Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Just a fact that must have something to do with being in the middle....between Cleveland- Cincinnati Shouldn't be however, Is the Capital of Ohio- has a good Zoo, I-70 runs thru it.......thats about it..on second thought........
Columbus is also the largest city (not metro) in the state, having overtaken Cincy & Cleveland a few censuses ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM

285 posts, read 1,068,322 times
Northeast Jefferson, Colorado (CO) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news

Old 10-22-2007, 12:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
I read that, all the way through this time. It is apparent they are talking about NE Jefferson County. The post office they reference is in Lakewood (Belmar). The hospital (Lutheran) is in Wheat Ridge. It's quite confusing. It also seems new to me, though I don't look at the Colorado city page very often, I never saw it till last night when it came up in this thread. Maybe a mod can clarify?

Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Mesa simply cannot be considered a stand-alone city. It's just one of many sprawling tracts, along with Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Queen Creek, and Apache Junction of the "east valley" of the Phoenix metro area, which all run into each other. While downtown Mesa does have a distinct identity, being a Mormon pioneer settlement, it is a tiny area of Mesa as a whole-- a 400,000+ people city, with no identity of its own.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:29 PM

104 posts, read 449,954 times
Shreveport, LA
McAllen, TX
Fresno, CA
Ashevill, NC
St. Petersburg, FL

Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 PM

676 posts, read 2,797,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Re: Northeast Jefferson County, Colorado:

Population of Jefferson County: 526,801

Populaton of Alleged NE Jeffco: 450,166

Remainder: 76,635

However, population of these cities which are wholly in Jefferson Co:

Arvada: 102,173
Edgewater: 5445
Evergreeen (actually unicorporated): 9216
Golden: 17,159
Lakewood: 144,126
Mountain View 569
Wheat Ridge 32,913

Also listed on CD is Central Jefferson (23, 952) and S Jefferson (22,914) in Jefferson County. Obviously, these numbers do not add up.
They may have gotten that figure from total urban or incorporated areas and have unincorporated or rural areas as a seperate figure. northeast jefferson county is mainly suburbs of Denver and the further west and south you go the less urban it gets. This is purely speculation though..

Old 10-22-2007, 08:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
What are some cities that you dont ever hear about, or dont get enough credit.
Only the cities that deserve it the most, and hardly get it at all:

HOUSTON (all the big city/worldly ammenities, none of the respect...the ugly duckling)
DALLAS (all the business and all the image, but generally ignored)
SAN ANTONIO (quite possibly the most humble and mild city in the world with a population over a million...completely unique, full of character, dense and intimate downtown)

All three of these cities are just as eligible and valid as the more popular towns, but they get very little shine. Hmmmm, maybe it has something to do with their state?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
^^I really don't hear about Houston or San Antonio that much.

Now the rest of Texas on the other hand...:ro ll eyes:

Old 10-22-2007, 08:56 PM

84 posts, read 87,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Only the cities that deserve it the most, and hardly get it at all:

HOUSTON (all the big city/worldly ammenities, none of the respect...the ugly duckling)
DALLAS (all the business and all the image, but generally ignored)
SAN ANTONIO (quite possibly the most humble and mild city in the world with a population over a million...completely unique, full of character, dense and intimate downtown)

All three of these cities are just as eligible and valid as the more popular towns, but they get very little shine. Hmmmm, maybe it has something to do with their state?
Houston is a great city! Heck, all three are. I was really blown away when I went to Houston. When I came back, and told people that I had been to the fourth largest city in the nation, they thought I was lying. Houston is very forgotten, and just because it is in Texas doesn't mean that it is bad. If I got to choose the neighborhood, I would retire there, no problem.

This whole Northeast Jefferson thing is shocking!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:10 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
The problem with Columbus is that when you are in Ohio, it's midstate going yap yap yap all the time. Drove down there twice from Akron/Cleveland in 2005 - not worth the trip! Attention whores! They get a couple of large shopping malls and they never let you forget it. WHO CARES. Ahem.

Grand Rapids is worth the visit. You can keep forgetting about Dayton. Dayton wants to forget itself. Lansing is a great place - it gots a Big Boy, and gas stations, too.

Rolled through Decatur (Illinois) in the daytime yesterday. I didn't stop at the KMart, so I can't give a review of it.

The largest metro in the US you never hear about is Jacksonville, but it sounds like Florida wishes it would go away. No how! Jacksonville is the REAL Florida. Tampa has two exhausts and a spoiler on the trailer ... it thinks it's "all that."

I was extremely bored in class last week, so I made a list of all 48 lower states by region, skipping Georgia and Utah until I had more time to think. But I got Delaware this time, and I was all over Missouri and West Virginia.

At one time, I could tell you all the German states and Japanese prefectures without much trouble. I'm slipping, but you actually don't need to know to get a PhD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.