Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
New York (n.i. NYC)
West Virginia
Virginia
Maryland
Delaware
New Jersey
I'd add South Carolina above New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 02:28 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times
The Research Triangle is much more like the Atlanta metro, same with the Charlotte area. There are transplants in the Triangle but there are also transplants in other southern cities such as Atlanta, Nashville, and Memphis. All I'm saying is that from my personal travels and experiences, I believe the Mid-Atlantic begins at NOVA. Ask anyone across the country whether North Carolina is southern or Mid-Atlantic and I guarantee you that they'll say it's southern. We know we're culturally southern down here in NC because it's a fact. Any former Confederate state will always maintain southern aspects whether people like them or not. A few urban areas that might be less culturally southern can't overpower a whole state, that is the case in NC, VA, and GA.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
As I said, Richmond, Virginia is solidly Northeastern.

Mid-Atlantic States: animated activities and games

Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
Why are there people actually entertaining BajanYankee if you're familar with him its obvious he's just fooling lol

Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM

110 posts, read 147,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As I said, Richmond, Virginia is solidly Northeastern.

Mid-Atlantic States: animated activities and games
I don't get your argument. You're picking random associations and how they group themselves geographically and assigning that to the culture of the area.

If you did that you could look at sports conferences and assume that Nebraska is in the East, Missouri is in the Southeast, and Indiana is on the Atlantic Coast.

Further...
-Virginia is one of the states affiliated with Dixie League Baseball.
-The University of Virginia and all schools in the state are governed by SACS. (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.)
-Virginia's governor is always affiliated with the Southern Governor's Convention
-The Sons of Confederate Veterans is very prominent in Virginia. Especially around Lexington.

Regional groupings for various organizations no more indicate the culture of an area more than the number of vowels in their names indicates the weather. They're culturally unrelated.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Why are there people actually entertaining BajanYankee if you're familar with him its obvious he's just fooling lol
I hope he is, because I've never met anyone from an area north of North Carolina who questioned the fact that NC is southeastern haha

Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM

19 posts, read 29,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Parts of North Carolina are indeed Mid-Atlantic.

Is there a definitive source that completely locks down the boundaries of the Middle Atlantic? What sources do you have that state that the Mid-Atlantic is only a certain collection of states and nothing more?
Virginia and North Carolina are absolutely part of the Mid-Atlantic. Culturally overall they have nothing in common with Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, etc. these days.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:44 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
Virginia is both southern and Mid Atlantic,im sure most people see NC as southern

Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 PM

19 posts, read 29,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
The Research Triangle is much more like the Atlanta metro, same with the Charlotte area. There are transplants in the Triangle but there are also transplants in other southern cities such as Atlanta, Nashville, and Memphis. All I'm saying is that from my personal travels and experiences, I believe the Mid-Atlantic begins at NOVA. Ask anyone across the country whether North Carolina is southern or Mid-Atlantic and I guarantee you that they'll say it's southern. We know we're culturally southern down here in NC because it's a fact. Any former Confederate state will always maintain southern aspects whether people like them or not. A few urban areas that might be less culturally southern can't overpower a whole state, that is the case in NC, VA, and GA.
No it's not. The Research Triangle has much more in common with Northern Virginia and the DC area than it does Atlanta. The Triangle area is no where near as southern as Nashville, Memphis, and to a smaller extent, Atlanta. I can drive around I-85 Durham and feel like I'm driving I-95 Fredericksburg. If you were to ask someone across country for example such as California, Arizona, etc. They would most likely refer to North Carolina as the east coast rather than the south. Who cares whether it was a confederate state or not. This is 2014, not 1861.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
Virginia and North Carolina are absolutely part of the Mid-Atlantic. Culturally overall they have nothing in common with Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas, etc. these days.
Have you traveled around North Carolina outside of the major urban areas/metros? Eastern NC, which is quite rural overall, is about as Deep South as the Delta Region of Mississippi and southern Alabama and southern Georgia. Practically all of the rural areas in NC and the majority of the rural areas of Virginia are still very southern. Overall, North Carolina is very similar to Georgia and there are obvious similarities between North and South Carolina. North Carolina's best pair these days is probably Virginia based off similarities, but NC also has a lot in common with the three other states that border NC (South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.