Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:57 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,124 times

Advertisements

To start off with, this is not a troll thread and only respectful replies need be made. I am inspired to write this question based of things I have seen in real life and from many of the threads I have read on cd. It seems like some people have a real dislike for people from certain areas (for example NYers, Californians, and Texans, among others) and some people will be openly rude or hostile to a person because of where they are from without getting to know the person first. I have seen this when I was in the military and afterward, and the funny thing is, the people that act like this generally speak out against forms of prejudice (racism, sexism, etc.). My question is, since a person has no choice in where they came from, why is such open prejudice and hostility somewhat acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:26 PM

101 posts, read 173,222 times
Beats me. When we lived In MI we used to make fun of people from Ohio. And they made fun of us. Just a way of feeling superior, I guess.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:31 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,236 times
People living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan often refer to those living in the Lower Peninsula as "trolls". It's kind of the same thing everywhere, but mind the line between ribbing and demeaning. That's an important one.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:43 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,124 times
I agree there is a difference between good-natured ribbing and outright open hostility.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM

747 posts, read 1,681,964 times
There seems to be a lot of open hate or hostility in the south against northern people. Granted I never seem to hear the Northerners speak ill of the southerners.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
To some extent we all have an "us vs them" mentality. Whether that is an attitude towards people from a large group, or towards the menacing (insert group here) guy crossing the street and coming towards you.

When I was in sales I found that many people from various groups often behaved in a way that made my ability to earn my pay much more difficult. When I encountered people from these groups, I tended to shy away from them in the hopes that I could work with someone more likely to be a good customer. In that situation, it was financial survival.

In the case of the guy crossing the street, we subconsciously connect what we know about that group, and make decisions accordingly. Where it may directly affect us, many of us forgo getting to know an individual, and (at least at the beginning of the "relationship") respond to that person as being from whatever we group them to be. In this case, it may be actual survival.

As for being openly rude, I would never intentionally convey a bad attitude towards anyone, just because they're from a certain group. That's something a New Yawkah would do.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM

624 posts, read 939,281 times
It's socially acceptable because the complainers are in the midst of their own group. Others in the group may agree or disagree, but we aren't generally likely to speak up to one of our own when they complain about an outsider. The "us vs. them" mentality mentioned by vmaxnc.

I disagree that this behavior is more prevalent in people who reject other -isms. It's a mix. The people I know who do this come from all ideological stripes.

The apparent hostility can stem from things as minor as a "friendly" state rivalry or as significant as resentment against a group that has threatened local culture by moving to an area en masse. And plenty of complaining flows in the other direction as well...ask a Californian or New Yorker in South Carolina what they think about people there. It's all unfair generalization. People should be treated as individuals. That having been said, I'm a transplant myself and am not immune to making generlizations sometimes after being irritated by some of my new neighbors.

Edit: It's also the case that some states have a general reputation, often perpetuated by the media but also by overly state-proud transplants, that has spread like mold to those who like to generalize. If you're from one of those states, best prepare to be pigeonholed elsewhere.

Last edited by Slithytoves; 10-14-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 02:35 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
As for being openly rude, I would never intentionally convey a bad attitude towards anyone, just because they're from a certain group. That's something a New Yawkah would do.

I see what you did there.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM

624 posts, read 939,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I see what you did there.
Cute, wasn't it?

Gave me a chuckle, vmaxnc.

(NY native living in SC)

Old 10-14-2013, 03:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
There seems to be a lot of open hate or hostility in the south against northern people. Granted I never seem to hear the Northerners speak ill of the southerners.
How come you capitalized northerners and wrote southerners in lower case? If you have not heard northerners speak ill of the south you must live in a cave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.