Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:03 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

Always been warsh and Warshington for me. If I really concentrate and listen to how I pronounce water there might actually be another R thrown in there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:15 PM

651 posts, read 407,884 times
Pa
va
md
de
nj
ny

Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
VA and the Carolinas overall are not Mid-Atlantic.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
VA and the Carolinas overall are not Mid-Atlantic.
speak for your own state dude. We aint Siamese twins.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
speak for your own state dude. We aint Siamese twins.
You can disagree all you want and that's fine, but from my personal experiences, knowledge, and observations, I find NC and VA to be relatively similar. They do have their differences (NC is definitely more southern) but it's not like they are polar opposites. Like I said, this is only MY opinion. You can also make the point that NC is more similar to Georgia today as opposed to Virginia.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:03 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Eh, NC can be kept or left in this comparison.

VA is certifiably mid-atlantic now.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Eh, NC can be kept or left in this comparison.

VA is certifiably mid-atlantic now.
NC can definitely be left out because it's southeast, not Mid-Atlantic. You can call VA Mid-Atlantic if you want (even though the majority of that state is still pretty southern IMO) but the NC/VA border has to be the dividing line. Mid-Atlantic is more so DC metro, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc. I really don't understand why people want to classify NC as anything but what it actually is and that is southern.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
NC can definitely be left out because it's southeast, not Mid-Atlantic. You can call VA Mid-Atlantic if you want (even though the majority of that state is still pretty southern IMO) but the NC/VA border has to be the dividing line. Mid-Atlantic is more so DC metro, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc. I really don't understand why people want to classify NC as anything but what it actually is and that is southern.
There aren't many people north of Richmond, VA that would say North Carolina is part of the Mid-Atlantic region. Using the NC/VA border makes the Mid-Atlantic boundaries look nice and neat but I personally think that Mid-Atlantic culture stops between Richmond's northern suburbs and Washington DC's southern suburbs.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There aren't many people north of Richmond, VA that would say North Carolina is part of the Mid-Atlantic region. Using the NC/VA border makes the Mid-Atlantic boundaries look nice and neat but I personally think that Mid-Atlantic culture stops between Richmond's northern suburbs and Washington DC's southern suburbs.
That's actually quite accurate. Going north on I-95, I'd say you're officially out of the south and into the Mid-Atlantic when you pass Fredericksburg, VA. Apart from NOVA, I'd say Virginia is still southern overall in the Upper South way similar to North Carolina, Tennessee, and some areas of Arkansas and Kentucky. Personally, I consider Richmond to be a southern city, partly due to the fact that it was the capital of the Confederacy even if that was 150 odd years ago and the tobacco industry is pretty big around there. Columbia, SC, Raleigh, NC, and Richmond, VA are three fall line southern capitals.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
The tobacco and slave industry was also a big part of Maryland's economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.