Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'd wager a bet that a lot of these people who live on the coast actually FLY into some of these "fly over cities" in the midwest and great plains, there is plenty of business there, just not the same kind of tourism as what exists on the coast.
I think you are right.
heres an interesting piece of info.

Tourism generated $4B for city in 2011, study says | 2012-12-06 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

Indianapolis tourist increased to 22,000,000 people in 2011 up from 20M in 2010.
That doesnt take into account 2012 which will have the success of Super Bowl 46.
I heard alot of people have visited Indianapolis because of the Super Bowl and the rave reviews about it decided to visit in the spring/summer.
So my prediction for the Tourism numbers of 2012 is atleast 25,000,000 people visit Indianapolis with again a majority being for leisure and recreation and not business/conventions. The Worlds Largest Childrens Museum sure does entice the kids haha.

so maybe those coasters cant claim its flyover country anymore.
Especially when the New York Giants/New England Patriots played each other in Indy and ironically those are both coastal teams 0.o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Is Atlanta considered flyover country since it's not on the coast?
Is Houston considered flyover country?
Is Dallas considered flyover country?
Is Denver considered flyover country?
Is Chicago considered flyover country?
Is Detroit considered flyover country?
Is Pittsburgh considered flyover country?
Is Cincinnati considered flyover country?
Is Las Vegas considered flyover country?

All these major cities that exist between both coasts...most of them are HUGE cities with lots of culture and history, are they actually that insignificant?
Don't forget New Orleans; a city that can make the whole nation look like flyover country.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Shhhhhh....don't tell people how nice it is here!
The climate and weather sure aren't nice. Not much water around.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:

My girlfriend is from Maine, so I hear this from her a lot, except Maine is north of NYC, so it's not really even a flyover state at all. But I don't understand how people can dismiss the middle of the country as being plain and boring
It is funny when people from the po-dunk parts of the northeast make fun of "flyover country". I grew up in upstate NY and have lived my adult life in Minneapolis. When I go back sometimes people make comments about rednecks and the Midwest when they find out I live in Minneapolis. They have no clue, in reality upstate NY is more like the stereotypical insular redneck flyover country while Minneapolis by comparison is a shining, cosmopolitan, urbane city.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
It is funny when people from the po-dunk parts of the northeast make fun of "flyover country". I grew up in upstate NY and have lived my adult life in Minneapolis. When I go back sometimes people make comments about rednecks and the Midwest when they find out I live in Minneapolis. They have no clue, in reality upstate NY is more like the stereotypical insular redneck flyover country while Minneapolis by comparison is a shining, cosmopolitan, urbane city.
That is true. I've seen parts of upstate NY that look as economically depressed and rundown as anything I've seen in West Virginia.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Is Atlanta considered flyover country since it's not on the coast?
Is Houston considered flyover country?
Is Dallas considered flyover country?
Is Denver considered flyover country?
Is Chicago considered flyover country?
Is Detroit considered flyover country?
Is Pittsburgh considered flyover country?
Is Cincinnati considered flyover country?
Is Las Vegas considered flyover country?

All these major cities that exist between both coasts...most of them are HUGE cities with lots of culture and history, are they actually that insignificant?
No.

Flyover is a pejorative that describes places that the vast majority of people only see while flying over them between major cities on the East and West Coast but will never see from the ground as there's nothing real much that distinguishes them from the hundreds of other flyover communities. Flyover country is places where people live who think most of those places you listed are HUGE cities

Old 12-16-2012, 02:35 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
More of a euphemism implying that Inland USA isn't as internationally significant as coastal USA.

Which is true.

Again, this does not mean inland USA is better or worse, it may be better for some people, coastal USA better for others. New England is different than the Pacific NW for example, and culturally (not politically) more similar to inland USA.

One could also ask where does Miami fall on the continuum. It's on the coast, but not the "East Coast", although it geographically is on the East coast of Florida. Internationally, it's better known across the world than any major inland city.

Las Vegas has proximity to LA, but still very inland. Another very well-known city.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:55 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
More of a euphemism implying that Inland USA isn't as internationally significant as coastal USA.

Which is true.

Again, this does not mean inland USA is better or worse, it may be better for some people, coastal USA better for others. New England is different than the Pacific NW for example, and culturally (not politically) more similar to inland USA.

One could also ask where does Miami fall on the continuum. It's on the coast, but not the "East Coast", although it geographically is on the East coast of Florida. Internationally, it's better known across the world than any major inland city.

Las Vegas has proximity to LA, but still very inland. Another very well-known city.
More than Chicago? Somehow, I doubt that.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Flyover cities are cities that simply lack unique cultural significance to make them prominent tourist destinations. They may be great places to live but they just don't offer enough that is unique to make it worth it for somebody from a large coastal metro area to pay them a visit. Cities like Kansas City, St, Louis, Indianapolis, Omaha, Tulsa, and OKC are really your more prominent "flyover" cities as well as states without major cities such as the Dakotas, Kansas, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, and Idaho. Texas in recent years has become exempt because of the rise of Dallas and Houston as well as Austin, the fallback plan for every young college hipster grad who can't move to Portland or Seattle. The rise of hipster culture in the Twin Cities has also exempted it as its on more and more young people's radar. Colorado is exempt because of Denver and the outdoor recreation of the Rocky Mountains that attract people from all over the nation. The South has its own culture and associated tourism so there is a lot of people that vacation there. Gulf Shores, Alabama for instance is a great beach getaway and New Orleans speaks for itself. Nashville and Memphis get more tourists than you would think as well.

So yes, it is a stereotype that "flyover" cities are culturally devoid and it is true there may be less high culture in flyover cities than the major coastal cities, but it has more to do with the cities lacking uniqueness to attract tourists.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
I've lived in the Midwest my entire life and I really don't see why people (in the Midwest) care if the Midwest is considered flyover country. I mean I can see how it could be taken as an insult, but I don't see why we should/would care about people on the coasts opinions of where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.