martin Luther King's hometown.

Get your facts straight ....

Old 12-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
The civil war has been over for 147 years. I know my history fine. There are blacks in other parts of the country, but their presence is most heavy in the south. 150 years is more than enough time for multiple generations to be born and have the opportunity to move elsewhere, but they haven't.

150 years ago many of the western states did not exist yet, however many whites moved westward and settled these states. You didn't really think about the question, I hope you think about it this time around.
OK then ... perhaps because African-Americans LIKE living in the South? It's where their roots are? It's their home?

I see where you are going with this now -- you don't seem to care about history or US growth patterns or even African-Americans, you're just trying to stir up negative conversation about the South.

"Why would anybody want to live in the South?!" -- Is that your real question?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:12 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:

Many Black people originally from the South did move to other parts of the country (called the Great Migration). About 90% of Black people lived in the South in 1900, today that precentage is around 55%.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK then ... perhaps because African-Americans LIKE living in the South? It's where their roots are? It's their home?

I see where you are going with this now -- you don't seem to care about history or US growth patterns or even African-Americans, you're just trying to stir up negative conversation about the South.

"Why would anybody want to live in the South?!" -- Is that your real question?
And white people's roots are in Europe, it's their home, why didn't they just stay there? And New England was settled before the south, yet people still moved south back in the day.

If you really do not understand the question by now, then I can't help you see it. I've asked it several different ways, and over a dozen other posts on this thread have addressed exactly what I asked. Yet you're still confused, if you can't see what is obvious to others, I can't help you.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
The black population in the north and west increased from the beginning of WWI to the1970s because of Jim Crow. The reason black people didn't leave in great numbers between the end of reconstruction and WWI was lack of employment opportunities. Prior to WWI the north relied on European immigrants for labor but the war slowed down the flow of European immigrants. The northern factory owners sent scouts to the south the recruit black labor. Word spread and more people decided to leave when they heard from family that it was better up north. That's the simple version. They're books about this. The Warmth of Other Suns is a good one.

[quote=ColdAilment;27198245]Are you guys forgetting the civil war was 150 years ago? You're not giving it enough thought. All the blacks in California and Washington had no ancestors living there in the 1800's, their families moved and migrated there over the last century. I'm asking why some families did and some did not. Thought people could take the question seriously and think a little deeper, not just the surface facts we all know about the history of the south. Great job.[andOTE]

Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not surprised as NY didn't abolish slavery until July 4th 1827 and had more slaves than GA at one time. Most were in the Downstate portion and into the Hudson and Mohawk river valleys. That is why it isn't odd to see Black people with Dutch and French(Huguenot) surnames up here.

I believe I read that if they born before 1827, they weren't freed until they were 18 or at the discretion of the owner. I think NJ didn't have its last slave released until 1865 or 1866.
Sojourner Truth did not learn to speak English until she was a teenager and sold from her original home. She was born a slave to a Dutch family in upstate New York and spoke Dutch first. I know black people with Dutch last names, too.

In NJ, they made the law that any slave born after July 4, 1804, would be freed upon reaching 25 for a male and 21 for a female. Slaves born before July 4 of that year would remain slaves. In 1846, slavery was "abolished" in NJ, but not really. The terminology was just changed. Existing slaves became "apprentices", even though they might be elderly at that point. The state law also allowed for slaveowners to turn their slaves over to the state, who made the slaves wards--which meant that they would pay someone else to feed/shelter the former slave, and that someone was usually the former owner who had "freed" them, which meant that the owner then received a payment from the state to feed and shelter that same person they had always had to feed and shelter (and get work out of).

There were still slaves on the census in NJ in 1860. Slavery did not really end until the 13th Amendment was ratified.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Why do so many Puerto Ricans live in NYC? Why do so many Latinos live in Texas and Cakifornia? Why do so many Cubans live in Miami? The reasons are ALL THE SAME as to why so many African-Americans live in the south!

Ask the question as many times and as many ways as you want, but blacks were brought to the South through slavery and it is where they still live to this day! WHAT OTHER ANSWER ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?! Like most Southerners, they probably don't like cold weather either!

BTW: Your question about "why so many blacks live in the South" might have better been stated "Why are so many blacks moving BACK to the South?" That's a true demographic phenomenon of historic proportions and something very worthy of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.