Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
Probably Minnesota or Michigan, since they have decently-sized wilderness areas. Beyond that, I wouldn't even bother to rank them. The flyover states aren't suitable for discussion, IMO.

I dont know what part of America you are from, but if you think the "flyover states" are not worth discussing you have written off some of the best parts of this nation. Your food comes from flyover country, the cereal you had for breakfast, the chevy or ford in your garage, the lumber that built your house need I go on??. Some of the most beautiful places are midwest flyover places. All the northwoods of Mn, WI and Mi, and of course the lakes. The Ohio and Mississippi river valleys and all thier history, the wide open plains of Nebraska and Kansas. I am just shocked when I hear comments like this, go out and see the place before you discount it. The midwest, and the south too seem to be punching bags for people who live on the coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
Probably Minnesota or Michigan, since they have decently-sized wilderness areas. Beyond that, I wouldn't even bother to rank them. The flyover states aren't suitable for discussion, IMO.
Right, an Iowa vs. Nebraska discussion just pales in comparison to riveting topics such as Connecticut vs. Rhode Island or Washington vs. Oregon.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
My rankings based on the attributes of the farm animals

1. Iowa - a good mix of the traditional livestock and without a doubt, the smartest chickens in the world
2. Minnesota - gets the nod simply because the horse industry is light years above any others in the Midwest along with their very attractive turkeys
3. South Dakota - very progressive in looking into the 21st century and non-traditional species like Llamas, Yaks and Canadians.
4. Nebraska - millions and millions of bison have secretly been bred and hidden in the sand-hills in anticipation of something "big" ocurring soon.
5. Wisconsin - would probably rank higher if their cows weren't so ugly
6. North Dakota - have largely abandoned the traditions that made them strong in order to chase the fleeting riches promoted by a bunch of out-of-state frackers.
7. Illinois - boot-licking before the corrupt dudes in Chicago has left the livestock industry in shambles
8. Ohio - largely have abandoned their senses in favor of stockpiling lions, tigers, bears and monkees
9. Indiana - not really part of the Midwest now are they?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I dont know what part of America you are from, but if you think the "flyover states" are not worth discussing you have written off some of the best parts of this nation. Your food comes from flyover country, the cereal you had for breakfast, the chevy or ford in your garage, the lumber that built your house need I go on??. Some of the most beautiful places are midwest flyover places. All the northwoods of Mn, WI and Mi, and of course the lakes. The Ohio and Mississippi river valleys and all thier history, the wide open plains of Nebraska and Kansas. I am just shocked when I hear comments like this, go out and see the place before you discount it. The midwest, and the south too seem to be punching bags for people who live on the coasts.
Too true, and I'm tired of hearing this. Hell, the third largest city in the country, CHICAGO is in "fly over" country, the steel mills, the majority of the automobile plants and their offices, country music in Nashville, oh and I'm pretty sure Mississippi is the leading state in timber exports.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
My rankings based on the attributes of the farm animals

1. Iowa - a good mix of the traditional livestock and without a doubt, the smartest chickens in the world
2. Minnesota - gets the nod simply because the horse industry is light years above any others in the Midwest along with their very attractive turkeys
3. South Dakota - very progressive in looking into the 21st century and non-traditional species like Llamas, Yaks and Canadians.
4. Nebraska - millions and millions of bison have secretly been bred and hidden in the sand-hills in anticipation of something "big" ocurring soon.
5. Wisconsin - would probably rank higher if their cows weren't so ugly
6. North Dakota - have largely abandoned the traditions that made them strong in order to chase the fleeting riches promoted by a bunch of out-of-state frackers.
7. Illinois - boot-licking before the corrupt dudes in Chicago has left the livestock industry in shambles
8. Ohio - largely have abandoned their senses in favor of stockpiling lions, tigers, bears and monkees
9. Indiana - not really part of the Midwest now are they?
How is Indiana not part of the midwest???

Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
My two favorite are Illinois and Minnesota.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Too true, and I'm tired of hearing this. Hell, the third largest city in the country, CHICAGO is in "fly over" country, the steel mills, the majority of the automobile plants and their offices, country music in Nashville, oh and I'm pretty sure Mississippi is the leading state in timber exports.
Flyover country just shows how ignorant people are on the Ignorant coast.
There is no such thing as *flyover country*

Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Wisconsin and Minnesota, with a special nod to that toddlin' town in Illinois: Chicago.

I have a very healthy respect for the Midwest's agricultural ( and industrial) production, but not really interested in living in the other states not mentioned above...

Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Wisconsin and Minnesota are my two favorites as well.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:06 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
I like the Midwest and have a particular interest in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. I guess I'd pick Michigan despite or because of its issues. Detroit is absolutely fascinating. The general geographic shape of Michigan is fantastic. All that lakefront and the freshwater islands are also pretty interesting as are the abundance of forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.