Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:30 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times

Advertisements

The Northeast gets a TON of immigration and always has. People aren't really "fleeing" the Northeast as much as they are leaving for retirement or spreading out across the country as the Northeast is a fairly major port of entry from people who are coming very far distances across the oceans. Many start out in the Northeast but don't stay there their entire lives.

The northeast is growing in population, it's not like people are running away or its a tainted region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The Northeast gets a TON of immigration and always has. People aren't really "fleeing" the Northeast as much as they are leaving for retirement or spreading out across the country as the Northeast is a fairly major port of entry from people who are coming very far distances across the oceans. Many start out in the Northeast but don't stay there their entire lives.

The northeast is growing in population, it's not like people are running away or its a tainted region.
Thank you for mentioning this, as people forget that the Northeast has long been a gateway region into the US. So, to disregard immigration coming into the region doesn't make sense due to this always being the case.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So wait....you're 24 years old and claim to have a well balanced view of the Northeast US with around three years (in theory) of adult perspective?
I will say that in my experience living in the northeast is more suited to people who earn a high income or are already affluent. This is especially true of the larger metro areas in which most people in the northeast live.

It can be boring and limiting for people who don't make or have a lot of money. Those people can probably live much better elsewhere. That's the reality.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
A total geek will find this slide pack interesting: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...ion_slides.pdf. This is an upate on the 10 - 20 year old data offered by the OP. Some surprises:

- Slide 7: Only 11.6% of all people moved in 2010 - 11. Of those, only 1.6% moved to different state. Does this signify a new exodus?
- Slide 14: Of the top 5 state-to-state moves in 2009, only one involves an outflow from the northeast (NY - FL): A whopping 53,000 people out of a population of 19.5 million.
- Slide 16 presents the top 10 inter-state moves. Again, only one (NY - FL) is a move from the NE elsewhere.
- Slide 17 in interesting. NY is among the largest out- and in-migation states. CA, FL, and TX rank higher in both criteria.

Lots of other good data here for folks who like such things.

So let's examine this: Across the entire US, people are moving from state to state at an annual rate of 1.6%. A smaller subset of that number represents moves from region to region. What some may call "fleeing" I call a bit of an excuse to drag out stereotypes, half-truths and unfounded statements paraded as facts. If I'm the only one who detects a not so veiled dislike of the northeast by the OP, I'll live with that.

In the big picture, there are a few other dynamics worth mentioning when judging the relative health of an area. All of our major metro areas are growing: List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, including those of the northeast. The question is whether they are growing at a sustainable rate. I have lived a boom city. I have also seen it go bust. Neither cycle is good. Areas that boom are not generally equipped to handle to inflow. They can't build highways and homes quickly enough to handle the demand. Cheap construction further and further from the core is the rule. Another word for this is sprawl. Then, for whatever reason (say an oil bust in Texas or a housing bust in Las Vegas or Florida), people leave and there is too much infrastructure. Smart, slow growth is generally considered more sustainable. In all this talk about migration rates, no one has considered the question of a what is a healthy rate of growth, migration or otherwise.

In the northeast, all the states and their major metros are showing good sustainable growth (with the exception of Little Rhody, which seems to be at a standstill for now). In fact, even cities many associate with population decline such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, Providence and even Allentown are now in growth mode. We all (hopefully) agree that growth is important to the sustainability of our communities. It seem skewed and short-sighted to consider only one component of where that growth is coming from.

Is the sky falling? Are people fleeing the northeast? Rather than an informative thread, I think the OP has chosen outdated numbers in order to proclaim "Henny Penny"-style that the bottom is about to fall out. Facts don't support it. The northeast continues to thrive. The northeast, though it accounts for only 5% of the nation's territory, is home to 20% of its popualce who produce 23% of U.S. gross domestic product (Northeastern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It is home to 4 of the top 10 metropolitan areas in the country, all of which are growing. It is the home of nation's government and its its financial and media center. None of this is likely to change in the foreseeable future.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I will say that in my experience living in the northeast is more suited to people who earn a high income or are already affluent. This is especially true of the larger metro areas in which most people in the northeast live.

It can be boring and limiting for people who don't make or have a lot of money. Those people can probably live much better elsewhere. That's the reality.
The problem with that argument is that the salary dropoff and level of living follows them to those other cities where "living is easy" supposedly. Living in Florida I know firsthand of those moving from "other more expensive areas" for a better life only to find out unless one improves upon their income situation in some way, shape or form it's still just more of the same.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So wait....you're 24 years old and claim to have a well balanced view of the Northeast US with around three years (in theory) of adult perspective?
What?
Who says you need an adult perspective; all you need is a pair of eyes and some common sense.
I hate people who pull the age card. Im old enough to go die for our country in a war but Im not old enough to judge my surroundings?
What part of the northeast are you from know it all?

Do you know about the high taxes or the extraordinary high col in ct. Do you know about the racist attitudes in the boston area. What professionally football teams does ct have? Oh wait new england patriots. We dont even get our own specific football team? Massachusetts is brimming with culture We have tons of diversified ethnic resturants.

What cities do the northeast have beside new york where it cost 3$ to get a bottle of soda.

Philedelphia is a dump.

Hartford, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Non hispanic whites 15%
Black population 38.7%
Hispanic population 43. 4%

Hartford is one the poorest cities in the nation with 3 out of 10 families living below the proverty line.
Now lets look at nyc apartment cost. Obviously I do not know what Im talking about since I dont have an adult perspective
http:/newyork.craigslist.org/search/aap?query=&zoomToPosting=&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAs k=&bedrooms=1&housing_type=

There you go prices range from 1200 to 4000$ for a 1 bedrroom apartment like I said.

Before you make condenscending remarks attacking my age I suggest you learn how to read and do research yourself. All you did was make a donkey out of yourself in my eyes. I could sit here and put age demographcs, income by race in each area, racial integration maps, and be your teacher and educate you. Your rebuttal was absolute hot garbage.

Im not going to waste my time though.

You may like the northeast thats fine. Like I said old white people or white people with good salaries may like it.

Before you make a rebuttal I suggest you educate yourself before making any more condescending remarks because you really shouldn't be making any condescending remarks towards anyone but yourself.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Exactly old middle class upper class white people love it there.

Everyone else leaves.

Its a good place to retire if you want nice peaceful boring life. Its not a good place to go to college too even though their educational system(with the exception of hartford, new haven and few other areas) is exceptional. Why because its boring as all heck. Most of my friends left as soon as they got their degree. Some went to atlanta. Some went to seattle. Some left for d.c. and most left for north carolina.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Philedelphia is a dump.
Your first photo is The Bronx, not Philadelphia. Likely from several decades ago.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Exactly old middle class upper class white people love it there.

Everyone else leaves.
Without data to back up your statement, I'll just take your comments with a grain of salt. Perhaps your claims may be true where you live, but there is quite a different story in Philly, with people of all ages moving to the city: Study: Center City population soars - Philly.com. It seems young people enjoy Boston as well: http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2011/0...n-census-data/

Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
So you chose the South or West which has the most sprawled out cities and area in the country that are sprawling way faster than the Northeast? Have fun.
I dont think so . . . Not where I am. Small, compact and full of art and music.
Dont want to say where it is though. We already have more than our fair share of hipsters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.