Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times

Advertisements

new orleans, dc, baltimore, chicago,atlanta...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 AM

630 posts, read 1,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't think the city needs to actively try and lure a particular demographic; what caused Blacks to flock here en masse in the first place is because it was the most progressive city for miles around. That's also why it has a large gay population. The focus just needs to be on improving the quality of life across the board, including the job market.

But you already know that some people aren't going to consider a place if it's viewed as a place where only "certain people" move to/frequent--that goes for retail establishments, neighborhoods, schools, churches, etc.
There are still plenty of white people moving to metro Atlanta, they just happen to be eclipsed by minority growth. This in happening in pretty much every major metro in the country, especially in the sunbelt.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM

735 posts, read 1,129,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Black people in DC hold no power?
Compared to those in Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc... no, they don't have power.

Quote:
Manufacturing started shifting southward in big numbers towards the middle of the 20th century, not when the Great Migration began.

I have no clue how you're differentiating between political structure and power/influence in Atlanta and DC vs. the other cities you mentioned. And yes, Blacks have long held political power in local politics in DC.
I never said it did, and don't you ever try to tell me how things happened in a place I am from. Are we clear about that? I said it happened DURING the Great Migration, not at the start of it.

How? Because for starters, in both cities, blacks are a subset of the population, not their own established communities.

What kind of black culture is coming out of either city? From what I can tell, it's either the Tyler Perry, BET, Diddy, "black" culture that sells its own people out to white kids from the suburbs or the middle class, young professional black culture that's more about the individual or the individual family. The latter is fine but it still doesn't make real communities. That's the difference. The black culture in cities like Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc is one that comes from the communities. I know of course that cities like Atlanta and DC have black neighborhoods and black communities, but not in the same way.

People arguing over population numbers when it comes to this really kind of annoy me. A group can have as many numbers as they like, but that won't make them a real community.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
There's a pretty distinct difference. As Spade said, Houston's nightlife for Blacks is no slouch, but it's not exactly comparable to Atlanta either. I remember chatting with someone from Houston who was here for something (I forget the weekend/event). I said, "You came here this weekend? I know Houston has nightlife for Black folks." He said, "Yeah it does, but not like Atlanta." I know it's just one anecdote, but still. But obviously, Houston doesn't need nightlife quite on that level to sustain healthy levels of Black migration.
As someone who has lived in both cities, I can say that I found the differences between the two rather trivial. Both have upscale, mid-range, and hood venues galore. The larger quantity that Atlanta has didn't add nearly as much variety as even I thought it would.

In the 90s and early 00s, I would've given Atlanta a significant edge, but that simply isn't the case anymore, in my honest opinion.

Only if you measure nightlife by the numbers of B and C list celebrities present is Atlanta in a tier above Houston.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
As someone who has lived in both cities, I can say that I found the differences between the two rather trivial. Both have upscale, mid-range, and hood venues galore. The larger quantity that Atlanta has didn't add nearly as much variety as even I thought it would.

In the 90s and early 00s, I would've given Atlanta a significant edge, but that simply isn't the case anymore, in my honest opinion.

Only if you measure nightlife by the numbers of B and C list celebrities present is Atlanta in a tier above Houston.
What do you mean?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What do you mean?
Atlanta does have more clubs catering to blacks.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I can agree on that, but I hear it's not a big difference between the two and it is much harder to find parties in Houston.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
I never said it did, and don't you ever try to tell me how things happened in a place I am from. Are we clear about that? I said it happened DURING the Great Migration, not at the start of it.
Listen son, just because you are from a place doesn't mean you know everything about it. I reserve the right to correct your ignorance if need be. Now that we're clear on THAT...

Quote:
What kind of black culture is coming out of either city? From what I can tell, it's either the Tyler Perry, BET, Diddy, "black" culture that sells its own people out to white kids from the suburbs or the middle class, young professional black culture that's more about the individual or the individual family. The latter is fine but it still doesn't make real communities. That's the difference. The black culture in cities like Philly, Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, etc is one that comes from the communities. I know of course that cities like Atlanta and DC have black neighborhoods and black communities, but not in the same way.
This is the most asinine cryptic ish I've ever read on here. You have not demonstrated any sort of substantial difference in Black culture between Philly/Baltimore/Detroit/Chicago and Atlanta/DC. AT ALL. It's because once again, you don't know what you're talking about but have the nerve to try and correct someone. How about having several stadium seats???

Old 02-02-2013, 03:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

You may not know much about it, but how about Black gay nightlife in Houston? That's a significant subset of Black nightlife in Atlanta as well, and that's pretty evident even if you're personally not a part of it.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
You may not know much about it, but how about Black gay nightlife in Houston? That's a significant subset of Black nightlife in Atlanta as well, and that's pretty evident even if you're personally not a part of it.
This is what I was actually about to bring up: that the black LGBT nightlife in Houston is most likely no match for Atlanta. Quite frankly, Atlanta might be far and away the best.

As I've heard it from an associate, Texas' black gay scene is more masculine and "discreet", so I guess things like clubs and festivals wouldn't be as big. Houston can hold its own, but it isn't and probably never will be on Atlanta's level as a mecca for gay black men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.