Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
With a net outmigration rate more than double that of the most slagged and most maligned region, I'd say the figure of speech isn't a hyperbole.
I think it is. The net outmigration rate is more than double of what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM

647 posts, read 1,216,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think it is. The net outmigration rate is more than double of what?
The Midwest.

All three regions are losing Americans to the South.

The West only managed to even out the net migration figure because of the Mexican illegals LOL. If the Northeast shared a border down South, it would also have even-ed it out.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Quote:
The Midwest.

All three regions are losing Americans to the South.

The West only managed to even out the net migration figure because of the Mexican illegals LOL. If the Northeast shared a border down South, it would also have even-ed it out.
The articles are referring to domestic migration from one state to another. "Mexican illegals" do not factor in to migration from one state to another.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
The articles are referring to domestic migration from one state to another. "Mexican illegals" do not factor in to migration from one state to another.
Oh you're right. I did a double take there when I saw your post because of what I know of what's been happening to CA for such a long time. Then I went back to the file and read, Pacific West -4.1. It's Mountain West that gained 11.6 that saved the West figures! Haha. I don't know why but I find it really funny. Americans are fleeing the coasts and moving inland. How sad. Could the Mountain numbers come from people leaving the Pacific West? Or must the numbers be from other regions?

Edit: Just did the Math. The Mountain numbers come from people leaving the Pacific West also. So the Mexicans are coming in to CA, and Americans are moving to the Mountain West. That's how the West had a net inmigration rate of 0.1 between 1990 to 2000. The people leaving the Pacific West in that time period is as high a rate as the people moving to the South.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Table 3 is interesting. I didnt know until now.

The worst net outmigration among Americans out of metropolitan areas are San Francisco -14.7, New York -11.4 and Boston -9.5 and Los Angeles -9.3. These figures are significantly worse than Detroit's outmigration numbers and we all know Detroit -6.0 was supposed to have begun emptying way before 2004.

The real truth is Americans have been leaving the cities that are supposed to be most "glamorous" in the minds of average Americans. Why is that? This is interesting. Because talking to people day to day certainly doesn't give you this impression.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
You're using stats from 14-24 years ago? 24 years is almost a quarter century!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 PM

624 posts, read 906,221 times
Quote:
TX has been rich for a long time, they're rich enough that most of the time they're shielded from the undercurrents of what goes on with the rest of the economy. What do you think gives them the balls to always say they want to secede?. TX shares the honor with CA as the state with the highest number of Fortune 500 companies in the US. It just became more popular to relocate to in recent years because of low tax rates and the South going through some sort of Renaissance.

TX cities considered 'hip' now and received many transplants.. are Austin, San Antonio. Dallas grew a lot and many of the residents are transplants but nobody thinks it's hip.

Houston has been high-profile for a long time. NASA anybody?
Balls try stupidly as a Texan the secede notion is just ridiculous. I live in SA there are three large military bases in the metro area if the Federal govt. pulled out the economy would take a big hit as would many other areas of Texas It’s all false bravado, were Americans first, and I certainly don’t bash or hate the Midwest and have been there many times.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
TX was it's own republic once. It didn't quite work out. I don't think they will really try that again.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
TX was it's own republic once. It didn't quite work out. I don't think they will really try that again.
However keep in mind there was a big difference between the Texas of the 1840s, a isolated state with a relatively small frontier population in constant danger from Mexico & the Comanches and the Texas of today, a wealthy energy rich state with the second largest population in the USA and a land area the size of France.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,169 times
So a Texas army vs the US army? Does Texas have a Navy too not sure? Seccession talks always kill me. We are considered the "United States" for a reason. We all get Texas is big but seriously I don't get it? Seems like it would be pretty easy to bring it to its knees. Blockade Houston, and other major highways ie I-20, I-35 (etc...), Control there airspace, invade by land, offer amnesty to the non-rebellious populace, and occupy and control the oil. Sell the rights to US Patriots only (let "big oil" determine if they want to be Texans, or US citizens at crunch time). We have all seen this episode before, if we are talking absolutes vs hypotheticals?

Last edited by sandlapper; 08-25-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.