Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:44 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
The OP is trying to say that California is distinct while simultaneously saying that the rest of the US is homogeneous. Or I'm assuming too much, and that's not what they meant. I think those beaches look extremely nice and one of the big plusses in their favor is that they are not nearly as crowded as Florida or California beaches. I personally dislike going to the beach when lots of other people are there. It's nice to go and get your own quiet spot and just relax...
What I meant in the OP is that there is this overall "Californian vibe" in the larger Californian cities from the Neo Spanish Colonial architechure, to the ethnic type of cuisines, the minority-majority population, the fashion, the Mediterrnean climate, the landscape, and a polyglot type culture that I don't see in the rest of the country. Not to knock other regions with thier unique quirks. But California feels like a world to itself compared to most of the United States. If you look at California Urban areas. Outside of the San Diego metro, they are majority non White. I went to a high school with Samoans, Filipinos, Armenians, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Whites,Guatemalans, Belizeans, Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. Most American high schools do not have a diverse mix like this, but this would be normal demographics in a high school from a large Californian city.

I could feel this difference whenever I land in a airport in other state. The overall homogeneity in culture and fashion in the Midwest, South, and non Urban/Suburban areas of the Northeast stick out to me, compared to the mish mash of different fashions and cultures found in most of California, and a overall acceptance of being different from the norm. Some of the counter cultures, and fashion sense in many people from California would not fly in large parts of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
California is distinct from the rest of the US...but not any more than plenty of other states.
The only other distinct states I can think of is.

Texas(crossroads of the Southwest/South/Great Plains)

Louisiana(Strong French/Catholic influence)

Hawaii(Strong Asian/Native Hawaian influence)

Nevada(Legalized Gambling)

Florida(Snowbirds, and Caribbean immigrants)

The rest of American states overlap with each other by thier region.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post

The south has a huge influence on Northern Florida and non-swamp Louisiana. California is no more distinct in culture than Michigan, New Hampshire, Iowa, or Texas.
Also Far northern California is just like Oregon, and California is far from the same SF and the Inland empire are worlds apart.
I would say New Hampshire is even more distint than California due to it's unified culture and it's stark political differences from surrounding states.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

I would say New Hampshire is even more distint than California due to it's unified culture and it's stark political differences from surrounding states.

You're outta your mind

Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
. But California feels like a world to itself compared to most of the United States.

I could feel this difference whenever I land in a airport in other state. The overall homogeneity in culture and fashion in the Midwest, South, and non Urban/Suburban areas of the Northeast stick out to me, compared to the mish mash of different fashions and cultures found in most of California, and a overall acceptance of being different from the norm. Some of the counter cultures, and fashion sense in many people from California would not fly in large parts of the US.
agreed. There is a greater mix of different 'types' of people here than any other part of the US imo. This is a big part of the "California" feeling or distinctiveness.

All the regions of the country have a different feeling. The NE has its share of racial mix but it's still less widespread and less overall racially diverse than CA and on top of this has a certain gritty intense feeling/vibes compared to CA.

I think one's perspective on this will also be shaped by their race. As an Asian-American, there is truly no state quite like California. It is very distinct. It is hard to understand unless you are a minority and go to other areas of the country- there is a difference.

Except New Hampshire

Old 07-17-2013, 09:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
California is rather isolated yet heavily populated, the distance to other population centers is rather far. But yes, except for maybe far Northern California, it does seem to be its own world in some ways.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Plenty of states have political differences within them, New Hampshire is the most conservative part of New England but much of it doesn't feel that drastically different from other parts of New England — SE New Hampshire shares much in common with coastal areas to the south and maybe southern coastal Maine, the older cities in southern Hampshire share history with old industrial cities to the north of Boston, though they have remained much whiter, the western part of the state has a lot in common with Vermont.

California, the demographic mix, climate, style of buildings and general isolation from the rest of the country makes it more distinct.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

You're outta your mind
As an outsider I see huge similarities between Northern California and the Pac NW, and Southern California and the Desert SW.
Part of this is due to how much influence California has, its "California-ness" spread far beyond its borders.
Similar to how the English language no longer make England Unique due to their success as a culture.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,146 times
Quote:
As an outsider I see huge similarities between Northern California and the Pac NW, and Southern California and the Desert SW.
Outside of the Bay area, I would agree that NorCal is like Oregon. But LA and SD are nothing like Arizona or New Mexico. For one thing, they are separated from the Desert SW by mountains. The mountains and the ocean make SoCal have a much different climate than the drier desert. Also, the influx of immigrants from other areas makes it even more distinct. Arizona and New Mexico are primarily white and Hispanic (some black and Native American too).

Quote:
What I meant in the OP is that there is this overall "Californian vibe" in the larger Californian cities from the Neo Spanish Colonial architechure, to the ethnic type of cuisines, the minority-majority population, the fashion, the Mediterrnean climate, the landscape, and a polyglot type culture that I don't see in the rest of the country. Not to knock other regions with thier unique quirks. But California feels like a world to itself compared to most of the United States. If you look at California Urban areas. Outside of the San Diego metro, they are majority non White. I went to a high school with Samoans, Filipinos, Armenians, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Whites,Guatemalans, Belizeans, Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. Most American high schools do not have a diverse mix like this, but this would be normal demographics in a high school from a large Californian city.

Where I grew up in Texas was pretty diverse as well. There were a large number of Vietnamese people in Metroplex, and a lot of the Hispanic people were not from Mexico. That's actually how I learned to use the word "Hispanic" instead of Mexican; many of the people (mostly kids) would get offended if you referred to them as Mexicans, and they would correct you as to where they were from. I knew kids whose families were from India, the Middle East, Samoa, Africa (mostly Nigeria), Venezuela, etc. The rest of the South does not have as much diversity, but even in Atlanta I can see the demographics changing and becoming more even (VERY slowly). However, you would definitely notice all the differing cultures while in the ATL airport. Too many flights coming from all different locations around the world. Still, California probably has the most diversity outside of NYC. California's landscape is also much more distinctive than Texas', but I'm not so sure about fashion. I've seen everything back home; it was like a mix of old Western styles and newer styles from both coasts.

Quote:

The Texan in me has now been calmed by your admittance of our distinction haha. Hopefully, the other Texans can simmer down as well lol. Maybe add New Jersey to that list for being a mix of NYC and Philly (at least that's what I think of it lol).

Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Uh no, I live in a state that has a whole lot more stark differences from its surrounding states, comparing New Mexico to Colorado, Texas, and Arizona would conjur up more sharp and palpable differences politically than NH and Mass ever could. This example could be used in several areas, look at the differences politically between Maryland and it's surrounding states. NH really isn't that hugely distinctive in this regard. California has all the elements of stark political differences and is more dynamic within its own borders than NH couldn't hold a candle to (and all of New England for that matter). Yes NH is conservative compared with its neighbors but that said the level of conservatism especially socially, pales in comparison to several other states. The differences arn't as poignant in NH comparatively to other regions.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-17-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.